• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ace of Diamond (TV) (All Seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:24 am Reply with quote
I'm rather enjoying this series. It's not quite up to Oofuri's level, but the series has its own charm that keeps me interested. Of course it helps that I like baseball and sports in general.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Takigawa reminds me a lot of Keene from Major.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
the main character is annoying and selfish. The catcher should be the main character. Otherwise this anime is good.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
the main character is annoying and selfish. The catcher should be the main character. Otherwise this anime is good.

The weird thing is, if you go by his history, he's not supposed to be annoying and selfish. In middle school he was supposed to bull-headed but also selfless, inspiring, and accommodating to a team that couldn't match his skill and ended up loving and practically worshipping him for his patience, loyalty, and understanding.

I think you can thank the simple-minded shonen story-telling, over-the-top acting, and nuance-free direction for the contradiction. Personally, I can barely stand the screaming little brat.

But we are following a formula here. Everyone has to introduced as an adversary before they can learn to appreciate each other, be friends and we can finally start to see the reason his previous school-friends hold him in such high regard.

...I think he'll always be an obnoxious screaming idiot though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
You know what? I felt really bad for the screaming moron during this episode. Everyone gets all mad at him for not respecting this Chris guy but the whole situation really brought to a head the big problem.

They tell him NOTHING and then get angry at him for being ignorant. They finally assign a guy to train him (what a revolutionary idea!- I wonder if anyone else has ever considered training players before?) and the guy doesn't explain anything about the training he wants him to do. NOTHING! HE even gets a drill exercise he's never done before and they leave him to figure it out on his own. I really do think the coaching staff should be doing some supplication bows and begging for forgiveness for being horrible at their supposed jobs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
That was a pretty intense ending.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the coaching staff doesn't seem to do anything but decide who gets to play. Beyond that, all the players seem to be pretty much left to sink or swim on their own. It's very frustrating.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Yeah, the coaching staff doesn't seem to do anything but decide who gets to play. Beyond that, all the players seem to be pretty much left to sink or swim on their own. It's very frustrating.

the coaching staffs' main focus are the first string and the upcoming games. The second and third string players always never get many attention form coaches even in college sports.

That guy can't even field the ball and don't know where to go for defense. he is still not useable in a real game situation.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
But this isn't college. Of course he can't be used in real games, and no one is teaching him so that he ever can be. That's the problem. It's like handing students their textbooks and saying, "Here figure this out, we're too busy with the smart kids to spend any time with you. If you can ever ace the tests, then we'll talk." Except no one has even given him the textbook.

And we haven't even seen the coaching staff working with the first string, other than to decide who plays. They just stand around and observe while the kids compete amongst themselves for position.

Basically, I'm not seeing any coaching.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:

Well, that is how the coaches in my high school acted. Of course our teams weren't expected to win any games and usually didn't.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But this isn't college. Of course he can't be used in real games, and no one is teaching him so that he ever can be. That's the problem. It's like handing students their textbooks and saying, "Here figure this out, we're too busy with the smart kids to spend any time with you. If you can ever ace the tests, then we'll talk." Except no one has even given him the textbook.

And we haven't even seen the coaching staff working with the first string, other than to decide who plays. They just stand around and observe while the kids compete amongst themselves for position.

then we are not watching the same anime. There are people teaching him what he needs to do and what he did wrong. I'm not talking about Chris. There are nameless players and the female scout there to help him.

The coach is doing his job. I played high school baseball. Baseball coaches are not a coaches, they are managers. A manager is not going to go have one on one training with anybody. Other senior players and assistants(if any) are suppose to help beginners.

The manager need to tell the entire team on what do they need to do to win and which players to use in the game.

No matter what sports, you don't have much to teach to people.

Once people show you the correct way of doing thing, you mostly is just practice, practice, and more practice. You focus on practice, coach focus on strategy.

"For years, sport science and motor control research has added support to the fundamental assertions that "practice makes perfect" and "repetition is the mother of habit". Shooting 100 free throws, kicking 100 balls on goal or fielding"

http://www.science20.com/sports_are_80_percent_mental/does_practice_make_perfect_sports
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Once people show you the correct way of doing thing, you mostly is just practice, practice, and more practice.

But not one person has shown him the correct way of doing things. They observe that he's doing it weird, but no one corrects his form.

The only thing he's been practicing is dragging tires around. I think he's got that down. Practicing 100 times doing something the wrong way is worse than not practicing at all.

Even with their prodigy first year pitcher, the catcher sees he has weak control and instead of helping him to get better control, he muses that being so unintentionally erratic is working and lets it go on.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
I've been recently catching up to this show (currently on ep. 6) and I share Gina's concerns. I find it incredibly stupid to go all the way out to give this guy a sports scholarship and then never even make the minimal attempt to help him improve. For the sake of argument let's ignore he's the MC which will eventually catapult him to the main team by sports anime law. The manager would essentially be wasting school's money on some random kid who may or may not be particularly talented, but is having zero opportunity to hone that talent since no one is helping him to even figure out what it is.

Quote:
No matter what sports, you don't have much to teach to people.

That's no excuse to leave over a hundred teenagers to their own devices and then expect them to turn out the best results (and punish them when they don't). For instance, in KuroBas, the teams are always being guided by their coaches and getting especific training menus to practice certain skills (endurance, accuracy, etc.); in YowaPeda, the coach (whom Naruko and Izumi briefly meet in-between the race) tells them both what's wrong with their postures and pedalling after observing them and picking up on their flaws. Heck, even in Free, Sasabe-coach watches them and tells them what they have to correct (form, breathing, strokes, timings, etc.). From what I've seen in this series, they not one but three people watching over the team and nobody is telling these kids how to get better.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
You are comparing apples to oranges. The manager of a baseball team is nothing like a coach of a basketball team. There are about 20 players in the first team and like what 40 other players in 2nd/3rd team. There is no way the manager can be a babysitter for every player. In basketball the coach only has like 10-15 players, so teaching individual players is much easier.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:20 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
Once people show you the correct way of doing thing, you mostly is just practice, practice, and more practice.

But not one person has shown him the correct way of doing things. They observe that he's doing it weird, but no one corrects his form.

The only thing he's been practicing is dragging tires around. I think he's got that down. Practicing 100 times doing something the wrong way is worse than not practicing at all.

Even with their prodigy first year pitcher, the catcher sees he has weak control and instead of helping him to get better control, he muses that being so unintentionally erratic is working and lets it go on.
[quote]
^^^^
This!

We did have a coach appear in this episode... he was the insightful guy that kept yelling at him for not covering the right spot.

And the guy has apparently never seen a Medicine Ball in his life and is just left to figure out an exercise all by himself... I'm surprised his roommate even summoned up enough helpfulness to tell him what an "MB" was in the first place.

I'm really hoping he makes actual friends with the red-head sooner rather than later. The show desperately needs some team-mate to be on his side in some real way. Not a mentor, not a rival, just a friendly person (other than ditzy girl manager).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 23