• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ace of Diamond (TV) (All Seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 109

So all he got for that was a stern talking to? He should've been tossed from the game for malicious contact since Miyuki already had the ball and was set up when he came charging in. Major leagues, par for the course, but high school, that was way out of line.

Loved the "you're toast" look that Miyuki gave him though. Smile I hope he gets his revenge since the jerk already hit him with a pitch and now this.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
And looks like we've hit the point where Miyuki spoiler[gets an injury]. At least they brought up that Ogawa probably should've been ejected. I guess they managed to argue the case that he couldn't stop in time or something? Interesting that he has a violent outburst just like the old coach.

But wow, Miyuki's glare.

And poor Kawakami! Furuya and Sawamura are both becoming great pitchers, Miyuki's happy to see (and help) them grow, and Kawakami is still stuck on the sidelines. Honestly, I'm really wondering what the point of his character is. He barely gets to play and when he does we either don't see it or he fails. This wouldn't be a big deal if he were a minor character, but we spend quite a bit of time with him. It's all sort of sad.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I was so sure he was ejected that I thought those next three outs were him remembering his glory moments or something. I was shocked when it turned out to be real. Wtf?

I think even at a high school level, here coaches would've been flying out of the dugout when he wasn't ejected. Or parents, if the coaches stayed put.

Well, Miyuki was kinda waving death flags with the "I'm so blessed" thoughts. Smile I could see the train coming long before the whistle blew.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
When the crowd started bringing up that he was going to be ejected, I thought that was it. It would've mirrored the suspended coach, too; giving in to violence in the heat of the moment. I mean, Ogawa really wanted to hurt Miyuki. There wasn't a moment where he looked guilty. I wish they would've shown how the team wriggled out of it. Maybe Seido decided not to push for ejection because the game was nearly over and Miyuki isn't the type to argue for it, at least because it happened to him? He sort of just deals with things. Plus his parent(s), from the little we saw via flashback, don't seem particularly involved in his life.

From reading a spoiler awhile back, I knew it would happen eventually. I thought it might've happened when Miyuki got hit by that one pitch, but I guess they had to go further. That's what he gets for being sentimental~ Speaking of which, Miyuki and Furuya have both been hit this game--Sawamura better be careful. Or maybe Kawakami will finally go in and get hurt, because that's who he is.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
They shouldn't have to push, it was a clear violation of the rules of the game and it was all on the stupid umpire. There was no wriggling out of it to show, since the ump just talked to him for five seconds and then let him go without so much as requiring him to at least apologize to Miyuki for his behavior. I would have thought in Japan that would practically be mandatory. Smile

It certainly heightens the drama, but I wish they'd done it in a more organic way. I'm just glad he didn't come in cleats first.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh, definitely. I'm just thinking they made a conscious decision not to after the ump let it slide. Though no one even seemed that surprised that Ogawa wasn't scrapped--except the audience that is. You'd think Sawamura at least would be grumbling about it.

It would've been easily made organic, too. Best way would be to eject Ogawa and that be it. He screws his team over, disrespects Seido, and Miyuki is left with a serious injury. But they could have also just showed some arguing with the ump and Seido disgruntled that he sided with Ogawa. Perhaps it worked better in the manga, where you can assume how long things take? In the anime, the ump was there for a few seconds. In the manga, it'd be a still frame that could take any length of time.

Maybe Ogawa will give him a half-assed apology at the end of the game. Thinking it over, he's a really odd character. Not in a bad way. Everything we know about him--worshiping Anpanman, prone to violence, ongoing issues with the upperclassmen, not respecting opposing players who don't share his spark, wanting to mimic Furuya's hair style, etc.--just adds up to a weird combination. Awkward teenage years.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
Holy shit, what a way to conclude this week's episode. Got everything I had wanted to see. Furuya's interpersonal thoughts about the game and himself also seems to heightened too at the climax moment.

Also, grats to Seido High to advancing! I think they earned it. Perhaps they could avenge their previous loss before in the future but it definitely won't be easy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 110

Well, at least he got his revenge in the best way he could. I really thought Ogawa was going to hbp him again.

I just hope continuing to play doesn't cost him too dearly, because he really needed to get that payback. I guess we'll find out next week how bad it really was. I'm guessing cracked ribs. :/

Really nice to get to see Kawakami get to shine at last.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
That ending was intense. The scene of Miyuki swinging looked particularly clean. I love when the animation picks up during dramatic moments.

I was so worried Kawakami was gonna fail. Glad he actually did well!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:12 am Reply with quote
^So well he even got a fist pump out of Furuya! Very Happy

I know this isn't Koshien, but I feel bad that they can't even fill half the stadium for the semis.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:51 am Reply with quote
That was the single most badass moment of the anime thusfar.

Miyuki's right arm is pretty much he hanging from his shoulder by a thread, and spoiler[he steps up to the plate with nobody on and hits a walk-off home run to win the game. He wasn't even sure he could swing his bat.]

That's a captain for you. This is defintely his team now.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
Just watched the first couple of episodes again. I'd forgotten how sad it was when he left his teammates. I'd also forgotten that his grandfather has a kinda mohawk and his father has a pompadour. :D
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 111

Looks like we get to wait a couple more episodes to find out what's up with Miyuki. But that face when Furuya asked if he was coming with him to the hospital. O.O What big eyes you have, Miyuki.

Don't care for the new pitcher. Yakushi better win this.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 111

So Furuya suspects Miyuki is injured, though I guess isn't exactly in a place to push it. As for Miyuki, he's gonna try to tough it out. Really, if you did remove him from the team, they would never win in finals.

I'd like to think that, after the initial appreciation that his grandfather was watching his games, Furuya became deeply mortified at the the thought of him silently watching him screw up again and again.

Looks like the next few eps will be a connective tissue game. Gives Seido a break, though I tend to be less enthusiastic.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
who is that third guy with Tetsu and Tanba, the one Zono assured that he would do something next game?

Also, I've finally gotten annoyed of Raichi's laugh
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 23