• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-08-18]

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote
It's not quite so cut and dry. They do earn money off a box sets, but significantly less in most cases, especially with thinpaks. They're released more as a second wave to attract the other portion of the market that didn't purchase the single volumes for various reasons. It's their chance to earn a bit more from the rest of the market, although not as much as they earn from the singles. The problem is even though they might earn a little from the box sets it's not enough for them to make back the costs if they released only box sets and no single volumes.

Box sets really represent the minimum possible gains they can get from a full release of the series. They're not really losing anything unless the boxes don't sell but what they're gaining also pales in comparison to single volumes and wouldn't be enough to fund a series on its own.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PaladinBlue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I think the rant has some good points (primarily that fansub watchers sometimes put too much stock in the impact of fansubs), but it sounds like the writer is calling almost all fansub watchers pirates. While there are definitely many who will watch fansubs in place of buying DVDs (anyone been to AnimePaper's forums?), most of the ones I've met online and off rarely, if ever, download licensed series (or claim to), and they will buy all of what they download, unless they hated what little they watched. Hell, with some of these people, I've had very long discussions about what VA would be good as who when/if a particular series were licensed by a particular company (last one I remember is a discussion about Haruhi's cast under the assumption that it will be licensed by ADV).

Of course, there *are* also the titles that don't get licensed, and likely never will. I would love to see Nanoha get a dub, but I'm not going to fool myself into thinking that it'll get licensed. In fact, the chance of that one being licensed by anybody is very slim. There just isn't a market for straight magical girl shows ever since Sailor Moon's hype died down. I'm still surprised that Kannazuki no Miko was licensed (though I am hoping that Kashimashi and Strawberry Panic! follow it, if it was successful).

On the subject of anime DVDs, I have had a steady job for about half-a-year now, and a temp job at Suncoast over last Christmas (nothing from before), yet I still have 120 DVDs, or so I've remembered to list. I probably have some more that I've forgotten about, and in those, there are only four boxset releases (not counting vol. 1 + box that I am quite fond of): Rayearth, Rayearth 2, Avenger, and Happy Lesson, all of which were purchased after I had steady income. Anime DVDs may be expensive, but you can garner quite a collection just by moderating your spending. I've managed to purchase, through singles, all released of UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie thus far and Kannazuki no Miko, including the box with vol. 1 and the limited edition vol. 3, and I still have plenty of cash to buy the textbooks I need for school plus the gas needed for my car. Before the period I had a steady income, I pretty much used what cash I got from my grandmother and aunt for birthdays and Christmas for anime.

They might be expensive, and I know that not everyone here has a steady income to draw on, but just develop proper spending habits and you'll be able to buy all you want and still have enough to make a living, and you don't have to look far to find a good deal. My Best Buy's anime section might be lackluster, but I can find all I need for $20 for special order at Hastings, or I can order online (in the case of KannaMiko 3 LE).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MoGx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Hello.

Today I have uploaded 25gb of anime, which is my duty to humanity. I will do this every day with my 10mbit-line until I cease to exist. Why? Because Fansubs is Gods gift to us! Well, its the fansubbers gift, but:
Fansubbers = Gods.
I will never buy an anime on DVD and even if I would, it would be just because the cover look nice and I want to hang it on my wall.
Anime should be watched on the computer, or at a convention.
By the way, when I saw that ANN talked about Dubs in their reviews I laughed like hell. Dubbing is pure destruction.

I will vote on the Pirate Party to make sure that Sweden will become the Heavenly Anime Upload Paradise that the world will leech from, forever and ever.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:25 pm Reply with quote
MoGx wrote:
Hello.

Today I have uploaded 25gb of anime, which is my duty to humanity. I will do this every day with my 10mbit-line until I cease to exist. Why? Because Fansubs is Gods gift to us! Well, its the fansubbers gift, but:
Fansubbers = Gods.
I will never buy an anime on DVD and even if I would, it would be just because the cover look nice and I want to hang it on my wall.
By the way, when I saw that ANN talked about Dubs in their reviews I laughed like hell. Dubbing is pure destruction.

I will vote on the Pirate Party to make sure that Sweden will become the Heavenly Anime Upload Paradise that the world will leech from, forever and ever.

My poop smells like strawberries.

But please assume room-temperature as soon as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
MoGx wrote:
Hello.

Fansubbers = Gods.

Augh......I just don't understand people, fansubbers=gods..... well I guess so.....and on what day did they rest.

You state that anime should be watched only on computer and convention, yet the originals that you watch are normally viewed over television station first.
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
MoGx wrote:
Hello.

Fansubbers = Gods.

Mmm...that's good sarcasm!

(I hope...)
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:

Mmm...that's good sarcasm!

I can only hope so!
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
MoGx wrote:
<lack of sarcasm>

Yes these people exist.
...I'm afraid.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
MoGx wrote:
<lack of sarcasm>

Yes these people exist.
...I'm afraid.

Well, atleast they're in Sweeden!
Yenkaz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:40 pm Reply with quote
He is not being sarcastic.

Trust me, i know him unfortunately
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
MoGx wrote:
Hello.

Fansubbers = Gods.

But why? Why should you be fansubbing? Isn't that illegal? You know, Bandai is suing fansubers by telling them to not fansub GITS. And there's nothing wrong with dubs (except the One Piece dub. Thanks alot, 4kids. Evil or Very Mad ). Besides, I don't care whether a bud is good or bad. As long as the show is cool, I don't have to whine about the dub. So watch GITS on [adult swim], OK.

On a similar note, MPAA and the RIAA are suing YouTube users for uploading way too many copyrighted videos. But thank god I didn't upload any copyrighted material on YouTube. Mr. Green

So if you're a fansubber, please don't think that they won't catch you. They've got programs named after a bug that bit Peter Parker that surf the interweb for content. and when the spiders find the illegal files, companies will most likely sue you.

So because GITS is licensed, it's illegal to download it. Just catch it on [adult swim] or get a DVD. That's the best solution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
But why? Why should you be fansubbing? Isn't that illegal?

Jesus christ Riyousha you know those answers.

Quote:
You know, Bandai is suing fansubers by telling them to not fansub GITS.

No, they're threatening to sue if they fansub. No legal action has taken place yet (that people know about)

Quote:
And there's nothing wrong with dubs (except the One Piece dub. Thanks alot, 4kids. Evil or Very Mad ).

Watch more dubs. There's quite a few stinkers out there.

Quote:
Besides, I don't care whether a dub is good or bad. As long as the show is cool, I don't have to whine about the dub. So watch GITS on [adult swim], OK.

What point are you trying to make.

Quote:
So if you're a fansubber, please don't think that they won't catch you. They've got programs named after a bug that bit Peter Parker that surf the interweb for content. and when the spiders find the illegal files, companies will most likely sue you.

STOP BEING SUCH A GIMMICK.

Quote:
So because GITS is licensed, it's illegal to download it.

FYI it was always illegal to download it, licensed in the US or not.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:11 am Reply with quote
MoGx wrote:
Because Fansubs is Gods gift to us!

Riyousha wrote:
But thank god I didn't upload any copyrighted material on YouTube.

Apparently we all DO have our own personal gods.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:18 am Reply with quote
Well hey, the temptations are out there, we might think that we're not going to download fansubs, but no one is perfect. I'm sure there are some people here who have given into the temptation (I thought I would never give into the temptation of hentais).
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't download most anime because I know I probably won't buy it if I've already seen it for free. As an adult I understand that living by my own values and morals is more important than getting a quick fix. I also understand that if everyone simply downloaded their anime then future anime titles would face the possibility of becoming less and less common.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13