• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ace of Diamond (TV) (All Seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 92

The Blue Fire Windmill strikes again. Smile I do really like Furuya. But I'm getting tired of the reporter girl who doesn't seem to know jack about baseball. I realize she's supposed to be a pov character for viewers who don't either, but it's gotten to the point where you wonder how she got her job.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:31 am Reply with quote
Man they're really stretching out Umemiya's at-bat.......
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:46 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Man they're really stretching out Umemiya's at-bat.......

It's similar from what I remember actually from the way it was originally done. I agree though about stretching the part. Maybe it was to really get the audience fired up.

Nice episode overall but Ace of Cliffhanger strikes again.
Guess we'll wait next week to see what happens. Exciting match though with the mind games going on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
It's similar from what I remember actually from the way it was originally done. I agree though about stretching the part. Maybe it was to really get the audience fired up.

I've read the manga, but even though the at-bat took close to 50 pages, they didn't make you wait until the next volume to find out what happens. ^^; (Not that we don't already know.)

Stark700 wrote:
Nice episode overall but Ace of Cliffhanger strikes again.

Haha! That's good.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow, they drew out that last pitch so long I thought they'd be called out for delay of game. But lol at Miyuki and Sawamura's evil cackling.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Ha, I liked the scene with Sawamura and Miyuki snickering. I feel like the series' humor and comedic timing has improved a lot since those 90s-esque first few episodes. But wow are they stretching out this game!

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 92

The Blue Fire Windmill strikes again. Smile I do really like Furuya. But I'm getting tired of the reporter girl who doesn't seem to know jack about baseball. I realize she's supposed to be a pov character for viewers who don't either, but it's gotten to the point where you wonder how she got her job.

I'm sort of tired of both reporters. Neither add anything to the story other than to narrate, and most of the stuff they talk about is pretty obvious. Granted, it's based on a shounen manga so them spelling everything out isn't exactly surprising. But really, there has to be a better way! I rather listen to one of the players.

I agree that the female reporter's inclusion feels really odd when she knows so little. If she was an intern or fresh out of college it might work better, but she looks to be late 20s/early 30s so...
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
I'm sort of tired of both reporters. Neither add anything to the story other than to narrate, and most of the stuff they talk about is pretty obvious. Granted, it's based on a shounen manga so them spelling everything out isn't exactly surprising. But really, there has to be a better way! I rather listen to one of the players.

Same. And I also get kind of tired of the club buchou. You know, that old guy in the back of the coach who's always yelling "Kawakami~~!!!!" whenever something goes wrong. The guy needs to have a little more faith in Sawamura.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
^^^
I've come to love that guy's reactions.

...I'm not sure we've ever seen what he's good at to deserve a position on the staff, but watching him freak out is always welcome.

Part of it is is that he never actually wastes time like the reporters, the guys from other teams, the mindless spectators. He's just a reaction face in the background. I kind of want a supercut of his reaction faces.

But mostly, this episode reminded me why I waited two months to watch the end of the last tournament and downloaded versions that allowed me to play at accelerated speeds.

23-24 minutes, most of two batters.
major case of "just throw the %$*#ing ball already!"

and it's just the second freakin' game of the tournament!

next game. Not watching til it's over.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I think I like him more than the reporters because his parts are so short and he's mostly for comedic relief. I'm more just wondering why exactly he's in that position. He doesn't seem to know a whole bunch about baseball, never offers encouragement/advice to the players, and freaks out completely whenever Furuya or Sawamura falter. Isn't there...someone better?

The games can take a bit, but honestly I'm fine with the pace. I feel like it has a pretty nice clip for a long-running sports anime.

I do wonder what will happen when the show catches up to the manga, though. I'd assume they'd pause before a game so there wouldn't be a break in the middle. I'm curious to see if they'd choose a hiatus or filler eps. Self-contained character spotlight or team shenanigans/bonding episodes might work pretty well.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
Isn't there...someone better?

Rei seems like she would be better. Unfortunately, I think she's just a recruiter, so she gets stuck in the bleachers with the other two team managers
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Mm, as expected...Seido takes the win. I feel like they can keep up this momentum with the way they are playing despite some of the risky moves Eijun has been pulling out.

A more refreshing episode this week with the second half. I'm hoping the next match will be even more exciting.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm also tired of the stereotypical idiot female reporter that needs to have everything mansplained to her. It's possible to portray that same information among two equal colleagues.

Also echoing the idiot assistant coach who basically tells you whether or not the head coach's decision will work based on how much he disagrees with it, since he's always 100% wrong about EVERYTHING. Any assistant coach that panics after one pitch would get asked by the head coach to leave the dugout and never come back.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 94

Double plays are so rare in this series, it's really disappointing that they decided to get all artsy about it instead of just showing us the 1-6-3 DP straight up, especially with Kuramochi's great leap over the incoming runner. Nothing better than that smack! ... smack! sound effect of the ball hitting each glove. Very Happy

Seems like it's about time for the kid everyone's arguing about to step up and tell them what he thinks of it all, to put an end to it, instead of lurking outside eavesdropping while they keep fighting about him.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 96

I don't know if he's actually helping or throwing a wrench into the works. I think he's intending the latter, but will maybe be surprised that it doesn't turn out as he expects? I think it bothered me most that even Miyuki was rattled by him.

At least Nabe finally spoke up and told them he was ok, so they can put that issue to rest. I guess they actually resolved that whole thing rather nicely, from a story pov, with them going to different people to get advice and all.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:34 am Reply with quote
I have a bit of mixed thoughts about assistant coach. He was being brutally honest with his thoughts on the team although it does hold some truth. Not a very positive way to motivate a team imo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 23