• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Foisting Gundams

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I was just wondering about Turn A Gundam myself. Brian's answer makes me sad Sad

As for the original series, having watched half of it and the compilation movies I'd definitely recommend the latter over the former. I know recutting a TV series into a film doesn't usually work, but in this case it totally does.
doctorx0079

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
What Bandai and Sunrise would say about a Gundam live-action movie: "We never had to do that in Japan. Also, we already tried that with G-Savior". Rolling Eyes
GoldenAvenger7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
doctorx0079 wrote:
What Bandai and Sunrise would say about a Gundam live-action movie: "We never had to do that in Japan. Also, we already tried that with G-Savior". Rolling Eyes

First, you have to understand there are two different cultures at play here. In Japan, Gundam is their national scifi past-time, just as Star Wars is ours. Here, Gundam would have to permeate into a culture that prefers life-action movies over anime, and is already saturated in the scifi community with american providence scifi....Star Trek, Star Wars, etc. So Gundam would have a near impossible task of amalgamating itself into our culture without a live action movie. Transformers is a perfect analogy. It was a great cartoon many of us grew up with and love, but toys, posters, goods, etc. did not become mainstream until the live action blockbuster movies. Which leads me to my second contention, G-Savior had the production budget of a made for t.v., saturday evening scifi channel original movie. It therefore attracted about the same audience and consequently went straight to dvd, and was forgotten by most. If Bandai/Sunrise does not recognize this and agrees with your statement, then they don't deserve to have Gundam be any more than it already is, and furthermore, will facilitate it never being anything more. Sorry if this is harsh, but it's the lawyer in me coming out, and laying it down straight. If they want it to be anything more than what it is here, they MUST do something along the lines of what I recommended in my previous post for it to have a chance of being accepted by a US audience on a large scale.
Shimauma

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
This made me so crazy I registered for the site.

So, apparently not a one of you (or Answerman!) is aware that the first volume of Bandai's Girl who Leapt Through Space dvd has a Turn-A trailer on it.

It's. On. The. Way. Stop freaking out! Rolling Eyes
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but I have trouble believing the Answerman concerning Turn A Gundam when he is dead wrong about the original Gundam series (which is getting a bilingual release as Bandai has already confirmed it). Seems to me like the Answerman might not have all of the answers here. Personally, I think it's highly likely that BANDAI will give us more info about Turn A Gundam at Anime Expo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
doctorx0079

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote
@ GoldenAvenger7 : Everything you said is true, it's just that Sunrise and Bandai will never ever do that. Unless James Cameron waved millions of yen at them, but even then it's a toss-up. Yes, G-Savior does suck real bad. Enuka Okuma (who was Lady Une in Gundam Wing) gave it her best shot but everything else about G-Savior sucks.
rojse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:24 am Reply with quote
Akira - Every single article I read about the upcoming movie suggests that the violence will be toned down and the intelligent themes will be excised, both of which I consider to be equally prominent aspects of the original manga and anime which should not be compromised. I have no hopes of seeing a remotely decent movie if this makes it to the cinema, let alone a movie worthy of comparison to the original manga or animated movie, both of which I consider to be masterpieces.

Battle Angel Alita - the simple fact that James Cameron is attached to this as director is enough to get me excited about this movie - Cameron knows how to make a spectacular movie and use state-of-the-art special effects, but Cameron is at least directing Avatar 2 and 3, and between that and any other projects Cameron decides to tackle, I don't have high expectations of this movie actually being made in the next decade.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - I don't think Hollywood executives would want a movie script about the lives of depressed mecha pilots that would cost an exhorbitant amount to shoot, no matter how successful it is in Japan. This will only make it into the cinema with a cheery "you can do it with the power of your beliefs" message attached to it instead, and miss the whole point of Evangelion.

Cowboy Bebop - It wasn't a movie mentioned in the Answerman question, but I mention it because I think there's a chance of this being made, and I actually think that this could work as a Hollywood movie - the show has a western feel to it, it's rather undemanding intellectually, and there's nothing that is too controversial that wouldn't be able to be put in a Hollywood scipt. I also think Keanu Reaves is a good choice as actor for Spike - unemotive, detached, and he does look cool pointing a gun.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Didn't Gundam Wing air on Toonami first, then the original series? I don't think it was a bad idea to put the original series on TV like everyone thinks it is.

CN had already admitted that whenever they put on old-looking animation shows, the ratings plummeted. Gundam, Voltron, ThunderCats, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3