• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ace of Diamond (TV) (All Seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
if you care about people's feeling in sports, you shouldn't play any sports. You are supposed to beat down your opponents, their feeling don't matter. Eijun should quit too if he cares about what the other teams feeling

Wow, you must really hate Eyeshield 21. :Laughing:
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:29 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
if you care about people's feeling in sports, you shouldn't play any sports. You are supposed to beat down your opponents, their feeling don't matter. Eijun should quit too if he cares about what the other teams feeling

Wow, you must really hate Eyeshield 21. :Laughing:

i never watch that anime, so i don't know.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:45 am Reply with quote
Well you seem to have learned your sense of sportsmanship at the Cobra Kai dojo.

The goal of sports is not to beat down your opponents but to outperform them, as well as your own previous efforts. Whether you have empathy for your opponents afterward is between you and your sense of being a human being.

But as far as the anime goes, what would you have them do? spoiler[End the series the moment Seido loses, or ditch the original cast and follow Inashiro's journey through Koshien? Or just never allow an anime sports team to lose so that it's not an issue?]
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:54 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Well, Stark does. I do as well, probably Gina and Gokumew2 as well. I'd be willing to bet lots of other people who are watching and/or reading this do too.

Spotlesseden wrote:

You're comparing Sports with Sports Anime, and they are not entirely the same. With sports, you only get to see things from the outside as a spectator. Of course you only care about whether or not the team you're rooting for wins or loses. With sports anime however, you get to go behind the scenes. You don't cheer for a team in the same way as you would an actual sport so I don't think they make for good comparisons.

Have you ever watched Koshien btw? It's pretty heart breaking to see the losing team cry. In professional sports, people are playing and getting money for it-- It's their job. With school sports, people are playing for reasons other than monetary rewards. (Though you could argue that scholarships are a monetary reward in a way, and could lead to becoming a professional, but most people do not make a career out of it.)

There's more emotional investment in the players when it comes to sports anime so of course we care more about them than when compared to professional athletes in real sports.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
getchman wrote:
Well, Stark does. I do as well, probably Gina and Gokumew2 as well. I'd be willing to bet lots of other people who are watching and/or reading this do too.

Spotlesseden wrote:

You're comparing Sports with Sports Anime, and they are not entirely the same. With sports, you only get to see things from the outside as a spectator. Of course you only care about whether or not the team you're rooting for wins or loses. With sports anime however, you get to go behind the scenes. You don't cheer for a team in the same way as you would an actual sport so I don't think they make for good comparisons.

Have you ever watched Koshien btw? It's pretty heart breaking to see the losing team cry. In professional sports, people are playing and getting money for it-- It's their job. With school sports, people are playing for reasons other than monetary rewards. (Though you could argue that scholarships are a monetary reward in a way, and could lead to becoming a professional, but most people do not make a career out of it.)

There's more emotional investment in the players when it comes to sports anime so of course we care more about them than when compared to professional athletes in real sports.

I'm talking about playing sports, you are talking about watching sports. totally different thing.

Again, if you care about your opponent that much, the best way to do it is not to beat them. If you don't want to beat them and hurt their feeling, then the best way to do it is not to play any sports.

Eijun wasn't this kind of person for the entire series. he doesn't care about what people feel. he has no manner on the mound, celebrating all the time. then he choked and starting to care about his opponent's feeling during the 9 inning, that's a no no.

Teams would send you to a sports psychology if they know you always choke or feel sorry about your opponents during critical moment.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Sawamura has hardly been a competitive automaton the whole series, he's just socially inept and wears his heart on his sleeve. He didn't choke because he was concerned about their feelings, he choked because he lost his confidence after causing a potentially career-ending injury, exactly the sort of injury that kept Tanba out of the series all summer. He's a freshman with little game experience under his belt, so reacting that way doesn't mean he needs a trip to the shrink, for Pete's sake.

Quote:
Again, if you care about your opponent that much, the best way to do it is not to beat them. If you don't want to beat them and hurt their feeling, then the best way to do it is not to play any sports.

That's why I mentioned Eyeshield. Knowing they'll be sad if they lose, and empathizing with that doesn't mean you don't try to beat them. Not playing your best against them is insulting, and is also a no no. Just because you're opponents on the field doesn't mean you can't be friends off it, and this is especially true in modern professional sports where your opponent one day may be your teammate the next and vice versa.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
I'm talking about playing sports, you are talking about watching sports. totally different thing.

Okay, let me get this straight. You are saying that Sawamura shouldn't be playing baseball because he broke down after hitting an opponent in the head with a ball? Because he showed "feelings" for his opponents and broke down after the hit? Sawamura was entrusted by his coach and team to deliver. Instead, he accidentally hit a batter in the head which, like Gina mentioned, could have been very grave for the batter. Not only that but it put his team in a bad position. He made a mistake when his team was counting on him which resulted in him losing confidence.

