• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Killer Queens

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Anime OSTs almost never have the OP/ED songs.
Lolita princess

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I think QB is a very well written ecchi but i've only watched 2 seasons I also watched it at first because i was pervy but I was glad to see a story .
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
well i liked the series. its fanservice galore which is good for otaku like myself. and even better that both MB and Sentai decided to give both season 1 , 2 and Rebellion an english dub. Kinda disapointed that the Vanquished Queens OVA didn't got licened let alone got an english dub cause those OVAs do tell some epilouges of the warriors after season 2 and if it explains what in the holy high hell that made Claudette a freaking tryant. not to mentioned her sister Elena who is already considered the most disliked lesbian character second to Nina Einstein even more worse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
Queen's Blade is nothing but a fetishistic show that panders to neckbeard otakus.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Queen's Blade is nothing but a fetishistic show that panders to neckbeard otakus.

nah. its guilty pleasure at its finest and a glee for any ecchi / fanservice otaku fanatic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:09 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I have to give this series credit. When I watched the first few episodes I thought I had lost most of my interest in fan service shows, but QB made me realize it wasn't so much the fan service as it was the boring male leads in most of those shows that had grown stale for me. Not having such a character helped a lot here.

Also, I'm glad Mike mentioned the soundtrack that came with Rebellion. I was rather disappointed that it turned out to only be background music for the show, especially since most of it wasn't that good, and seemed like a step down from the music of the first couple seasons. I suppose Sentai either couldn't get the rights to the theme songs, or the price was too high. Something similar happened with Dusk Maiden of Amnesia where the soundtrack didn't have the opening, but at least it had the ending. But, it's not like I wasn't going to buy the set anyway, so there isn't any real harm done.

Ummm actually all the songs that were released in the Blueray/DVD enclosures in the japanese releases were in the sentai release as well. It's the complete soundtrack which is easily confirmed if you look it up on vgmdb.

So I'm not sure what you mean.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:13 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Anime OSTs almost never have the OP/ED songs.

You couldn't be further from the truth. In reality it's about 50/50. I own about 72 anime cds and 40 of them had OP/ED songs included (TV Sized of course).
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:32 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

If you said Qwaser I would agree completely.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:35 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

If you said Qwaser I would agree completely.

I wouldn't, since I doubt otaku grow neckbeards.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:40 am Reply with quote
"Neckbeard" is a seriously lazy insult that says more about the person using it than the actual target of the jab.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I never had the desire to watch this anime. Though to those who do go for it! I also have never seen the latest craze attack of the titans.

Though I have seen hundreds of anime and own a large collection of box set anime as well as some manga.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I don’t understand these shows. The appeal of making an anime a constant showcase of barely clothed showcases for wildly exaggerated female bodies is inscrutable to me. I hope to mean this earnestly, not in the simpering, condescending way you that your incredible, instant adoring boyfriend would. It’s not that I don’t like boobs. I like them fine, perhaps more than I care to let on, although as I’ve gotten a little older, my sensibilities have become more ‘holistic’.

I guess that I can’t grasp why you’d want to watch Queen’s Blade rather than just take a few minutes to search for, “huge anime boobs,” then be done with it. Perhaps I just grasp certain things less than other people, but I do feel like there’s something else at work that I’m just not wired to understand. It’s a little like NASCAR. A lot of people seem to love it, but to me, it’s just the same dull, meaningless thing happening over and over again.

I’m like that with sports in general; the occasional highlight might excite me, but a whole game is unspeakable tedium. That might not be so bad if I was surrounded by a culture obsessed with professional sports, making something that I neither care for nor can understand the appeal of ubiquitous and supposedly defining of the cultural identity that I’m supposed to share. The result can be frustration and alienation. I feel like my experience with and attitude toward fanservice anime, of which Queen’s Blade is a prominent exemplar, is similar.

I’ve always found Queen’s Blade and the culture around it rather alienating. It probably discouraged me from paying anime any attention beyond what was on Adult Swim for several years. As such, I don’t understand the intense attachment to it and intense the ‘rally around the flagpoles’ behavior that insults against it provoke. Complaining about boob shows seems to inspire fiercer, more acrimonious arguments than saying that Neon Genesis Evangelion sucks or deeming Shinichirō Watanabe ‘overrated’. I recall that a few years ago when I first became interested in revivifying my interest in anime I encountered Queen’s Blade (and Ikki Tousen) for the first time. I suppose that my prior experiences had been characterized by some naïveté, but it seemed like the ubiquity, intensity and specificity of fanservice as well as the ferocity of its advocates had increased. Sometimes people seem to want to define anime by fanservice and claim anime for the b00bz. I can’t stand those people.

