• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ace of Diamond (TV) (All Seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I have a bit of mixed thoughts about assistant coach. He was being brutally honest with his thoughts on the team although it does hold some truth. Not a very positive way to motivate a team imo.

I think his viewpoint is motivation is less important than being good at what you do and perfecting your technique. Seems to be the major ideological difference between the old coach and the new one.

To his point, have the pitchers at Seidou ever improved? Tanba improved his self-confidence over 3 years, but in the end he's the guy that pitched terrible against Inashiro and couldn't even finish 3 innings in his final game. He was out-pitched by the two first years on his own team. Katoka is a great motivator and his player train very hard for him and never give up, but there's a reason why his teams never make it to Koshien despite all the talent they have every year, right? Kawakami has been there for nearly 2 full years, has he improved? Both Sawamura and Furuya have already passed him by on talent alone.

Ochiai obviously has a lot to learn about treating his kids with respect instead of like employees of a professional team. He needs to lighten up and understand it takes more than phenomenal talents to create a quality team, but I do appreciate his refreshing honesty and his technical knowledge. I feel like his hands-on training is going to help Sawamura more than Katoka's dramatic speeches.
Z3r0theCrypt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I believe the new coach might not become the actual coach. this whole coach thing comes off as a coach "arc" where they make the coach not quit even when he's thinking about it. I mean honestly I see seido playing in the nationals though I don't know if they will win it but this is obviously a build up for inashiro vs seido In the spring. so them getting to nationals will build up the hype and make the coach reconsider leaving. also in the end sawamura is going to be the ace. he's the main character and his whole thing is he is the underdog hence why furuya is the ace right now. furuyas injury has to be a build up to some future injury that's going to propel sawamura to the front and since he's about to get a breaking ball along with his pitching style he's going to be the ace soon.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 98

I didn't like how they make it all Sawamura's fault that he let two runs happen. One of those was his teammate's stupid shout out, and the other was an error on the bases. Also, it's not like anyone's been hitting anything on their side. I think it was Miyuki's misjudgement to call for the new pitch so early on. Seems like something you'd want to save for when you have a big lead (or any lead, for that matter) and the other team starts hitting his usual pitches. Besides, I learned in Buffy the Vampire Slayer that a baseball team has 9 players. Smile

What the heck was with our intrepid reporters this time? They looked like they were getting ready to leave in the first inning, and then just got caught up in watching the game. They were really distracting when they're still standing at the exit several innings later. Sit down already! Don't you have some notes to take?
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Finally caught up again. Still enjoying this as much as I always have.

One thing is bothering me at the moment though. The anime has surprisingly not addressed Eijun's failure to be a valuable batter. Sure if he's in a position to do so his bunting is useful. But I don't think I've seen the guy make a SINGLE good hit off of anyone so far. The show usually just uses it for comedic relief but that's not something I'm really fond of. This exactly why Furuya is overall a better than Eijun. He can field, pitch and is able to get hits off of good pitchers. He's a full package. With Eijun you are just getting half of what you want. That's a pretty big issue if you ask me. In the game vs Teito (i think) they intentionally walked Miyuki because they knew Zono wouldn't be an issue (or so they thought). The same thing could end up being done to Eijun which could lead to some major issues if they need to score in a particular inning. I know that pitchers tend to be the worst batters (for obvious reasons) but a crutch is a crutch.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:20 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:

One thing is bothering me at the moment though. The anime has surprisingly not addressed Eijun's failure to be a valuable batter. Sure if he's in a position to do so his bunting is useful. But I don't think I've seen the guy make a SINGLE good hit off of anyone so far. The show usually just uses it for comedic relief but that's not something I'm really fond of. This exactly why Furuya is overall a better than Eijun. He can field, pitch and is able to get hits off of good pitchers. He's a full package. With Eijun you are just getting half of what you want. That's a pretty big issue if you ask me. In the game vs Teito (i think) they intentionally walked Miyuki because they knew Zono wouldn't be an issue (or so they thought). The same thing could end up being done to Eijun which could lead to some major issues if they need to score in a particular inning. I know that pitchers tend to be the worst batters (for obvious reasons) but a crutch is a crutch.

Pitching is a very unique skill. Many of the best pitchers on earth cannot swing a bat above the level of an amatuer. The vast majority of big league pitchers will bunt in any situation with men on base and less than two outs.

It may or may not get addressed, but a pitcher that is horrible at the plate is not rare at all. Any team at any level will start the best pitcher regardless of how well he swings a bat.

Btw, Furuya has already shown that his fielding sucks. He misplays balls in the outfield. He often drops throws back to the mound from Miyuki. Sawamura is actually a better fielder than Furuya at this point. He's hardly perfect. He's a good power hitter and he's got a cannon arm, but that doesn't qualify him as the "full package." He still doesn't really have a good third pitch, he's not good defensively, he's mentally unstable and he gets fatigued too quickly.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:33 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:

Pitching is a very unique skill. Many of the best pitchers on earth cannot swing a bat above the level of an amatuer. The vast majority of big league pitchers will bunt in any situation with men on base and less than two outs.

It may or may not get addressed, but a pitcher that is horrible at the plate is not rare at all. Any team at any level will start the best pitcher regardless of how well he swings a bat.

Btw, Furuya has already shown that his fielding sucks. He misplays balls in the outfield. He often drops throws back to the mound from Miyuki. Sawamura is actually a better fielder than Furuya at this point. He's hardly perfect. He's a good power hitter and he's got a cannon arm, but that doesn't qualify him as the "full package." He still doesn't really have a good third pitch, he's not good defensively, he's mentally unstable and he gets fatigued too quickly.

