• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Hot Gimmick

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Gyah, back when I'd buy everything and anything in my early collecting days and seemed to believe that once I'd started a manga I was obligated to keep buying it (what can I say, I wasn't the most brilliant high school freshman at that time and was new into fandom), Hot Gimmick was the series that made me go "screw this, I'm stopping collecting it", and this was coming from someone who enjoyed damn near anything at that age (oh the fun of the first few years of fandom where everything seems good!), and it's a shame because I overlooked Please Save My Earth and Here is Greenwood for this (mistakes that have since been corrected) and mistakenly thought that all shojo were garbage for years (until I watch Princess Tutu). This series halted my progression of fandom for quite a while and made me dismiss shojo unfairly for years (to be fair, it's not all Hot Gimmick's fault, Peach Girl certainly played its part too, except I actually finished that one, so it happened between those two series really, and I may give more blame to Peach Girl here). I got three volumes into Hot Gimmick, far further than I should have gotten.

Ironically enough, I got vol 1 of Hot Gimmick from Jason's manga giveaway a few years ago and was like "NOOOOOO! Why is this back in my house?!" Crying or Very sad And when I saw this column I was like "NOOO! Why is this being featured?!" Mad and before Banana Fish at that, if there must be rape in a manga, I'll take it in a far better series where it's not romanticized. Also, I just had to read Teacher's Pet by Hot Gimmick's author, I think I found a new low for manga, but it's also borderline "so bad it's good".

I usually respond to the manga columns for series I've read because I'm big on manga, but I wasn't sure how to respond to this other than with seething anger foaming at my mouth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3