• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ghibli Hangs Anti-Nuclear Power Banner on Rooftop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I absolutely agree with Studio Ghibi!

Japan should shut down all their nuclear plants and instead rely solely on coal and oil to generator power! No more nuclear waste! No more radiation risks! Of course, Japan would become completely reliant on foreign raw materials, but that's such a small price to pay! And, well, you'd need a lot of gas and coal plants to replace the ones based of nuclear power. But it's totally worth it, by gum!
Except for one thing. It was their reliance on "foreign resources" that fueled Japan's imperialist expansionism and the reason they wrongly decided to attack the US at Pearl Harbour, after the US slapped a heavy oil embargo on them. They still live to regret it and the reason they want to be self sufficient in these matters. Those who forget their history are condemned to relive it. Wink

Jeez. Do I really *have* to mark my articles with the [sarcasm] flag? Seriously. When Ghibli says something as ridulous as that, the only response should be sarcasm because they're clearly so clueless that an honest response would be pointless.

But, fine: Japan has no real choice but to rely on nuclear power at current tech levels. Wind and solar are, perhaps, fine for limited purposes, but no good for most commerical or any energy intensive uses. Anyone who seriously believes that solar or wind can replace the majority of nuclear power production in Japan is living in an echo chamber with fellow ideologically blind fools.

Can nuclear power be made more safe? Of course. Science and engineering knowledge is always moving foward. New materials, new designs, new safety measure, new operating procedures -- all gradually improving over time. Certainly steps will be taken to ensure that what happened with the Fukushima plant is not repeated: we tend to learn from our mistakes even more than from our successes.

I would be happy if we could find a source of power more efficient than nuclear power. Something abundant, easy to process and distribute, and with little or no pollution when used: yeah, that would be great, but it doesn't exist yet. Until it does, we need to use what we have in as safe and efficient a manner as is practical.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:56 am Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

You do understand that power doesn't come direct from the panels, but from the large batteries the panels charge up during the day, connected to a DC/AC power inverter?

They do not charge when there's no sun, however. That, and the efficiency isn't exactly enormous.
No. When it's dark they don't charge that's correct. However as long as there's daylight even if cloudy they still charge the cells. I never said it was a perfect solution, but it's better to be at least 65% less reliant on limited resources like the national grid than to be 100% a constant drain, don't you think? With such a forward thinking and technological advanced nation like Japan if anyone can make it work, it's them. I've heard that recurring montra of "today's shiny new nuclear power is better than yesterday's" too many times in my life. Just remember Fukushima was once "today's shiny new nuclear power" back then too. Sure it's great when it's working, and sure they should have shut it down and decommissioned it before running it well past its use-by date. If anything good comes out of that mess is that we realise finally that no matter how safe we believe nuclear power is, the consequences when it goes wrong last for millenniums.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
Maybe they just are scared of Godzilla attacking there town again Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm with Ghibli on this, and I voted against nuclear power here in Italy, recently.

There are alternatives, they are complex but they exist. Just look at Germany and think at where they will be in 10-20 years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3