You kind of told me what I already knew. I know pitchers suck at batting. I was simply pointing it out to add to reasons Furuya is overall better. I don't remember Furuya sucking in the outfield (I'm talking about when he's not on the mound btw) during the first season. His cannon arm is what prevented runners from taking more bases than they usually would. And I don't remember him making any glaring mistakes out there like some of the other fielders who have proper training made THIS season.

Right now I'd say Furuya is the best pitcher for the team at the moment. He has rough starts to games and his hardly consistent but he doesn't get as nervous or nor does he break down nearly as easily compared to Eijun. Eijun is VERY situational. He does better when he's not under too much pressure and when the team currently has momentum. I'll say that he has steadily been getting over that heap as the show has progressed (this game is a pretty huge indication of that). However, so has Furuya. He nearly lasted the entire game last time WHILE suffering an injury. If that isn't a sign his fatigue issues are almost nonexistent I don't know what is.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Furuya has already missed balls in the outfield because he didn't take the right angles. Yes he's got a cannon arm and can throw guys out at the plate, but that's throwing, not fielding. The ability to catch the ball is way more important than the ability to throw it back.

On the other hand, Sawamura has had a role in several put-outs and double plays already from the mound. He's not good elsewhere, but as a pitcher his fielding has actually been pretty good.

And yes, Furuya nearly gimmicked his way to a complete game against Ugumori, but he gave up 7 runs in doing so. His strength is his power arm, but it wasn't nearly as effective because (a) he can't throw hard for 9 innings and (b) he has no effective 3rd pitch so batters can sit on his fastball if it loses any velocity at all.

Sawamura is hardly ready either. He started out further behind than anyone on the team and he's had more ground to make up. It's his first full year playing real high-level baseball. That said, there are things he's good at right now, and there are things Furuya still struggles with.

Is Furuya a better pitcher/player at this point? Yes. That's why he's the current ace. But the difference gap is closer than it was before the start of the current tournament.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 100

That was just wonderful. Beautiful plays, beautiful animation, lovely framing, good humor. They did a solid job of trying to make Oya sympathetic, but it was just too high a wall to scale. There was never a moment where I felt bad for Wakabayashi, and just imagining how he'd have been if they'd won, yuck.

Furuya is always hilarious when he's aflame, and I loved seeing Haruichi finally get his act together and make Ochiai eat his words.

But the most amazing and wonderful thing was how the ball stayed round throughout the episode! No pancaked, quivering oblongs here. Never in anime has a baseball looked so photogenic. Very Happy
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:21 am Reply with quote
Definitely one of my favorite episodes of the series. Sawamura was on fire.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:05 am Reply with quote
A strong episode. We were finally able to see the culmination of Sawamura's efforts. This put him more at Furuya's level. It will be interesting to see how Furuya reacts. He was obviously stressing about it in the dugout. There's a lot on his shoulders; he has to defend his title, but I'd think his history would exacerbate his desire to keep his position. He spent so long unable to fit in.

Looks like we get some spoiler[child!Furuya flashbacks. Despite not reading the manga, I wound up reading about it a while back]. Furuya has been getting lots of baseball-playing screentime compared to Sawamura, but we've been short-changed on his emotional state. Granted, part of that is because he's so introverted and he was (still is?) in the process of overcoming his trust issues established early in the show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
Even more important, we were finally able to see Haruichi's eyes! I think this is a first, isn't it?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
I believe it's happened a couple times before? It's been a bit though, because it only happens when he's batting and they haven't been putting much focus on him in-game for awhile.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
It's actually happened several times but yeah it's pretty much ONLY when he's up to bat and gets a good hit.

This episode is a great example of what makes this anime shine. When character has been dragged through the dirt so many times when you finally get to see them shine through hard work and determination it just gets you so hype! Smile

I still think Furuya is a tad more valuable at the moment though. They were playing a team that was only a little above average. Against better teams I don't think Sawamura's change-up/fastball combo will carry him through the whole game. It only worked so well this game because he JUST learned it before the game which means the other team didn't have time to prepare for it. The game only changed into their favor when he managed to throw the change-up properly. I won't call his success a fluke as he's made vast improvements. If he were to pitch an entire game again and have the same results I'd change my opinion on who's better at pitching (though Furuya is still overall more valuable with his hitting ability).
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
I agree that Furuya is more valuable right now. Judging by the preview, this next episode might be a catalyst-flashback type--after Sawamura's game, he's probably going to start pushing himself harder. So we'll see where he goes now that the difference is slighter.

Though Sawamura is the main character, I empathize more with Furuya. I want him to be the ace because of all that he went through. Sawamura was stuck with burgeoning talent and a low quality team, but was still recognized and invited to Seido. He had friends. Furuya was ostracized and didn't really play in games, so no one knew who he was. He decided to follow Miyuki and test into Seido, even though he's terrible at studying, and still needed to overcome his hangups about trusting his team once he got there. I'll be a little sad when (if?) Sawamura becomes the ace, partially because it will involve the number actively being taken away.

On the bright side, at least Sawamura's recent improvements will make it believable. Before, he seemed so far behind that it would've felt forced. I have been wondering how it might play out, though. If the two are about equal, it would make sense to keep the one the team grows with (Furuya). I can't see Sawamura becoming so amazing that he drastically overtakes him, but it can't be counted out. I guess Furuya could suffer an arm injury. Or maybe Miyuki graduating will weaken his foundation? Sawamura has experience using multiple catchers, but Furuya is almost always with Miyuki. That's on top of Miyuki being significant as a trustworthy upperclassman/reason for even attending.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 101

Where was the tag at home plate on that out? It wasn't a force, but if the catcher's arm up was supposed to be the end of the upward swipe rather than where he caught the ball in the previous shot, it was poorly executed.

Nice to see Furuya getting curious attention from all his teammates.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 23