• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime consumption and ‘worth’ as a fan.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l7997

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
i'm interested in people's motivations in general but never thought to ask this question. I don't do it to be inspired (as in, I suddenly want to create), but there are ideas that i want to see explored and meaningful emotional experiences that i'd like to have.

It's unsatisfying to watch an anime and let it go unappreciated. I spent time to watch it so realizing how insignificant a certain show was to me is disappointing. It's like eating junk. it sucks in the longterm. If the experience was significant, even for a minute, i'd contemplate what mattered to me, what didn't, why i reacted this way to a character, etc. I become more aware of myself and that conscious effort is worth it.

the time I was intrigued by Fate/zero is a good example of a significant exp. I got as far as reading The Epic of Gilgamesh. It's an old tale and i found it mysterious that such a story was relatable despite it being made by humans from a different time. What I gained was a connection that i didn't have before and I think it's more fun to live making these connections. you'd inevitably realize how everything is tied together.
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:48 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Things like ANN's MyAnime feature make it incredibly easy to keep track of what you've watched but I guess if you're a complete moron using something so simple might seem like a lot of work. Rolling Eyes

If you actually wasted some of your irreplaceable, precious time on this Earth to keep track of how many anime you've seen...

you are a dork.

You might as well have spent that time learning Japanese so you can better appreciate anime instead.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:31 am Reply with quote
...or in your case if you spent the time improving your personality so that you weren't a complete jerk you might learn to actually appreciate life, not just anime.

I swear to god that anime fandom attracts some of the biggest a-holes around.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:56 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
If you actually wasted some of your irreplaceable, precious time on this Earth to keep track of how many anime you've seen...

you are a dork.

How is it a waste of time? I actually find it fun keeping a list of anime I've seen. I can use that list for reference or maybe rewatch a show I don't remember much about.

Maybe it's a waste of time to you, but not to Blood- or me or many others.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:27 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Banken wrote:

you are a dork.

How is it a waste of time? I actually find it fun keeping a list of anime I've seen. I can use that list for reference or maybe rewatch a show I don't remember much about.

Maybe it's a waste of time to you, but not to Blood- or me or many others.

I actually find it helpful because it means I don't have to remember where I'm up to in a show, therefore saving me time. Things like MAL can also recommend you things based on what you've seen, so it's not just a list. Besides, I'd say anime is an inherently dorky hobby, so what of it?
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:03 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Besides, I'd say anime is an inherently dorky hobby, so what of it?

It is, I was being relative. Also, I only said you were a dork, I wasn't passing judgement. Obviously trolling on an anime forum for fun is even dorkier. Hehehe.

Quote:

I actually find it fun keeping a list of anime I've seen.

I didn't say list, I said count. You're good at as long as you don't count them Smile

But how many series do you watch at once that you need a list to keep up with the episodes?
Nayu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:08 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
st_owly wrote:
Besides, I'd say anime is an inherently dorky hobby, so what of it?

It is, I was being relative. Also, I only said you were a dork, I wasn't passing judgement. Obviously trolling on an anime forum for fun is even dorkier. Hehehe.

Quote:

I actually find it fun keeping a list of anime I've seen.

I didn't say list, I said count. You're good at as long as you don't count them Smile

But how many series do you watch at once that you need a list to keep up with the episodes?

This season? 20ish.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:42 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

you are a dork.

If you use My Anime here at ANN, and probably other similar services, it does not take much time at all. Just a few seconds and a few clicks on the mouse will add a show to the list.
You have probably wasted more time calling people dorks than I have wasted on my anime list.

But, if you are doing something that you enjoy, such as keeping a list or trolling the forum, is that really any more of a waste of time than just watching anime? It is all part of the hobby.

Quote:
You might as well have spent that time learning Japanese so you can better appreciate anime instead.

To me that would be a much bigger waste of time.

Banken wrote:

With My Anime it is really the same thing. The software that keeps the list also displays a count of the items.
If somebody keeps a count just so that he can say "Ha Ha! I watch more anime than you do, luzer!" then he probably has some issues. But keeping a list that can be shared to show people what you have watched is a different thing.

Quote:

Is anybody here talking about doing that?
EDIT: Apparently st_owly and Nayu are talking about that, I think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
My gripe is about people who claim to watch 20 or 30 shows per season but when you ask about a particular show or want to compare notes about a certain episode it turns out they haven't gotten past episode 3 of that series or you have to re-explain the whole thing to them because the memory is just a blur among everything else they watch.

That's where it annoys me, where fans somehow turn how much anime they watch into a sort of dick-measuring contest. Just watch it because you enjoy it. Don't watch a lot of stuff you're not enjoying because you think it makes you the better fan. That's ridiculous. I don't think it's a bad thing to watch that many anime. But do it because you enjoy it, not because it means you're a better fan than someone else.

Personally I tend to find 3-5 shows per season to keep up with that I really like, sometimes more, sometimes less. It also helps me avoid getting burnt out. Even with that amount for about 15 years, you end up watching 150+ shows. I watched a lot more in the earlier days though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Rederoin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
My gripe is about people who claim to watch 20 or 30 shows per season but when you ask about a particular show or want to compare notes about a certain episode it turns out they haven't gotten past episode 3 of that series or you have to re-explain the whole thing to them because the memory is just a blur among everything else they watch.

That's where it annoys me, where fans somehow turn how much anime they watch into a sort of dick-measuring contest. Just watch it because you enjoy it. Don't watch a lot of stuff you're not enjoying because you think it makes you the better fan. That's ridiculous. I don't think it's a bad thing to watch that many anime. But do it because you enjoy it, not because it means you're a better fan than someone else.

But thats the thing, some people have no problem finding 15-20~ shows that they find enjoyable(in some way).

I personally try out at-least 1-3 episode(s) of each new show that airs each season. It'll end up in my backlog either way, so why not watch it while its airing?
Ambehr79

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
"I finally finished Aang The Last Airbender in a month!! LoK S1 in a week!! Shingeki no Kyojin in three days!!" -- after my whole life having only watched one anime episode per night due to my upbringing.

So no, I have no problem with how long it takes me to watch anime, nor how fast others demon-speed through their choice of anime.

My reason for watching anime is the emotional attachment I'll get to characters, the art, plot and plot twists, and finally, if it's got even a smidgeon of originality. My reason for watching anime is to please myself. [Because really, my list of recommended anime from other people is how long now? =w=]

As for statistics, I would LOVE to be up there with everyone, but only if I had infinite time to truly enjoy what I'd watched.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3