• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Wii U Cannot Play Standard DVD, Blu-ray Discs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darcerin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Can't take the Wii to bed with me and watch a DVD on it before I fall asleep, but I can with my portable dvd player. Very Happy

Quite honestly? I unpacked my Wii and have only used it for streaming Netflix - I've played on it exactly once, and that was Wii bowling, which I love, but just haven't had time to get back to. *shrug* (which is silly, because if I have time for Netflix...!)
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
in other news water is wet. Nintendo has never allowed DVD playing, though the do allow Netflix (which is probably enough for a LOT of people)
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why some people are so upset over the Wii U not being able to play DVD and Blu-Ray. It's not like Nintendo every hinted at or showed any interest in doing that, and they already have the ability to stream from the internet and Netflix. The other councils already have that feature and most people already have a means of playing DVD and Blu-Ray. Why should it be an all-in-one when it's focus has always been video games? Next thing I'll be hearing is you guys were expecting new video game councils to make you coffee.

I'd be playing the Wii U for games, and that's really all I want from it. If I want to watch DVDs I have my PS2 or computer, but I rarely watch or Purchase DVDs anyway. I'm glad Nintendo didn't bloat the price for this by giving it such an unnecessary extra.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised. Nintendo opted to keep costs down on the Wii by leaving things out like HD support. I can see some of the logic here since DVD players are cheap enough that people have one or one in their computer. And Blu-ray is now at a point where people can afford it. Nintendo showed with the Wii that it wasn't looking to use hardware as a big selling point, and the Wii U seems to be going the same route.

Of course, from what I've seen after E3 I wonder how Nintendo's efforts to recapture the hardcore market will pan out. The Wii sold lots of consoles, but game sales were dismal compared to Sony and Microsoft, and the Wii U sounds like it's basically where the PS3 and 360 are in terms of graphics, so it'll look dated once Sony and Microsoft launch their next consoles.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
This is no excuse.

I can't believe people are still hung up on console specs. It's like watching them brag about 0-60mph times while completely ignoring the posted 30mph speed limit sign.

Most games don't even come close to a console's potential, and for good reason. Not only will this drive up heat (which reduces life spans of chips), but it's unnecessary when most people aren't looking for games to push the limit.

As a long time gamer, I've never heard people state "Dude, did you check out Halo 3? That game taxed my CPU at 99% and flopped the GPU because the graphics are the bomb, yo! Oh, and the RAM was exceptionally used so that the load times were kept to a bare minimum. I should also point out the wired controller worked like clockwork with the console's 133MHz bus. Bitchin'!"

But hey, any port in a storm.

As for the news, I'm thankful Nintendo isn't going to put a BD player into the console, given this is the worst disk technology to ever be sold to consumers.

Personally, none of these consoles should include disk media players.

Talk about outdated technology.

I hope that your trolling, if not then oh well.. The reason the ps2 had dvd play back was due in part that it was the cheapest way to sell a dvd player back in 2000 in Japan. They were still using laser disc and felt like it was time to move on, there fore the reason for the media change, here Dvd's are hell of an advantage over beta/vhs that I grew up with and blu-ray is bad.. really? I hope that most of your digital downloads are legal ones, if not they are noting more than re-encoded blu-ray or dvd-rips.

Moving on I can care less, nintendo disappointed with me the Wii and this is no exception. I am not expecting a damn thing out of this system expect for a controller that is the size of an I Pad. It's decent games that make a system not some shitty gimmick that other publishers have no idea how to program or use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Really? I was wondering if there was some rumor awhile back that stated that they were going to go that route. Of course their games are going to have an even higher definition. Oh well. It's no surprise.
jhuhn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
There will always be pros and cons to acquring the Wii U. I am hoping it can transfer data from the Wii to the WiiU, including save data.
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Can I ask a question. Was anyone one really surprised that this... I mean really?

Nintendo licensing a Sony technology (namely Blu-ray)? You honestly think that Nintendo would go the route of handing money to a competitor and it's Blu-Ray Association for the sole sake of being a all-in-one device?? I expect that when the sky is pink (which it isn't). There wasn't a remote chance of that happening the seconded that they started taking about this "high-density optical discs" (which if you ask me, based on all the rumour details of it... it sounds a lot like HD-DVD)

And we all know the story with the Wii, the promised functionality that it never delivered. DVD movie playback. I think that given a few things (most likely thing being the patents all over the tech), asking for DVD playback on the WiiU is wishful dreaming. Would I like it, sure... but given what Nintendo focuses on, it was unlikely.

Given that, it's still all about the games... and I have yet to hear something that really stands out yet outside of this. They still have a year...
Anyways, if you want to consume movies... Netflix, Hulu and the like seem to want to be on every device, I doubt that the WiiU will be the exception.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Disc based media is dead in the long run anyway, the Wii U will allow you to download all the movies you might want. Downloadable media is the future.
Not with data caps. 250 GB/month for all you Comcast guys will be depleted in the blink of an eye. I wonder if most internet connections can even truly stream in full blu-ray quality?

Regardless, it doesn't seem like Nintendo is in touch with the future:
The Article wrote:
Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.
USB 2.0 ports?! That technology is truly ancient, and IIRC the Xbox 360 has even reached its limits with the limited bandwidth provided. PCs have long maxed out the once awesome potential of 2.0. Nintendo could help us get USB 3 off the ground, but nope, they're going to keep on with legacy technology.

