• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Note: Way beyond good (spoilers!!)

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:28 am Reply with quote
I bought the entire Death Note series on Friday, even though I've seen some of it, I decided to go back and read the entire series so I'd know I wouldn't miss anything. I read the first four volumes Friday night, and then starting Saturday I read and finished the entire series on Sunday morning 3 am. What did I think of it? I was blown Very Happy

spoiler[It was good to be able to see Light pick up the Death Note and then have him and Ryuk meet again, then the fight between him and L starts. And as we know, this turns into a game that is brought right down to the core between two masterminds out thinking and outsmarting the other. When it seemed Light was in a big jam when Misa got caught, and he had to take a gamble on losing his memory and then hoping to recover it.

And then things turn out the way Light planned it, he recovers the Death Note and his memory, and then plays Misa and Rem (though Misa couldn't get it) right into his hands. Course, I should say more like he caught Rem, because Rem would have to kill L to get the police off Misa because not only did she start using the Deathnote again, but she was stupid enough to trade for the Reaper eyes to shorten her life four times than it already was. In the end, Rem kills L and Watari, and Light vows to avenge L and therefore assumes the identity of L.

I'm going to shorten things up to get to what I want to say about it. Five years pass, and Light now has to take on Near, L's protoge and successor. In the end, Near figures out not only is Light the fake L, but also Kira, therefore Light is once again thrown into the braingame. The winner catches the other, and the loser dies.

Near catches Light and the men that were supporting Light to arrest him, when Light having found out Near's true name tries to kill Near by writing his name on a little piece of paper from the Deathnote that Light took. That's when his men shoot him, and Light asks Ryuk for help. But Ryuk, seeing that Light is dying, writes Light's name in the book, because Ryuk told Light so many years ago that he would be the one to write his name down and kill him. Light dies, and the war is ended.]

All in all, what did I think? This was truly a great mystery/detective/suspense manga, and Light is probably one of the best antagonists you could ever hope for. spoiler[The ultimate setback for Light, I felt, was when he assumed the identity of L. Because Near caught onto it very fast, he was able to put the pieces together and catch the bad guy. Being drawn into this though, I found myself rooting for Light, thinking he might be able to beat Near when things were looking like a tight spot for him. However, when he questioned them taking away the world he created, and Near's answer to that, I had to agree with Near and company. ]Does anyone really have the right to take another person's life? I'll leave that one unanswered. And who is the true justice? Everybody has their own views of right and wrong, it's just how it's set, and how it's going to affect others.

Masterpiece rating. A truly wonderful manga to read, and I hope the anime does just as well. One thing about the anime is preference for their music would be to include RHCP's "Dani California", but I don't think that'll go through.

Tony, I hope this one was better than my last one.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:27 am Reply with quote
Death Note is a modern manga classic. However, it "jumped the shark" when spoiler[L died]. The whole "second arc" event felt like stretched filler to me, and I was actually bored with it.

The only redeeming chapter in that entire "second arc" was the spoiler[second to last one, where Ryuk killed Light]. Long awaited, highly anticipated, and well recieved.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Death Note is a modern manga classic. However, it "jumped the shark" when spoiler[L died]. The whole "second arc" event felt like stretched filler to me, and I was actually bored with it.

I have to disagree. In my opinion, it jumped a bit earlier than that, specifically when spoiler[Light first surrendered possession of the Death Note]. Sure, it was a clever move on Light's part, but the most interest aspect of the series was the cat-and-mouse between L and Light trying to figure out how much the other knew, and how much the other knew he knew, and so on.

While it was interesting to see how the Death Note corrupted Light, after he killed Lind L. Taylor there wasn't really any farther for him to fall, morally speaking. spoiler[Although the incidents leading to his father's death was perhaps the most interesting scenario that occurred after L's death].
I didn't really like how in the "second arc" spoiler[most of the characters, even some of the intelligent ones, became little more than puppets for Light. And then the final series of plot twists were so abrupt, there seemed to be no real clues as to how the story would end.]
pockykitten*

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
i loved the death note series and i thought the ending was one of the best endings in a manga series in a long time. just thinking about the the scene spoiler[where light is finally cornered and freaking out screaming before he dies ]gives me chills.

from the very beginning you know light has to be stopped but you keep rooting for him hopping he wont get caught. after it all in the end the maddness much come to an end.

still i think about how light was just some bored over achieving student and he ends up so close to rulling the world. comparing him to L , near and melo who were trained giffted detectives, light comes to par. in that sense i say light is the better man.

plus he's the sexxiest thing ever[/spoiler]
bennyb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:57 am Reply with quote
I do have to agree the series was at it's peak earlier in the first arc, altho I don't think anyone could have predicted how it ended.

*wishes he didn't know how DN ended so buying volumes could be a little more exciting*
sykosteve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
It became less exciting for me when the killing went corporate later on in the first arc. Having an ignorant Light was no fun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
sykosteve wrote:
Having an ignorant Light was no fun.

Ignorant? Are you talking about spoiler[when he lost his memory]?
sykosteve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:15 pm Reply with quote
yes. I've yet to tweak with the spoiler tags, so i made it as little spoilerific as i could while still getting my point across.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:50 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

The only redeeming chapter in that entire "second arc" was the spoiler[second to last one, where Ryuk killed Light]. Long awaited, highly anticipated, and well recieved.

There might be a reason for the long storyline:

The Death Note entry at Wikipedia wrote:
spoiler[* There are 108 chapters in the Death Note manga series. In Japan, at the end of the year, a bell is chimed 108 times to finish the old year and welcome the new one. Each ring represents one of 108 earthly temptations a person must overcome to achieve nirvana.]
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Death notes is very good. the story is better 90% of novel.
The first half is fun game, but the second half is cool, too.

i just don't like the ending. spoiler[I wanted Light to win. not to die]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

spoiler[And then with Kira's departure, there came this cult following with Misa at the front.]
RaiKazuto

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote
I only have manga volume 1. I read it. It's very good. I am going to get the 2nd and 3rd this weekend...

I find the series to be...thrilling...as if it...somewhat "jumps" at you. It feels real. It feels like real, true events of what would really happen if this was true.

My favorite current character is Light. I think L and Light are very...similar. From my perception, when Light gets this notebook, while thinking he's doing good with killing off criminals and making a "perfect world", he is actually turning into a monster.

I sat after I read it and thought...

"...If I had...this death note object, that would be amazing...and terrifying...at the same time, but yet...saitisfying"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sykosteve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:43 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

spoiler[And then with Kira's departure, there came this cult following with Misa at the front.]

Was that really spoiler[Misa] on the last page? It didn't look like it at all to me? Maybe that's why the last page confused me so much?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote
sykosteve wrote:
Was that really spoiler[Misa] on the last page? It didn't look like it at all to me? Maybe that's why the last page confused me so much?

It's difficult to say 100%, but I am convinced that it is. There's a thing for me that catches it. spoiler[Even without the note and her memories of Light, Misa is still devoted to Kira, because he avenged her parents, plus she said she would do anything for Kira. So when Kira died, she probably became one of the key people in the cult.]
Monumension

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote
I've been interested in the liveaction movie adaptation of this series and decided to try out the manga. I had to see if it deserved it's high rank in the Top 50 on this site.

Unfortunately I was swayed into spoiling this series' finale for myself by the constant (and heated) discussion about if the ending was great or horrible. Bleh!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12