• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime consumption and ‘worth’ as a fan.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:18 am Reply with quote
Since I do the "watch every first episode of the season" thing, I usually get up to 10 shows every season. I don't like to drop shows after the first couple of episodes so my completed list has also grown into hundreds. Since I also read a lot of books, watch a lot of movies and series, play a lot of games and (even) go out with friends from time to time and have a job, I inevitably fall behind most of those shows. The problem for me is to recognize when following an anime has become a chore. I like to update my mal from time to time, but I wouldn't say I take much pride in the list. I can't anyway next to those guys who've seen more than a thousand anime. Very Happy
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
I DO derive a measure of self-worth from how much anime I have watched. I am also proud of My Anime (go on, click on the link below and see why). I am quite comfortable admitting to both.

I also enjoy watching anime immensely.

Be envious of how many things bring me satisfaction.

I'm actually most impressed by all the screencaps you've added to your list! Do the review comments accept normal forum image tags? html? I had no idea you could do that!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Ghost_Wheel wrote:
rheiders wrote:
But now? Nah. And I can guarantee statistics isn't a draw for me because I'm an art major and math is gross xD. People who like math are weirdos Razz

Lol. I'm a mathematician, and I don't think art is gross or that people who like it are weirdos Razz. Kind of weird how these days one seems more socially acceptable to say than the other, but that's a whole other rant.

I really hope you didn't think I meant that seriously xD And considering the number of times people tell me on a daily basis that art means nothing, I'm majoring in art because I have no "real" skills, or that I'm wasting my life and my education, I really don't think there's a double standard here.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
...Do the review comments accept normal forum image tags? html? I had no idea you could do that!

html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
First and foremost, I watch anime to be entertained and inspired. However, virtually any medium can do both. Hell, there's a common trope of bookworms that just want to consume an entire library (perhaps they feel the same way with their respective medium?). Anyway, to be more specific, I watch anime because of entertainment/inspiration and because it has a specific charm/visual appeal that no other medium can replicate. We've all seen it and we all (presumably) like it.

As such, I care less about an anime if it can be replicated on another medium (live action film, for example). I don't care if it's hyper realistic or uses excessive literary figures of speech for visual flair or something else. I like nosebleeds, sleep bubbles, round blank-white "shocked" eyes, falling face-flat as visual cues just fine.

It also serves as a great equalizer. As far as genre goes, I'm far less selective about it. Well, that's besides Shoujo, but only because I've watched enough to notice a strong correlation of dislikes with it.

So when I keep a list, it's solely because I'll forget what I watched without it. I just put together a list recently, but I don't show it off or anything like that. The list hasn't reached very high levels, but I'm not in the business of making it grow as fast as possible. I just so happen to watch a lot of anime Smile
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
I really hope you didn't think I meant that seriously xD And considering the number of times people tell me on a daily basis that art means nothing, I'm majoring in art because I have no "real" skills, or that I'm wasting my life and my education, I really don't think there's a double standard here.

Nah, I didn't think you meant that seriously, haha. I guess every profession comes with people who are going to rip on it. I've definitely heard stuff like that, joking or not, more times than I can count, so I thought it was funny to see here.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Now I think it can be safely said that, in most cases, we watch anime for pleasure. But when I see people that have their anime lists number in 400s, 500s, 600s, and beyond, it becomes kind of hard for me to believe that. At the very least, I increasingly wonder if “I do it for pleasure” is the sole or even primary reason of anime consumption for many of those with the gargantuan lists. Maybe I’m just feeling real disheartened here, since looking at the rate my own list has progressed, it seems like I will never “catch up” with a good deal of fans, despite being into anime for nearly half my life.

You can watch anime really fast if you dedicate a substantial amount of time to it. If you watch 25 hours of anime per week on average (ca. 50 episodes) you will quickly build up a huge list. The average anime title is about 20 episodes long (some series are 300 episodes long while some movies are 3 episodes long, but I think that the average size of an anime is 20 episodes).

So if you devote most of our entertainment time to anime over the course of 2-3 years you will watch about 50 x 54 x 2-3 = 5,000 - 7,500 episodes, or about 250-375 anime titles. So it's not really hard to watch a lot of anime if you have the time. I was in vacation for 6 weeks and during that vacation time I decided to devote my entire vacation to watching anime (because I like it), as result I think I may have watched over 30 titles over these 6 weeks (including two whole series in one day). The most anime I watched in one day was 26 episodes (actually it was in the end of my vacation, I had finishing re-watching one series, finished another and watched a whole 12 episode series on top in that same day).