Gina's already pointed out that Sawamura went downhill because he lost confidence but for a second I'll entertain your idea that Sawamura had "feelings" for his opponents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUWIh6p1vMY
Watch this clip from this past MLB pre-season and tell me again that the batter Perez shouldn't be playing baseball because he showed concern for Chapman. By your logic, Perez should just shrug it off and he isn't allowed to let this one accident affect him. Heck, if you want to take it to the extreme, by your logic a soldier isn't allowed to get PTSD because they are trained to kill and shouldn't show "feelings" for the enemy.

The fact is that traumatic experiences can affect a person. What can cause trauma varies from person to person and for Sawamura, hitting someone in a very critical part of the body like the head had an impact on him. I don't think his reaction or what transpired afterward was far-fetched or unlike how a real person, professional or amateur, might have reacted. Losing confidence in yourself after committing a mistake is not so unusual.

Manga spoiler related to this incident:
spoiler[Because of this play, Sawamura is traumatized and can no longer throw to the inside like he used to for fear of hitting the batter again. To me it's the same as someone who is scared to get into a car after being in a car accident.]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
well, ok. Certainly didn't expect Sawamura to get over that so quickly. good for him. but now I'm kinda sad that spoiler[Kataoka is leaving]. he'd a good guy
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Personally I found the coach's response disappointing and maybe it shows he isn't the best coach.

An important lesson for players is to get over set backs and the coach needs to be able to do the same thing.

Also he seems obsessed with the 3rd years. Maybe those kids meant a lot to him and I understand but don't forget the kids that are left behind. And I realize he plans to stay on for a bit longer but I think the team needs their coach more than ever.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, that ending sequence sure didn't avoid a spoiler for people not aware of what happens in the manga. Even did a zoom in! I'm happy that wasn't how I found out.

I'm glad spoiler[Miyuki was made captain. Really, there weren't many better choices. (Shirasu? Ha!) Despite some personality flaws, we've seen him lead two pitchers with little experience and opposite personalities into capable players. Simultaneously, I'm glad Miyuki isn't perfectly fitting the role. He's not great at leading groups of individuals. More importantly, he is quick to brush off Nori's issues; he isn't used to directly aiding players who don't swing back from losses.]

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Personally I found the coach's response disappointing and maybe it shows he isn't the best coach.

An important lesson for players is to get over set backs and the coach needs to be able to do the same thing.

Also he seems obsessed with the 3rd years. Maybe those kids meant a lot to him and I understand but don't forget the kids that are left behind. And I realize he plans to stay on for a bit longer but I think the team needs their coach more than ever.

I see what you mean. If it's like other series, he'll be convinced to stay by his current team. He does seem overly attached to those third years, though. Granted, he watched them grow monumentally over their high school years and put a great amount of time and effort into them. In earlier episodes, some critical/pondering remarks are made about his style of coaching. It might just be an easily-resolved issue meant to show his vulnerabilities under the stern face.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
Well, that ending sequence sure didn't avoid a spoiler for people not aware of what happens in the manga. Even did a zoom in! I'm happy that wasn't how I found out.

I didn't notice, but now I guess I'll skip over the ED until they change it or it's over, because now I'll be looking for it otherwise. :/

I think coach thinks he's doing the honorable thing or somesuch nonsense spoiler[(It's like some metaphorical seppuku - what, is he going to go coach grade school, or become a phys ed teacher? If he feels he failed them as a coach, quitting isn't going to improve his coaching), but it doesn't seem like he's factoring in how the team is going to view it.]
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I didn't notice, but now I guess I'll skip over the ED until they change it or it's over, because now I'll be looking for it otherwise. :/

It's not super huge, but it's a reveal. I imagine we'll see it come to fruition in a little bit. If I remember, I'll post here when it's over.

Gina Szanboti wrote:

I think coach thinks he's doing the honorable thing or somesuch nonsense spoiler[(It's like some metaphorical seppuku - what, is he going to go coach grade school, or become a phys ed teacher? If he feels he failed them as a coach, quitting isn't going to improve his coaching), but it doesn't seem like he's factoring in how the team is going to view it.]

The whole situation feels super shonen-y. Coaches should be able to deal with teams losing, especially when you're facing a team as great as Inashiro. In retrospect, that game really illustrated Seido's weaknesses, particularly with the pitching ace. Tanba was well-liked and had talent, but he wasn't consistent and was prone to self-doubt that hampered his throws. He wasn't a bad player, but the difference in skill level (compared to Mei) is obvious. Then they have two first years with little experience and...Kawakami.

I kind of wish it hadn't happened for the sole fact that it will take away time from the player's issues. There are ways to develop his character without the spoiler[resignation] drama. Maybe the third years will talk to him... Or maybe they'll reveal more so it feels less forced.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Ah the spoiler in the ending. I was already spoiled about it thanks to browsing manga forums about the series but I was shocked they put such a huge spoiler there.

So yeah everyone skip the ending song for a bit.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
too late. Although, I kinda figured that would happen
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
never watch any op or ed if you are worry about spoiler in anime. This is nothing new, and it won't change any time soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 23