• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto, Hellsing Nominated for Quills Award

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I wonder if Naruto fans are going to stuff that ballot box too and make Naruto "Book of the Year" (out of all books, not just Graphic Novels) and make the Quills Award lose whatever tiny shred of credibility in the publishing world that it might have had?

Actually, Publisher's Weekly itself (the organization putting on The Quills) is quite respectable and credible in the publishing world. It's a trade magazine, which means that it's pretty much the diametric opposite of fanboy fodder; only serious book nerds and "industry insiders" give enough of a crap to read it (although that also breeds a shortsightedness of an entirely different flavor). In fact, the Publisher's Weekly Comics Weekly is a regular online feature that I'd say is required reading for anyone who follows the business side of comics and manga or, heck, just wants to be well-informed.

It's just that the way they've decided to structure The Quills hands it over to the teeming masses instead of, you know, people who would probably be well-qualified to make selections under each category -- like Heidi MacDonald and Calvin Reid Laughing. I mean, who's dumb enough to nominate a prose novel just because it's written by a comics guy and based on comic characters?

So it pays to be wary of "industry awards" in general. They all have slants depending on who runs them, who's on the nominating panel, who's on the judging panel, what Pokemon type they are, and whether Pluto is a planet or not. Hell, I even take the Kodanshas, the Shogakukans, and the Tezuka Cultural Prize with a grain of salt. They've all got some agenda. And the Eisners and Harveys are right out.
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Irregarless of which wins (and it maybe neither), I'm glad to see the anime/manga exposure. The US market is overall rather undeveloped (imho) and any thing that puts forth a face is great.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe Naruto is winning on ANNs poll. Shocked

Well I guess I am not that shocked, but still.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

So it pays to be wary of "industry awards" in general. They all have slants depending on who runs them, who's on the nominating panel, who's on the judging panel, what Pokemon type they are, and whether Pluto is a planet or not. Hell, I even take the Kodanshas, the Shogakukans, and the Tezuka Cultural Prize with a grain of salt. They've all got some agenda. And the Eisners and Harveys are right out.

The Kodansha and Shoga awards shouldn't even be considered contests since they're essentially elaborate PR stunts for the publishers' most popular mangas. The Tezukas are far more reputable. They make their agenda pretty clear, but most of the time the nominees deserve the praise (though like the Oscars the winner seems to be dictated by politics and popularity). The Media Arts Awards are pretty much the only ones I really pay attention to. As for the Eisners and the Harveys, they're usually somewhat reputable in certian categories, though in the past they've made it clear that going against the grain isn't looked highly upon (I don't care how crazy or pretensious he got, you've got to acknowlege Dave Sim, if only for his art and lettering). Publishers Weekly is a good source of news though, even if their "Best of '05" was bias and very suspicious in terms of including comics that got tons of press (I think most people can agree that the two OEL titles shouldn't have been on the list even if one of them was very enjoyable).
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Naruto = the next DBZ

I too like that show so it'll hopefully win. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, I voted for Hellsing (graphic novel), Calvin and Hobbes (humor), and King's Cell (horror). I love Hellsing. Calvin and Hobbes is Classic and I must remember to put that collection on my Christmas list if it's not sold out. Plus, I only read the preview chapter of Cell, waiting for soft cover because I like the format, but it's a zombie book set in Boston starring a comic book creator. A book about a zombie attack on the streets you walked on so often, sign me up.

Patachu wrote:
I mean, who's dumb enough to nominate a prose novel just because it's written by a comics guy and based on comic characters?

I thought Chris Claremont was a prose writer. They just hired someone to add pictures in the small spaces between his many many words.

Anyway, there's no way an adaptation of that terrible movie deserved to be nominated. Plus Clairmont.. well.. I guess I'm just not a fan, at least of his recent work.
Yunacat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote
This seems kinda neat actually. I know which one i'm voting for! (hint: i haven't read Hellsing.) I might try to vote for some other topics too!^^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2