• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animax India Goes All-English

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:03 am Reply with quote
that's umm... weird. i guess it makes sense though.
seedwingemp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote
That should work in India. Because there mojority of people speak english as second language then Japanies. Last time I went to India they were going to change toon Disney to all hindi and Cartoon Network is boardcasting in only hindi.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote
As others have said, makes perfect sense. Chances are Indians are going to speak english. And the fact that they are going to an all-english format, just pushes the idea that that they want there people to learn the language, especially in the cites, where the younger crowd that watches anime, will be nudged to take higher-education.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I lived in India for a while. ^^ Most of the teens that can afford TV probably already speak fairly decent English--as it is, most of them speak in a combonation of hindi and english called 'Hinglish'.

I never really thought of there being anime fans in India, though..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:39 pm Reply with quote
True, most people in India do know English as a second language. All of my family who live in India speak English fluently, so I'm guessing alot of people in their schools speak it just as well. I guess it wouldn't be bad encouraging them to watch anime when I go to India again. But, I don't think they'd be very interested in anime. I've never heard of Indian people watching anime, though. I told my cousin about FMA last time I went there, and I said it was an anime. He said, "Anime, WTF is that?"
seedwingemp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:45 am Reply with quote
Got same reaction from my family in India. The way entainment industry in India more on movie and soaps. Then when walk street all see hindi poster for english movies or hindi movies. Never saw single thing promating anime in city in India. Least in USA you can see more promotion of anime. The thing remeber really long ago before 2000's. My cousins watching anime of Jungle Book and Simba White Lion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1