• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Patlabor 2: The Movie DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:27 am Reply with quote
Man, this was a friggin' beautiful movie; visually, I think it's Oshii's most powerful work (that I've seen so far, which actually isn't a lot), I'm not saying the raw production values, but more of the, you know, the themes and composition and whatever (how the visuals "speak" to you).

Even though I'm a really big Madhouse fan, I have to concede that the third movie just doesn't stack up to what was here.

It's hawt.

THOUGH, I am wondering why 3D stuff became such an integral part of Innocence after seeing Oshii's comments about the whole CG thing here *I think he was all: "it should be used in the context of it being 3D" which wasn't necessarily the case with Innocence*.

Though I'm not totally sure if I like this movie over Innocence yet, but the storytelling and ideas are very unified and have a sense of purpose and definite direction to it (much like Innocence); I think I like them about the same, but, overall, I still really liked the emotional resonance in Innocence's ending.

But the last scenes of this movie were pretty powerful as well... anyway, I can't decide, so I'll just say what I said earlier: I like them the same.

OH, and I was really fascinated by the flow of politics here; it was neat. Also, the creation of the illusion of war had like several nifty sequences to it, one of my favorites being the

spoiler[Fake raid on Tokyo sequence... oh yeah, notice that what caught the pilot's attention was probably an eagle or something (which fooled the viewer into thinking that it was an enemy pilot... awesome)... gotta stay consistent with the themes (birds being one of them), totally.]

OH and Kenji Kamiyama borrowed something from here (if people have seen the new GITS:SAC 2nd GIG DVD, they'll know what I'm talking about).

Yeah... man... I loved this movie.

I did buy the LE, but to be honest... I haven't read through the damn booklets... they're long as hell (kinda lazy).

So, it's just to own, basically.

OH! And one last thing... for some reason, I don't watch the Patlabor movies dubbed (which is strange since I watch just about everything else dubbed... maybe it's because it didn't go to a mainstream studio? Yeah... I'm a picky douche now).

Last edited by DKL on Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:32 am Reply with quote
I've bought both Patlabor LEs and even though Bandai Visual USA/Hommenaise have put out only four releases (LE and RE of Patlabor movies) I have to say they're, so far, my favourite company, and I hope this level of quality and extravogance carries through to other releases (Hell, I'm all giddy about Gunbuster from them even though I've never seen it).
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:20 am Reply with quote
I also have the both Patlabor LE releases and did not pay MSRP. You can find both titles priced below MSRP, but pre-ordering was your best option.

Waiting for Gunbuster and Diebuster releases and hoping for the combined Gunbuster/Diebuster movie to be released by them also. Then there's Wings of Honneamise and Wings of Rean.....
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:18 am Reply with quote
Steve: Gunbuster is like Evangelion with a plot, characterization, and an ending.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:27 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Steve: Gunbuster is like Evangelion with a plot, characterization, and an ending.

EVANGELION NAMEDROP FROM GATSU
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:27 am Reply with quote
I'm still partial to the Manga Ent. Dub. The timing of the voices and the casting fit it well.

Now?

* Ohta doesn't sound like an overblown egomaniac.
* Shinshi's noteable outburts seemed muted for the Bandai dub.
* Gotoh doesn't seem to be a wise and secretive sage, more like a sly and calculated thinker.
* And Shinobu seems took meek rather than headstrong.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:53 am Reply with quote
Well. I guess that means that Manga Ent. took some "liberties" in their interpretation then. Now, we have the correct one (Bandai Visual) and the other one (Manga Ent.). Wink
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:26 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
I'm still partial to the Manga Ent. Dub. The timing of the voices and the casting fit it well.

I always loved the Manga dubs of these movies...Gotoh in this particular movie basically made the movie for me. I need to dig up my old VHS tapes, methinks....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sykosteve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I wish these LE releases weren't so pricey. I understand that for the content, it's a good price, but for my wallet it is not Anime hyper I'll get around to buying them eventually, because those cases look totally kickass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:26 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Well. I guess that means that Manga Ent. took some "liberties" in their interpretation then. Now, we have the correct one (Bandai Visual) and the other one (Manga Ent.). Wink

When hasn't an anime company taken 'liberties' with their properties? From minor to major.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
T'is true. However, Bandai Visual version is considered to be canon and Manga Ent. version is not imo. ( Sort of like what's going to happen with Hellsing Ultimate and Hellsing TV.)

I keep saying to you guys that you don't have to pay MSRP for this. Just look here and here for example.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1