• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai: Do Not Fansub Ghost in the Shell Film

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of anything else, it's rather stupid of the fansubbers to go around publicly announcing that they're going to fansub a series like that. *rolls eyes*
cadub77

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
hahaha, like they can stop us?!?!? their scare tactics wont work, and Ill be sure to download the fansub, and then buy the movie whenever it comes to the states...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
If their makeing such a big deal about this i'm honestly guessing that they might be pushing for a quick state side release. With such a popular title they would be foolish not to get it over here quickly.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
energydan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what good it's going to do. I'm sure plenty of people will still sub the show. I'm sure there are plenty of sub groups that can and will release from other countries as well.

The warning will keep higher profile groups from doing the show but then again how many of them were really gonig to do it in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:56 pm Reply with quote
i'm sure they will happily comply... like [annonmyous] for instance, they're very well known for respecting properties.

[EDIT: Try not to mention fansub groups in public. -TK]

Last edited by v1cious on Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:00 pm Reply with quote
It's about time. Though, I really wonder how much they can really do about the fansub situation.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how the fansubbers will respond to this. I remember how Anime Junkies took it when they were asked to terminate their distribution of fansubbed, licensed titles. I hope something like that doesn't happen. Of course, back then, they were asking Anime Junkies to terminate the distribution of several licensed titles, and not just one. I wish I could dig up the article, but I don't have time. Hopefully some kind soul can dig it up to show some of the newer members of this forum what I'm talking about....
RDespair

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Go Bandai! I'd really like to see Bandai go through with their threat and legally prosecute a fansub group (assuming that there are any that fansub the film despite Bandai's warning). Mostly because I'd love to see fansubs disappear and be replaced with legal versions of the same (the actual companies offering episodes for download for a dollar or two a piece). Yeah, I know one lawsuit isn't going to destroy the entire fansub phenomenom, but it's a start.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Now I don't hate fansubs but I'm never a fansubber. And eventhough I love fansbus, I agree with Bandai because you can just watch GITS: SSS on DVD or you can wish that the movie would show on [adult swim]. Does this mean that the GITS fansubs will be gone from youtube? Because the people who upload them dont own the copyright of the show so they don't have a rght to use any clips. How will fansubbers get caucht you ask? Well many of the larger licensers have programs named after some eight-legged bugs called "spiders" that surf the web constantly for their content. They do it by searching for certain keywords. Then when the spiders find illegal clips, they will track the fansubbers down from their computer and sue them.

Last edited by Riyousha on Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
How will fansubbers get caucht oyu ask? Well many of the larger licensers have programs named after some eight-legged bugs called "spiders" that surf the web constantly for their content. They do it by searching for certain keywords. Then when the spiders find illegal clips, they will track the fansubbers down from their computer and sue them.

good luck on IRC
Steroid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Ditto Usenet. Ditto ditto that Swedish piracy site. I see that this movie is coming out on Sept. 1. Anyone want to wager that I can get a copy by the 8th? This announcement will only serve as a challenge to the fansubbers, which I expect them to meet.
Jedi_Vader20

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately you are very correct about this.

If a torrent shows up on that swedish tracker, or even on the more popular anime indexing sites, Bandai will be able to track EVERYONE that downloads and/or uploads the torrent and be able to prosecute them.

RIAA style lawsuits anyone?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
energydan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:26 pm Reply with quote
It'd be impossible to prosecute most of these groups. Once the file hits edonkey it's over. And forget how simple it is to set up a bittorrent tracker in another country.

I'm not saying people should be able to fansub shows that are licensed are going to be released in short time. But, hasn't anyone learned what happens when you start threating groups that pirate anything? If anything more groups will release their shows than before.

Last edited by energydan on Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
At least one group is going to ignore this, of course.
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:32 pm Reply with quote
While I appreciate Bandai's efforts to protect their investment (and they should, since they own the rights), they should also make a better effort in fixing their R1-DVD glitches and selling us quality DVDs as well as go after the fansubbers. Eventually these people (fansubbers) are just going to find another way of obtaining this movie without paying for it anyway, and the neo-fansubbers (those who fansub anime and don't give a damn about whether the title receives an R1 license or not) are a rabid (and unfortunately growing) breed of fans, as I found out the hard way last year.

Last edited by biliano on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 29