• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
White Album 2 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Ugh I really hated the ending. It wasn't because I was on team Setsuna and she lost, but it was the fact that he cheated on her. He didn't even break up with her and he goes sleeping with her best friend. A total School Days move. In the end I was more anti-Haruki than on team Setsuna. That scumbag doesn't deserve either them and I am glad Kazusa left. I still gave this a Very Good because I loved the first 10 or so episodes.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote
A part of me never understood was why Setsuna felt so infatuated with Haruki. She's a pretty girl and can get pretty much any guy. Haruki's, well, pretty average and if I remember correctly, he said to Touma that he's "nothing special." Another part of me feels that Haruki only dated Setsuna as an obligation to "never leave her side." It doesn't seem like he was in genuine love with her but only dated her because of her earlier confession and promise. I don't intend to justify his cheating but it seems to me that he couldn't or didn't want to just leave Setsuna behind. He really feels guilty about the cheating and blames himself for it. Overall, I thought the show portrays the mistakes of each character very well and transitioned into how it ended.

And no, I don't think you can compare this to School Days. It's more like Rumbling Hearts than School Days. For this to achieve School Days levels, Haruki would need to be rampaging through the halls of his school searching and accepting whatever prey he finds. And then he loses his head. It'll be a "nice concert" ending. Laughing
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:

And no, I don't think you can compare this to School Days. It's more like Rumbling Hearts than School Days. For this to achieve School Days levels, Haruki would need to be rampaging through the halls of his school searching and accepting whatever prey he finds. And then he loses his head. It'll be a "nice concert" ending. Laughing

I never found Takayuki's actions to be scummish. He had a legit reason to start going out with Mitsuki. No one had any idea if spoiler[Haruka would wake up from the coma.] It was logical to move on. Meanwhile Haruki had plenty of chances to break up with Setsuna. Since he didn't, it makes it feel like if it didn't go well with Touma, he would still have Setsuna to fall back on. I only compared it to School Days because that it is the only anime that I can think off the top of my head that had cheating.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Haruki didn't see Setsuna as some sort of untouchable goddess/school idol. he dealt with her like any other person, and that was likely what got her to pay more attention to him. The idea of dating someone who can see beyond the surface was probably really appealing to her.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Or. Maybe he is just really big ... down there.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
well, might partially explain why Kazusa couldn't walk straight the next morning
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I was talking about his feet. What are you talking about, perv? Wink
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anyone would be able to walk straight after an elephant slams their lower half. Laughing

getchman wrote:
Haruki didn't see Setsuna as some sort of untouchable goddess/school idol. he dealt with her like any other person, and that was likely what got her to pay more attention to him. The idea of dating someone who can see beyond the surface was probably really appealing to her.

I guess that could be enough of a reason. Maybe someone with better memory can correct me but Setsuna's confession occurred after their performance, right? I may need to rewatch this part but I don't think it'll matter.

From what I understood (and remember) of her conversation with Io, Setsuna didn't want to be left behind hence why she said she intruded upon Touma and Haruki's budding romance. That comes across as selfish and manipulative. Though, like I said, the three characters made mistakes which turned into regrets.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, she confessed after the concert. I'm not really sure why she was worried in the first place. Yes, she clearly saw that Kazusa was in love with Haruki, but he didn't know that. from his perspective, she had absolutely no interest in him, and I figure he'd eventually give up once they graduated, and then Satsuna could make her move without causing the second half of the show to happen. but then then that would be boring and there wounldn't be a second half after the concert
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Meanwhile Haruki had plenty of chances to break up with Setsuna. Since he didn't, it makes it feel like if it didn't go well with Touma, he would still have Setsuna to fall back on.

He didn't break up with Setsuna, because he had promised her that he won't unless she wants to. He's not scum, he's an idiot (and ready to admit it). Whether this counts as good writing though is up to you.

getchman wrote:
I'm not really sure why she was worried in the first place. Yes, she clearly saw that Kazusa was in love with Haruki, but he didn't know that. from his perspective, she had absolutely no interest in him, and I figure he'd eventually give up once they graduated, and then Satsuna could make her move without causing the second half of the show to happen.

Why do you think he'd give up without confronting her? I mean Haruki wrote a love song for Touma, he was into her since the beginning. Eventually he would've spit it out just like he did. Setsuna admittedly tried to snatch him before that could happen.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:04 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Meanwhile Haruki had plenty of chances to break up with Setsuna. Since he didn't, it makes it feel like if it didn't go well with Touma, he would still have Setsuna to fall back on.

He didn't break up with Setsuna, because he had promised her that he won't unless she wants to. He's not scum, he's an idiot (and ready to admit it). Whether this counts as good writing though is up to you.

Oh right I forgot about that promise. It still was a scumbag move to sleep with Touma.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:13 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:

getchman wrote:
I'm not really sure why she was worried in the first place. Yes, she clearly saw that Kazusa was in love with Haruki, but he didn't know that. from his perspective, she had absolutely no interest in him, and I figure he'd eventually give up once they graduated, and then Satsuna could make her move without causing the second half of the show to happen.

Why do you think he'd give up without confronting her? I mean Haruki wrote a love song for Touma, he was into her since the beginning. Eventually he would've spit it out just like he did. Setsuna admittedly tried to snatch him before that could happen.

the way I see it, Setsuna confessing was the catalyst for everything unraveling. had she not panicked, then I believe the status quo between Haruki and Kazusa would have remained the same. He'd continuing hinting, and she'd continuing rebuffing. Either he'd eventually give up, convinced she's not romantically interested in him or loose patience, confront her, and she would still rebuff him, and still goes to Vienna.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:13 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Oh right I forgot about that promise. It still was a scumbag move to sleep with Touma.

Now that was wrong of him and I would act completely spoiler[the same].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:16 am Reply with quote
To me, this latest discussion points out why this was a poorly handled show. Ostensibly, it was supposed to be a love triangle, but for a long time that triangle didn't really exist. Certainly not in any dramatic or interesting way.

Did you ever get the sense that Kazusa was tormented by his "choices" until near the end? I didn't. For the first half of the show it was all about preparing for the festival and oh yeah there are two girls around.

So then Setsuna confesses and Kazusa pretty much is all, "yeah, sure." Again, I don't remember much angst around that decision.

Then did you ever really feel that Setsuna and Kazusa were a true couple? I sure didn't. And perhaps that's the point, but if it is, it still dampens the dramatic conflict. What's the dramatic value in telling a story of a love triangle where one of the points is pretty "meh" about one of the other points?

So then spoiler[Kazusa sleeps with Haruki] - pretty much the most dramatically interesting event of the whole series - aaaaaaaaand the show's over.

Pretty piss-poor story-telling and structuring as a whole if you ask me.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:53 am Reply with quote
There are two very distinct parts in the show - before and after the concert. Before the concert they meet, we get to know the characters and they get to know each other. The concert is the high point of their friendship (which is just as important if not more important part of the show than the triangle).

We however know from Episode 1, scene 1, that it's not gonna last and that there's a love triangle there. The second part then gradually reveals how exactly Kazusa feels about Haruki and why the deterioration of their friendship is inevitable. The second part felt a bit rushed to me, i was hoping for a bit more build-up.

What concerns Setsuna/Haruki - that was definitely low-key, but I liked it, it had a little more subtlety than is usual for anime romances.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7