• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DC Comics CEO on CMX, Tenjho Tenge Editing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emory

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
At this point, no one really expects them to. In fact, if you bother to read the posts, you'll notice that no one is even discussing whether or not they will.

I'm not just referring to this forum, but just the fact that it keeps getting brought up in Q&As and interviews. CMX should have it on their FAQs.
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Good thing that the manga is coming out in spanish unedited Anime smile

It comes in a plastic bag with a note : Only Adults.

I find it kinda hard to believe that DC couldn't have done something like that :S
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Tenjou Tenge is an utterly disgusting, chauvinistic and horrifying trash heap of a manga; CMX was fully justified in editing it to something more palatable. Any manga that glorifies rape should never, ever be circulated in the West, under any circumstances.

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Tenjou Tenge is an utterly disgusting, chauvinistic and dead average piece of garbage; CMX was fully justified in editing it to something more palatable. Any manga that glorifies rape should never, ever be circulated in the West, under any circumstances.

Good thing you're in charge of nothing. Smile
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't have to. CMX cleaned up house and showed those silly otaku who the real boss of the publishing industry really is.

Then again, I wouldn't expect grown men who live in their mother's basements to realise something as painfully obvious as that. Hah.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

Then again, I wouldn't expect grown men who live in their mother's basements to realise something as painfully obvious as that. Hah.

Welcome to 1997-based stereotypes and inability to use wit properly.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
I don't have to. CMX cleaned up house and showed those silly otaku who the real boss of the publishing industry really is.

By chance, does ANN know your on the payroll of CMX??
animalia555

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tenjou Tenge is an utterly disgusting, chauvinistic and horrifying trash heap of a manga; CMX was fully justified in editing it to something more palatable. Any manga that glorifies rape should never, ever be circulated in the West, under any circumstances.
First of all I would not say that the rape portrayed (or hinted at depeding on your point of view) in it isn't glorified as it is something only the villans do. Sencondly, and most importantly, HAVE YOU NEVER HEARD OF SOMETHING CALLED THE FIRST ADMENDMENT!!!

Last edited by animalia555 on Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
birdboy2000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

They can sell all the watered-down crap they want, but it doesn't matter if no one buys it.

The real boss -- that'd be a company like Tokyopop or Viz, that embraces the fanbase and doesn't hack up manga like it's still 1998 -- and incidentally, is much bigger in the industry.

CMX will feel it in the pocketbook soon enough, if they aren't doing so already.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
daggerbob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
You hit the nail on the head. Talk about dumbing down manga so you can sell it to kiddies. Still won't buy any of their titles! Twisted Evil
icepick314

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I gave up on CMX ever since their fiasco with TenTen...

that's why I support other Oh! Great's title Air Gear by Del Rey...

btw...how many volumes of TenTen have been sold anyway?

too bad CMX won't give out sales numbers to compare with Air Gear...for example....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I wish CMX had never edited TenTen; not because it was a title I particularly enjoyed or even had a smidgeon of care for, but because now I can't browse CMX's other manga in bookstores without menacing glares from angry otaku. Until they create an unedited version (which they never will), I don't think I'm ever going to be able to walk in to Borders and buy volume one of Land of the Blindfolded without an extremely pissed off man in a TenTen ski cap threatening to kill me if I purchase any CMX manga.
Alucalb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

Then they could have simply not published it in the first place.

I'm not a fan of TenTen either, but I'm against censorship in any fashion. Find something offensive? Don't look at it. Created something that may offend a certain group of people? Then tell them it wasn't meant for them in the first place. If you want to edit your work yourself so it can reach a wider audience that's fine, but if you didn't, wouldn't you be upset if the company distributing your work changes it without giving you a heads-up?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

BASED ON WHAT!? The English version is edited to a point of some people's disliking, but what of the storyline? If your second statement is true, then what is your thoughts about Berserk? Let me hear that before you tell us more.
Amibite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:10 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Judging by the numerous scantalations for Tenjho Tenge, I'd disagree.
The online anime community makes up a sliver of the American population. Compare Naruto's online community to all the people who watch it on Saturday Night on Toonami. Big difference.

Quote:
Then why do you have Vertigo?

I'm sure they were talking exclusivly about manga, which is viewed as kids fluff in the US.

Quote:
And yet how do you explain manga outselling your domestic titles 10-to-1?

Eh, the source I use doesn't really imply that

http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/9144.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5