• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: BONES Studio President Masahiko Minami

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
configspace wrote:
ANN interviewer wrote:
in the vein of moe– which foreign audiences tend not to be as receptive to.

Asian audiences, who are part of the foreign audience too, are very receptive to it.
I don't think the interviewer was asking about the niche market. It's well known that moe is exceptionally successful among hard-core asian fans, particularly in South East Asia. But moe titles have never appealed to non-anime fans. Moe sells exceptionally well in many markets, but it doesn't bring new fans to anime. Titles like Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Dragonball and Cowboy Bebop do that.

That I agreed with you 100%, Tempest. Also awesome interview with BONES Studio president.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I agree with the above, I think moe, kawaii, the perverse, and the downright strange can still bring fans to anime without the need of a Cowboy Bebop-like crutch. Perhaps they're the kind of fan you don't want to see added among the ranks, but that's YOUR problem, not theirs. Sure I may have gotten into anime in the 90s with the likes of Project A-ko, Armitage III, and Green Legend Ran, but I quickly came back after a break with the likes of Haruhi, Shakugan no Shana Rozen Maiden, Inukami, and Zero no Tsukaima. Even if your Little Busters and Clannads don't themselves bring people into initially anime, new fans can instantly flock to them once they discover their own likes and dislikes. I'm sure Toradora alone hooked many new fans to anime.

Man, it would be cool if someone did a little survey on fans nowadays on what was the first anime that got them hooked in the first place. I wonder if it is the same type of shows as before or if there's some shift.

Quote:
Also the notion of COWBOY BEBOP FOR THE WESTERNERS, MOESHIT FOR JAPANESE is outdated and should make you look like an idiot, plenty of us MURRICANS love the moe and ecchi (and I suppose the shoujo and josei, since that's as opposite of CB as you could get), and buy the merchandise. There is no clear cut divide, and I would argue the greater threat to not creating future anime fans is the lack of Toonami at the 4-6 PM weekday time slot.

There's no doubt that's the case for some fans, but what about in general beyond here, that fansub forum, the blogsphere, 4chan, and such? If you were to entice any random everyday person or a group of peeps into anime that also allows them to remove some preconceptions about it as well, what will you show them?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
There's no doubt that's the case for some fans, but what about in general beyond here, that fansub forum, the blogsphere, 4chan, and such? If you were to entice any random everyday person or a group of peeps into anime that also allows them to remove some preconceptions about it as well, what will you show them?

Miyazaki. Since non-anime fans could still possibly get uncomfortable with the likes of Cowboy Bebop or Outlaw Star (forget AKIRA, any Gundam, or Crest of the Stars), whereas Miyazaki is non-threatening and safe. This is also assuming they're likely not sci-fi or fantasy fans, who would more than likely be open to new horizons like. Same goes with those who would enjoy the more artistic bits of anime out there, which wouldn't be your Average Joe.

Then again, I personally don't want to force people into anime or tell them why should like or enjoy it. I'd rather see a fan come of their own volition, by their own discovery, however that may happen. If they see Queen's Blade and other titty shows at the top of Netflix's list, and that shapes their perceptions, then so be it.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Cause you know, nothing made since 2000 makes any new fans. Only old graybeard anime can do that!

Even worse, all these anime are shonen/seinen shows. No shoujo or josei anime create new fans, only male-orientated shows can possibly do that! No fans were created by shows like Sailor Moon, Madoka Magica, Princess Tutu, Free!, or Revolutionary Girl Utena of course.

Obviously Sailor Moon brought in, quite literally, millions of fans.

Given Princess Tutu's abysmal sales, it's pretty hilarious that you suggested it.

Mado Magi is an absolutely amazing show, but, and I'm just making an assumption here, I don't think it is highly mainstream accessible. I don't see non-anime fans watching it long enough to realize that it's a good show.

Utena was popular, but never to the degree of the shows I mentioned above.

Free? Seriously ? That's not a major hit. Are you trying to make my point for me ?

Yes, I listed older examples. Largely because there have been a lot fewer cross-over (also called "breakout") hits recently. Obviously One Piece and Naruto are huge, but neither of those is actually "New." We'll see how Attack on Titan does when it's released on DVD, and if anyone picks it up for a TV broadcast.

