• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ace of Diamond (TV) (All Seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 102

I keep worrying that Ochiai is going to throw everybody's game off with his scheming. I hope the kids keep showing him up like Sawamura and Haruichi did.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh, new OP and ED! I think it might be my favorite Daiya ED, visually at least.

Ochiai seems to be very, very slowly coming around. He stills sees Sawamura as a tool to either push Furuya to become better or to stand in when Furuya is injured/sick, but he admits there is potential there. Other kids are taking his advice on muscle training, too, so he's not just splintering their team. It's an odd relationship.

I guess this was the first time Furuya's been seriously told he's a prodigy? I kinda want to see how Furuya and Miyuki interact this next game. We've had a lot of the Sawamura-Miyuki dynamic, mostly as a result of Sawamura's improvements, but not so much Furuya-Miyuki. The last few games had some sour notes, too: Furuya losing his momentum after the rain break, then in the next game ignoring Miyuki's call. He's pretty eager to prove himself after Sawamura's game, so it'll be interesting to see how he does.

And hey, Kawakami is relevant again! I have a soft spot for him. Maybe it's because nothing ever goes his way. Even the first episode had him being yelled at by an upperclassman for his pitching. Sort of set the tone for his presence since. He and Miyuki are on a first name basis, though, so they must be pretty comfortable with each other.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 28 S2

Where did Kawakami go...? Has he just been sitting in one of the dugouts and I failed to notice him?

Ouch, this show is really going after Furuya now. He hasn't been having much positive time since the start of the season. Even good events are punctuated with failure and, unlike Sawamura, there's no guarantee he'll come back from it. Hopefully he'll at least be able to shine next time his grandfather watches him play.

It'll probably do Kuramochi well to hit left. Personally, I think Haruichi should switch to the metal bat. He doesn't have Raichi's explosiveness to make up for the bat's shortcomings. It's important to him to use a wooden bat, but he's at a perfect age for exploiting the metal bats. Every hit counts.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I really like the new ED visually, but this "Bloom of Youth" crap makes it seem like the target audience is Guy-sensei and 60 year old codgers. Smile No one actually in the "bloom of youth" thinks of it that way.

Nice to see everyone getting their moment in the spotlight.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
That new coach is a good coach. Everything he does or askes the players do make sense.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
Pretty interesting background story of Kataoka and Sasaki. It's always nice to know a bit about the coaches and their past. Not much Eijun except for a few reaction faces this week. As for Seido, I think they are going to do quite well for Fall this season especially with the roster they got now. Could need some improvement still but I have good confidence in them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I...actually felt worse for Kawakami after the faculty adviser (or whoever he is) called him is favorite. Like that's all he's got going for him. Though it's also nice to see him being lumped with Furuya and Sawamura for a change. He's a character I can appreciate. He tries really, really hard, despite us never seeing the team really act as a supportive safety net. Miyuki's been better with him lately, but not too long ago he was ready to leave him to sort himself out after their spoiler[defeat at national's].

Y'know, I'd actually be okay with Faculty Adviser giving a little monologue about why Kawakami is his favorite. He doesn't do much other than freak out, so it would be a nice change of pace, and would give Kawakami's character a boost.

Looking forward to another game! Furuya is back after coming off an injury and is eager to show his worth/breaking ball, Sawamura is finally at a fairly formidable level, and Kawakami is a real asset instead of the obligatory relief pitcher. This is the strongest the team has been in a while.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty excited for the semi-final match tbh. With all the buildup and excitement as well as that pledge near the end, I have high confidence that they will adapt this well.

Quote:
ARE YOU READY TO FIGHT?

I'm so ready for next week's episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Furuya no Ace~

Decent episode and tense match this week. I feel like there's a bit of mind game going on. And he is described as "The Monster" in a few cases. I feel like he isn't going to last long unless he changes that recent attitude of his. Loved the inner dialogues though especially during the pitching scenes.

As far as the progress of the story goes, Eijun needs to wake him up. I have more faith in him as a future ace but who knows. Furuya's recent attitude really may take him to a place he'll regret.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I really hope they don't have Furuya break down permanently. That would be too sad.

I keep wondering if Miyuki is also in danger, after that hbp. The pitcher doesn't seem to worried about hitting him again. Without Miyuki, that would be pretty disastrous.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I still have mixed thoughts about Furuya. Honestly, I think he has his own interpersonal problems but also can be a good ace as well for the team. I think his character is shaping up to look strong again in this season.

Decent match this week as well and for some reason, I find some of the shifting between the various flashbacks to be neatly done.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
And Furuya finally has some time back in the spotlight! Plus acknowledgement from Miyuki twice in a single game. Now it's Sawamura's turn to struggle--hard to watch after Furuya's moment.

Furuya has interpersonal issues, but they're mostly a result of natural introversion and his past teammates' behavior. Miyuki says really early on that his introverted personality isn't a problem, but they've been working to correct his trust issues since. He's grown a lot there; this episode he only needed to look around to affirm their support. Before, they'd have to call out to him.

I'm more wondering what will happen when the team gets shuffled again later down the road. Furuya has a good relationship with Miyuki and a friendly rivalry with Sawamura, but he doesn't appear particularly close with anyone else. Losing Miyuki as a catcher/team captain/senpai might impact him more than the others.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of that, they don't really seem to have any top shelf catchers besides Miyuki. Not only is there a question of who can step into his shoes when it's time for him to go, but what happens if he gets injured during the season?

But he's still a second year, so barring injury, they've got some time to groom or recruit someone of his caliber.

Hard to imagine that the anime will last long enough to find out, but we can hope. :)
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Having not read the manga... I think the replacement catcher will be that middle schooler we saw in the audience way back when. He was more the emotionless blond type and with some friend who asked him who he wanted to catch for.

The biggest issue I see with that character is that his personality might not mesh with the pitchers. Miyuki works well because he can play off both Sawamura and Furuya. He's good at reading them, even though Furuya barely emotes, and can respond accordingly. Of course, there's still time for Sawamura and Furuya to grow into reliable senpai. Right now they're still pretty dependent on Miyuki and the others for guidance. From a viewer standpoint: Miyuki is a really dynamic character you don't see often, so he's interesting and fun to watch.

I hope it lasts! It airs in a normal-people-hour slot and has 3-4k disc sales priced like a late night anime, so there's that at least...
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I think I found Kaneamaru's observation on when the right time to kick Sawamura when he's panicking a little funnier than it was supposed to be. A little levity is nice, but it probably shouldn't completely erase all the tension
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 23