• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Freedom Project Trailer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:39 am Reply with quote
Ok well the trailer looks really impressive from an art standpoint, don't know about the sound. I need to go home so I can actually hear whats going on in this trailer, the bikes or what looked like bikes reminded me about Akira.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Iria51

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I have always liked Otomo's art style. This one definitly has an Akira feel to it in its direction and even in the mannerisms of the characters. I look forward to seeing more.
Raz_G

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, Otomo isn't directing it, someone else (Shuhei Morita) does. Which is very promising, because I think Otomo's biggest contribution to anime is the door he opened for other talented people (like Satoshi Kon).
As a director and a writer, however... I never found his work fitting my taste. Sure, he can construct beautiful scenes, but he has a real problem bringing them together into a coherent, interesting story. I never noticed he had this problem with his manga ("Domu" still ranks as a favorite for me), but his anime storytelling abilities are seriously lacking, to my taste.
Danno19

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Any way to save the stream to my computer? Anything streaming in Windows Media player for me always skips or the video stops and the audio keeps going. I'm on cable too... I am using SDP to try and save it to my PC but that wont work. Any thoughts?
Keichi-chan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
That think, really looks like Akira... I even think it play before Akira Oo

But the art sucks hard.. It looks like it was all made with AAE, or any other programm..
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's my connection but...

I thought those faces looked "flat", like it wasn't that much contours to them. Very little shading. Just looked different, not used to this type of design. The non-people CG stuff looked great imo (bikes, satellite).
Magenta Syntax

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:41 pm Reply with quote
It looks... odd. Cel shading over 3D people models. I hope they are still tweaking things. Mechanical design, the look of the world - nice.

Nissin cup 'o noodles is doing a major tie-in. This is the English text as-is from an ad in Sept 2006 NewType:

"In the 23rd century, human have immigrated to the Moon. They live in a domed megalopolis called Eden where the Republic of the Moon has been established. Under the control, people live peaceful lives. But real freedom doesn't exist."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1