The lack of appeal that Queen’s Blade has to me is probably in part because fanservice inspires no investment or interest in me. I’m always baffled when people accuse anybody complaining about fanservice of being prudish or having a problem with sexuality, because it has never occurred to me that fanservice has anything to do with sexuality. If Queen’s Blade were about whom the characters wanted to have sex with, having sex with them and how they felt about that, I’d probably be far less averse to it. But as it stands, that any given character has twin scale models of the Graf Zeppelin strapped to her chest and some scraps of tin foil stretched over a little twine to cover them has little or nothing to do with that character herself or how she interacts with the world. It’s almost, if not entirely oriented toward the audience and when something so prominent in a show feels as divorced from the themes and context of the series as that, it deters me. I think that follows the comments in the column about the characters rarely being off-model, but dully animated. Queen’s Blade is seems more concerned about how certain aspects of it look to the audience than how they cohere and interact as part of a narrative.

For me, an interesting point of contrast to Queen’s Blade is Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine~. Fujiko’s body isn’t really much less absurd than those of the Queen’s Blade and I presumably shown off almost as much. Yet, it’s also portrayed very differently. Fujiko typically seems aware of her sexuality and how she relates to the world through it. In fact, that’s a major theme of the series. I don’t like Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine~ in spite of its nudity and sexuality; I like it because of those things.

Of course, I consider Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine~ a good show. Naturally my attitude toward it then is a bit relaxed, but I don’t know if the significance of that is quite what one might expect. I think that the series’ artistic ambition and thematic content would encourage me to forgive things that I’m less comfortable with, but I don’t need to because those elements are integrated into the elements that I like. With something like Queen’s Blade, perhaps the specific appeals characters are too much in the limelight. (Thank God it’s not ultraviolet) Because the way that they’re physically constructed and dressed isn’t part of their relationship to the setting and story, but is at the forefront of the show’s appeal, those elements are necessarily ancillary. I felt something similar about Senran Kagura, which is a similar kind of show. Senran Kagura was so dumb sometimes, and I think that it knew how dumb it was, that it made me laugh, but it was dissatisfying on whole. There was some hint of sexual interaction between the characters, but it was only in the form of the blonde one sexually harassing the others without any real expression of sexual identity or emotional relationship. The greater problem, however, was that as the show went on, the amusingly dumb stuff fell away in favor of a dull plot constructed from generic elements. The reveal at the end was irrelevant as a reveal because the series hadn’t developed any reason or way that somebody surprising or shocking could be revealed as the big bad. It was just some evil guy. Senran Kagura was a bunch of giant boobs floating in gruel with a few marshmallows stolen from somebody’s Lucky Charms mixed in.

So maybe ‘boob shows’ aren’t regarded by many as bad because they have lots of humongous breasts in them, but because they were made for the sake of displaying said humongous breasts, but they aren’t really about what makes those breasts of interest for display.

Or, I suppose it could just be outside the realm of what I’m capable of understanding. I find more and more how frightfully circumscribed its borders are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
And now I suddenly understand why Sentai had promotional art work on social media that looked like a sexed up Marika from Bodacious Space Pirates.....
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:30 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
And now I suddenly understand why Sentai had promotional art work on social media that looked like a sexed up Marika from Bodacious Space Pirates.....

even i could see that was a PR move by Sentai.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Heh, the Count = Burger King comparison never even occurred to me, but it's absolutely on-target.

I also agree fully with what Miike said about the animation, as he quantifies the franchise's animation issues in a way I could never describe to my satisfaction in my own reviews. He's right; few anime series are more rigorous about staying on-model than QB's are, as you'd have to search very carefully to find a bad shot of any of the characters. Even in the better-animated series that's usually not difficult to do.

And frankly, I found the omake for the first two series - the ones with the beautiful warriors in school uniforms - to be incredibly amusing, if also incredibly stupid.

Last edited by Key on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4