I also can get into the plot of a series and be curious about it so I can't do anything else besides watch until the end. For instance, today I watched 16 episodes of Claymore and finished the whole series because I became very involved in the plot.

So I think I am simply addicted to it. The visual style of many anime is extremely pleasing to my eye and I like to simply watch it even when the plot/characters are not actually interesting. I don't know why but I love the strong color contrasts and the background paintings and many types the character designs (though sometimes they don't look very good).

Quote:
I am conscious that I may be psychoanalyzing too much here. Even so, I remain very curious about the mindset with which you guys approach consuming anime—might you in part seek to increase the total number of anime you’ve watched/completed?’—and whether you feel that your approach contributes to some greater sense of “worth” as a fan or ‘nerd cred’ in you.

I think it's something that may be called "addiction". I just feel like I want to watch more and more.

I am beginning to become worried about running out of (good) anime to watch. Cool

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
I DO derive a measure of self-worth from how much anime I have watched. I am also proud of My Anime (go on, click on the link below and see why). I am quite comfortable admitting to both.

I also enjoy watching anime immensely.

Be envious of how many things bring me satisfaction.

And yet you still think that Paprika is the greatest anime of all time. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:04 am Reply with quote
^Each to their own.

Actually, you're both wrong, because the greatest anime of all time is Texhnolyze. Razz

Last edited by Ignatz on Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:54 am; edited 9 times in total
gsilver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote
I went through a phase where I watched all of the anime that I could get a hold of, but that was a while ago. It probably has a lot to do with my hoarding and OCD tendancies. It helped that at the time, it was new and novel to me. I was already a fan of cartoons and scifi, but scifi cartoons? Shocked

Nowadays, I don't even watch the first episode of something unless I think that I'm really going to like it... I still do seek out the new and novel experience, but I don't really find it in most anime.

That being said, I still get hyped up about some shows week to week, like Kill La Kill and Hunter X Hunter... but then again, I'm only watching a few more shows than that.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
I've always found the generally off-put reactions I get to my otaku-dom to be rather amusing.

That doesn't really influence any decision to watch, though. I do so because I enjoy the medium, though I'll admit that I'm much more picky about my anime than most.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who counts the number of anime they have watched or think that matters in any way is a noob or a huge dork.

It becomes impossible to keep an accurate number when you've been watching for more than five years or so unless you're keeping a list, in which case, why would you?

Maybe ten years ago when it was a relatively hard process to acquire anime and watching an obscure series seemed like an accomplishment, but now you can pretty much watch every series ever made without so much as a five-minute wait, assuming you're OK with raws.

For the record the last time I counted series it was about 150, but that I think that was before I could even legally drink. I couldn't begin to count it now. Nor do I want to. Although it's probably not as high as I think it is.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
to me, anime is no different than TV/movies, video game, and sports. IF i like them, I will watch/play. otherwise, i will not.

Yeah, I don't finish American TV shows as much as anime because American TV shows took forever to finish. I don't finish all the anime that i started too. Sometimes, i just stop watching them half way for no reason because if i like the anime.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

Quote:
Anyone who counts the number of anime they have watched or think that matters in any way is a noob or a huge dork.

You are wrong, some people just like to count and list their hobby. It doesn't matter what the hobby. Most likely it is part of their personality. I don't count and don't list. I have trouble keeping track of what I have for my own purposes. However, I see nothing wrong with the people that do.

Where the problem comes in is when people try to claim more credit as a fan based on number of shows watched, years in the hobby or some other artificial measurement. If you know what anime is and watch two or more series you are a fan. More shows make you a more accomplished fan, but not a better one. Trying to claim you are a better fan seems an odd way to determine self worth.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

That's an incredibly stupid attitude. While I don't think my list of watched anime matters to anyone other than myself, I like knowing for sure how many TV series, OVAs and movies/specials I've seen to completion. Keeping a list is also very helpful for someone with a bad memory like mine.

Things like ANN's MyAnime feature make it incredibly easy to keep track of what you've watched but I guess if you're a complete moron using something so simple might seem like a lot of work. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3