Please understand, I'm not criticizing any of these shows from a quality point of view. My point is entirely about mainstream accessibility. Ie: Anime that are watched by non-anime fans. Every person in the industry that I've ever spoken to, both in Japan and abroad (not just America) agrees that the anime industry has had a problem with this for the last 8 or so year, but it seems to be getting better now. I could go on for much much longer, I give lectures on the subject Smile

-t
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Those last eight or so years had diddly squat to do with the quality of the shows, I'll refer back to my point on the absolute lack of "get from the middle/elementary school and turn on anime" television block. Otherwise, all that's on during the day are the "get your parents to buy you the cards" anime.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'll refer back to my point on the absolute lack of "get from the middle/elementary school and turn on anime" television block.

This is extremely true. It's not the only part of the problem, but it's a big part of the problem in North America. It is part of what I referred to as "market conditions."

Quote:
Perhaps they're the kind of fan you don't want to see added among the ranks, but that's YOUR problem, not theirs.
It's not the kind of fans. Anime producers don't care what kind of fans come in - as long as fans come in. Sadly most shows designed for pre-existing anime fans don't convert a lot of non-anime fans. Certainly shows like f Haruhi, Shakugan no Shana Rozen Maiden, Inukami, and Zero no Tsukaima as well as Little Busters, Clannad and even KissXsis make some new fans. But they don't make a lot relatively speaking.

Quote:
Also the notion of COWBOY BEBOP FOR THE WESTERNERS, MOESHIT FOR JAPANESE is outdated and should make you look like an idiot, plenty of us MURRICANS love the moe and ecchi (and I suppose the shoujo and josei, since that's as opposite of CB as you could get), and buy the merchandise.

Was this directed towards me? I was never referring to Japan vs. America. But mainstream vs otaku. The problem is the same in Japan, and in many other markets. The growth in the consumption of anime has slowed down in part due to the fact that a larger portion of the anime that was produced in the past decade was not "mainstream accessible." Especially the stuff geared towards older (ie: seinen/josei) audiences.

This stuff is accepted fact in the industry. Denying it is like denying climate change.

-t
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I hope you look forward to Space Dandy, the universe's stupidest [baka] anime! We've taken one great hardships to ensure this is the universe's stupidest anime. It will definitely be something to look forward, enjoy, and laugh at.
Those must have been some really great hardships to out stupid most of the recent releases that have been evacuated from the arse end of anime these past few years mate. This one I'll have to see if only to verify it. Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Was this directed towards me? I was never referring to Japan vs. America. But mainstream vs otaku. The problem is the same in Japan, and in many other markets. The growth in the consumption of anime has slowed down in part due to the fact that a larger portion of the anime that was produced in the past decade was not "mainstream accessible." Especially the stuff geared towards older (ie: seinen/josei) audiences.

This stuff is accepted fact in the industry. Denying it is like denying climate change.

From my understanding, 'mainstream accessible' in Japan doesn't necessarily indicate shows like Cowboy Bebop, Eureka Seven, or Space Dandy. I'd think more along the lines of some highly popular manga getting an adaptation, like Chihayafuru and Shingeki no Kyojin. Those both can be accessible to new fans, but only one really sold any discs while they both do well in book sales. Space Brothers and Hunter x Hunter are your long-term mainstream shows. I see the growth in late-night series as a replacement for the OVA system, and thus most shows will be directed at established fans.

Even though there may have been a downturn in the market, as the late-night OVA-replacement series are my main source of anime consumption, the market changes are imperceptible to me. I get well serviced and I get anime I want seasonally, and the only threat to this continuing on is if otaku stop buying. Now, if fewer future otaku are being produced because of the lack of mainstream gateway anime, how long would it take before it was noticeable?
stove top stuffing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Man, it would be cool if someone did a little survey on fans nowadays on what was the first anime that got them hooked in the first place. I wonder if it is the same type of shows as before or if there's some shift.

First got in to anime back when dragon ball/z was on the air back in the day. Also, watched Akira and Ghost in the shell, then stopped watching.

3 years ago I was drunk and bored and was surfing netflix and came across clannad. Had my roomate come watch as well and we both thought it was (and still do) the greatest thing ever. Hit the internet to see what else Key had released which led me to Kanon and Air. After that I started watching all the anime on netflix and I was off an running. Now that my manga collection is 420 volumes and counting not to mention hundreds of dvd/blu ray volumes I am an anime addict. Clannad was the gateway drug which seems pretty strange now that I think about it.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:49 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Naruto and Evangelion got me to actively seek out anime to watch without it having to be on TV or someone giving me a DVD. Netflix played a massive role too I only followed whatever was on Adult Swim but Netflix let me explore out. I was renting like 4-6 discs a week for about 6 months straight, just soaking up everything they had to offer.

Oddly, the series with moe designs that everyone loathes are what got me into it. Gunslinger Girl, Elfen Lied, etc. I gobbled most of that stuff up and became more than just someone casually into anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2