• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Great Teacher Onizuka Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirWence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I just finally finished the anime... and I am seriously looking into the manga since I've herd it is quite different at parts and the ending is also very differnt..Is that true? ( I suspect it is ) and Is there a certain place I should pick up the manga in the middle or start from the begining.. depending on how different they actually are.

Thanks for the info in advance! Very Happy
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
The manga isn't too different from the anime. The anime covers the first 13 (out of 25) volumes of the manga, and follows the storyline very faithfully (some minor changes here and there, but nothing very significant). The spoiler["Tomoko becomes a nation-wide idol" arc and the arc where Tomoko and Onizuka get chased by the yakuza] are both filler (in other words, Tomoko gets more character development in anime). In the manga, more characters smoke (which I personally found to be a slight turn-off), and the character designs and art are vastly superior to that of the anime. The last two episodes in the anime diverge from the manga, but do share the common similarity with the last arc of the manga in that spoiler[Miyabi was "betrayed" by a former teacher (although, besides that, they are very different)]. Besides these, the first 13 volumes of the manga are very similar to the anime series.

The ending of the manga is much better than the ending of the anime, and the arcs to follow where the anime left off are some of the best story arcs in the whole series. I would highly recommend the manga, and if you wish to continue from where you left off, start at Volume 14 (the first 1/4 overlaps the end portions of the anime; the rest starts a new arc).
SirWence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote
wow I see ok so start at 14. Then thats what I shall do May I request a spoiler though I am merely curious if spoiler[Onizuka and Azusa actually hook up.]

Thank you very much for that info I shall be reading the manga now
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
SirWence wrote:
spoiler[Onizuka and Azusa actually hook up.]

They don't, but their relationship does develop more than in the anime series. SPOILER VOL 24 - spoiler[She decares that she loves him (in her own room by herself though, so Onizuka doesn't know).]
SirWence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
well I suppose I can live with that but he doesnt spoiler[pull a disapering act like he did in the anime does he.. ]
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:45 pm Reply with quote
SirWence wrote:
spoiler[pull a disapering act like he did in the anime does he..]

Nope. spoiler[He stays where he belongs, Seirin Gakuen.]
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I picked up the manga after watching the anime. I tried to start reading from volume 14, but I found the story a little hard to follow so that drove me to start from the begining.

In the first thirteen volumes, there's very little difference between the events in the anime and those of the manga, but the manga IMO has a better flow and there are a few events that only appeared in the manga in the volumes that the anime covered that you might want to check out, it's up to you.
SirWence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Ah I see well I will check it out at 14 and if that seems a bit off ill just start from the first volume Smile.. one last thing spoiler[Is there more Anko Norbu devlopment that was probably my favorite couple near the end of the anime]
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
SirWence wrote:
spoiler[Is there more Anko Norbu devlopment that was probably my favorite couple near the end of the anime]

Yep. There's actually about half a volume more dedicated to their relationship. There's also a LOT more Urumi, and some new characters whom you'll grow to love as well.
SirWence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Ah good to hear maybe even a kiss? im guessing that would be volume 14 or 15 ?
Arkard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The manga isn't too different from the anime.

1. All the jokes in the anime were watered down so they could appeal to a wider audience.
2. All the more-spicy jokes were cut out. Also the ones that were considered "rude" were also thrown out.
3. Some story arcs are expanded in the manga, changing the situations you may know from anime.
4. The anime has some filler and mixed order of some scenes.

I would say the 2 are completely different. The manga is simply a little bit more adult oriented, in terms of crude jokes, ecchiness and general foolery. The anime seems a little more light-hearted.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Arkard wrote:
Quote:
The manga isn't too different from the anime.

1. All the jokes in the anime were watered down so they could appeal to a wider audience.
2. All the more-spicy jokes were cut out. Also the ones that were considered "rude" were also thrown out.
3. Some story arcs are expanded in the manga, changing the situations you may know from anime.
4. The anime has some filler and mixed order of some scenes.

I would say the 2 are completely different. The manga is simply a little bit more adult oriented, in terms of crude jokes, ecchiness and general foolery. The anime seems a little more light-hearted.

yeah a lot of the jokes were toned down in the anime.
Noggy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
But those four points are true most of the time when any manga is made into an anime. Anime is usually more tame than it's manga counterpart. It should be expected with any series.

It's not like we're talking about Fullmetal Alchemist or Excel Saga where the manga and anime are drastically different.

That being said, you won't miss all that much if you pick up the manga after the school trip. While I think the manga is better, I don't recall more than a handful of chapters that weren't animated (for the volumes the anime covered of course.)
Arkard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:03 am Reply with quote
True, a person wouldnt miss much of the story, but would miss out on some great jokes and story arcs. Like the... "excrement sample" or Great Tomoko Oppai. Those are classics. And with a series like Onizuka, the jokes are what actually matters.

Oh man, anyone who would deny someone the bladder-releaving arc of the Perverted Old Guys Club is a monster!!!
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote
GTO is an absolutely hilarious manga. Check it out as soon as possible, and read it from the beginning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2