• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ace of Diamond (TV) (All Seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:52 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
You are comparing apples to oranges. The manager of a baseball team is nothing like a coach of a basketball team. There are about 20 players in the first team and like what 40 other players in 2nd/3rd team. There is no way the manager can be a babysitter for every player. In basketball the coach only has like 10-15 players, so teaching individual players is much easier.

No to stretch the analogy, but KuroBas has shown Teikou's basketball club, a powerhouse in the sport nationwide. In later stages of the manga it's shown the club is huge, to the point of having not only first and second but also a third string team. There is a main coach for the first string team, but the second and thirds also receive specific training menus (spoiler[when Kuroko moves up to first string he mentions how he could hardly keep up with the third's training regime, and how the first's is killing him]) and even get the chance of playing games (as seen in the OVA, when Kise and Kuroko assist the second string in a practice match against another school).

OTOH, DnoA has three people focusing only on the first string players, whilst everyone else is just left to fend for themselves and hope against all hopes that they manage to climb their way up, if ever (and then hope they don't make the minimum mistake, lest they be thrown all the way back to the bottom). I'm going to quote Spastic Minnow from the YowaPeda thread, because he makes a very neat rendering of what's the problem with DnoA

Quote:
Diamond is needlessly antagonistic with unsupportive coaches with just about every teammate being unhelpful, selfish, jerks who look down on the hero. Pedal meanwhile is all about making friends, finding joy in your sport, and giving just about as much aid as possible....

...remind me again, which is the one about the team sport and which can only have one winner?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:10 am Reply with quote
I dunno, if somewhere down the line Sawamura ever does get to pitch, he'll probably get chewed out for not following the coach's and catcher's signs that he was supposed to have divined by telepathy. :/

I'm thinking the people who said their coach acted like this didn't play on teams of 100 or more students, many of whom were there on scholarships and living in team dorms. If this school has only budgeted for one coach and 2 assistants, something is wrong. There should be batting coaches, pitching coaches, fielding coaches who are the ones who DO have time to offer guidance and organize the training. The head coach may be the organizational guy, but he seems to have insufficient support staff.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
part of me thinks that he does have the support staff, but they aren't important right now, so we don't see them.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
They wouldn't need any dialog, just show the occasional adult in the background looking like they're giving someone some pointers.

But they can't do that, because then it would look like they were singling Sawamura out and deliberately keeping only him ignorant. But they have no reason to be doing that and apparently the plot needs him to be ignorant for awhile longer, so I guess they decided it was better to make it look like a stupid arrangement than a spiteful one.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
with some actual pitching guidance going one, this has gotten better. Yuu's voice cracking was hilarious
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
So how come the Japanese all call him Chris while his American father calls him Yuu? Seems backwards.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I guess he wants everyone to address him by his middle name
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I see people comparing this to Yowamushi no Pedal and I understand that because they are the two sports series of the season but I disagree that because Diamond no Ace isn't like Yowamushi no Pedal it isn't as good. They are different but both equally good in my opinion.

Yes Yowamushi has the friendship thing because well a big part of that series is Onoda had no friends until he found cycling so I think that aspect is a big part of the series charm along with its quirky humor.

However while Diamond no Ace isn't about a lonely kid making friends I do think Sawamura has formed interesting relationships with several characters on his team: namely Chris, Miyuki, Furuya, and Haruichi. Yes there are rivalries going on because everyone wants to get into first string but rivalries doesn't have to equal animosity and hatred. And in sports series I think the rival relationship is one of the best.

And I think Sawamura and Chris have grown to respect and care about each other. And because the coach paired Sawamura up with Chris I also have to disagree that they are just leaving him on his own. Okay maybe it would be more realistic for a big school to have more coaches, but it is obvious that Chris is a strong player that everyone respects. Sawamura wasn't given a left over catcher but one of the best. I think if anything that shows that the coach does care about Sawamura's development.

Although I feel Diamond no Ace isn't really the opposite of Yowamushi no Pedal but Big Windup (another series I highly enjoyed). However I like when I can enjoy sports series that don't all follow the same formula.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
this current game is really fun and Sawamura definitely makes things interesting. I love everyone's various reactions to what goes on. Tachi's grin was fantastic
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Tachi is the name of the opposing pitcher? Only problem with that "kid" is that he looks to be about 35 years old.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
yeah, that's a little strange
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I think that older appearance is supposed to show how much more mature he is as a player.

It is also possible that three years of training for a national level team has that effect. Note that the third year pitcher on their team looks a lot more than two years older.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but he doesn't look like he should have graduated with the Coach.
asckj1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
The second ED is too annoying >.<
Other than that love the anime. Especially the loud mouthed Sawamura Very Happy
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote
caught me off guard the first time it payed, but now I like it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 23