Yet they disabled GameCube compatibility?! They're not in touch with the future, and they're disowning their past. What are they doing? While it pains me to say this, PS Vita is my hands-down choice.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:25 am Reply with quote
It's not really a game-changer Wink , but it is too bad the Wii U won't have these other features, If it's like its predecessor Wii/Gamecube, and I only ever really use it to play Smash for lack of other great games, at least it could be used for something on a regular basis. Laughing

But really, not so interested in the console as the games that'll be on it. It's been awhile since we've had a SNES/N64/Dreamcast/PS renaissance, just lots of shovelware and sequels. Get your heads in the game guys! Wink
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Not with data caps. 250 GB/month for all you Comcast guys will be depleted in the blink of an eye. I wonder if most internet connections can even truly stream in full blu-ray quality?

Seriously. I moved into an apartment with roomates who already subscribed to comcast. I'm only glad I have to put up with comcast for one other month because next apartment I'll be insisting on fios. I download an average of 40 gb or so a month, and I live in an apartment with 5 other college students who are far from computer illiterate. One plays FPS games all night and two other I'm fairly certain download much like my habit, and 4 of us use netflix instant streaming (HD most of the time). I don't even know if regular cable or on demand works into our bandwidth stream for the month, but towards the end of the month more often than I like our bandwidth is crawling.

We all also still enjoy buying dvds and tv series boxsets. Needless to say we use videogame consoles for viewing those, and none of those - including the netflix streaming, involve the wii. Our wii is dusty and probably hasn't been touched in over a year.

Will I be buying a wii U? No plans at all. I don't need a fancy screen on my controller, and I very much dislike the idea of exactly how much said controller with a monitor will cost. I will however be looking to buy myself a machine capable of blu-ray because the ps3 in the house is not mine.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:23 am Reply with quote
I think this issue will be much ado about nothing.
But there are a few things I gotta say:

JohnnySake wrote:

The guy's got a point though. You can't tell me the consumer who would buy this does not already have some sort of device that would play a dvd. I see this proprietary format more of something to head off piracy.

Not when it allows attaching an external hard drive. Ya don't need pirated discs when ya can have a hard drive full of pirated games. If you're gonna pirate anyway, that's the easiest way. Laughing

crazychild wrote:
Do most people already have a DVD player? Almost certainly. Do most people already have a Blu-ray player? Eh, probably not most. Do most people have room for all of those things, plus other game consoles, plus a new console, and ports to plug them all in?

I don't think those issues will deter large numbers of people from buying it, but it would be in Nintendo's favor to get people using their system as much as possible, and being able to take over the function of another device might help.

That's what I was thinking too. The more people use the Wii-U for whatever reason, the more value they get out of it. Especially if it gets to a decision moment about getting rid (putting them away or selling them?) of devices that are hardly being used.

I can understand with Blu-ray since BR drives still cost around $100. But ya can buy Samsung DVD drives for less than $20. That's not much more than whatever proprietary disc drive (what, $10-15?) they'd put in the Wii-U. They gonna have to put some sort of disc drive in there anyways, so why not a $20 DVD drive? So a DVD drive is not really gonna increase the price of the Wii-U, especially when ya gonna end up paying hundreds of $$ for it anyways.

Plus, it would increase the perceived value of the Wii-U. Customers may or may not use the DVD aspect, but knowing that it's there and the possibility that they may use it, increases the perceived value and may help justify paying the price for the Wii-U.

GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Media: Stardard Blu Ray 50GBs.

So......... if it reads standard Blu-ray media, it's a BR drive then? Only that it won't play Blu-Ray movies? To avoid the royalties? But why not at least play DVD movies? Same royalties? Those royalties can't be that much when there are DVD players sold for $20. Confused

Echo_City wrote:

Regardless, it doesn't seem like Nintendo is in touch with the future:
The Article wrote:
Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.
USB 2.0 ports?! That technology is truly ancient,

Granted, whatever wired peripheral the Wii-U uses probably wouldn't need USB 3.0 speed anyways, except maybe for the flash/hard drive. Most people prefer wireless peripherals anyways, so USB wouldn't matter.
Strawberryelle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Of course, from what I've seen after E3 I wonder how Nintendo's efforts to recapture the hardcore market will pan out. The Wii sold lots of consoles, but game sales were dismal compared to Sony and Microsoft, and the Wii U sounds like it's basically where the PS3 and 360 are in terms of graphics, so it'll look dated once Sony and Microsoft launch their next consoles.

Based on the past rate of new console releases (every 4-6 years) and Sony's statements for the ps4 release (not for another 4 or so years) Nintendo's probably going to release another new console during roughly the same time period as Sony anyways so they won't be outdated for long.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote
250 GB cap of bandwidth a month? And that's not enough?

I get 500 MB a day (I don't get monthly usage, only daily). I WISH I could get 250 GB a month.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
This wasn't expected?

Sure it would have been neat, but it's a video game console, and Nintendo has already shown they're not going for this by making both the GCN and the Wii without DVD capabilities. (I know the GCN used smaller discs, but you know what I mean).

It does make me think, though. Wouldn't it have been more beneficial to give that ability? Since they still want to keep their casual fanbase, adding a DVD/Blu-Ray function would make it an even better purchase for a family. Imagine they don't have a video game console or a DVD/Blu-Ray player - they could have gotten all in one. However, it could have made the console too expensive as well, and Nintendo wants to remain with a cheaper console.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4