• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Sugar SmAX

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:41 am Reply with quote
Zac and Justin movie nerd talk! The weekend is looking up.

In regards to Super 8, although I haven't seen it yet (it's not out here until August for some reason) I'm kind of baffled by the pre-release reaction it seems to be getting. If there's anyone who agrees with Justin's sentiment in the podcast, can someone explain what the problem is?

To give some context, I was born in 1987 and haven't seen any of the movies Super 8 is apparently supposed to be an homage to. To me it just looks like a sci-fi movie about a bunch of kids and an alien, and I was completely non-plussed when people started saying it was some sort of nostalgia-fest.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote
I'm starting to feel a little down over the fact that I can't attend AX this year. But, at least there's no Rie Kugimiya or Norio Wakamoto there. That would have made missing it downright unbearable! What I've always liked about AX is the fact that they bring in a lot of non-musical Japanese guests. Musical guests are fine and all, but I really don't follow them that closely, so I don't often get overly excited about them. Last year was probably only the second time I've really been stoked to see a musical guest, and that's because it was pretty much assured that I'd get a chance to see Yoko Kanno. The only other time would have been at Anime Boston 2010 when I made sure to watch the Video Game Orchestra since I felt there was an excellent chance that Nobuo Uematsu would come out and perform with them.

Thinking back though, I have been to concerts at every AX I've attended. There was Maaya Sakamoto in 2005, Aya Hirano, Yuko Goto, and Minori Chihara in 2007, and May'n, Megumi Nakajima, and Yoko Kanno in 2010. Still, with the exception of 2005, which was my first convention anywhere and so I was largely just wandering around in awe and didn't have much of a plan (which is a shame, because looking back there was so much there that I wish I could have experienced), the musical guests have pretty much been a secondary factor to me. It's nice that they're there, but I doubt I'd ever fly all the way across the country just to attend AX to see them. Well, maybe for Miku. But my primary focus is on Japanese voice actors, and directors. The people that originally bring the anime to life. I have not and probably never will attend any Q&A session for a dub actor, nor would I ever want their autographs. So I'm glad Anime Expo focuses more on the Japanese side of things. It does set them apart from other conventions in my mind.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Zac, re: Usagi Drop not being creepy... we're all hoping the anime either ends at around volume 4, or goes with a different ending than the manga. Want to know why? Well... spoiler[after several volumes of realistic, touching drama about being a single dad, we get a time skip, Rin grows up, and they become a couple. Seriously. They get married. He winds up boning the little girl he raised. Yeah.] So I'm not so much looking forward to the anime as waiting to see what they decide to do with the manga.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Zac, re: Usagi Drop not being creepy... we're all hoping the anime either ends at around volume 4, or goes with a different ending than the manga. Want to know why? Well... spoiler[after several volumes of realistic, touching drama about being a single dad, we get a time skip, Rin grows up, and they become a couple. Seriously. They get married. He winds up boning the little girl he raised. Yeah.] So I'm not so much looking forward to the anime as waiting to see what they decide to do with the manga.

We're just not allowed to have nice things, are we? Good lord.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
What caught my ear was one of the guys (forgot which one) saying that the Last Exile Fam premier was going to be months before Japan got it, guess that confirms that it'll be a fall or later show which is nice to know. Does make me a little sad though that I won't be able to see it, the suspense is going to kill me then.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

*Whistles a psychotic happy tune whilst rounding up some bleach and steel wool--Can't get clean. Can't get clean. Can't get clean...*

spoiler[It's LEGAL to adopt then marry the same person in Japan? Wow]

Japan and Russia: Keepin' the G-8 Classy.

PS. Great guests--true class.

[Spoiler tags added ~Zalis]

Last edited by CareyGrant on Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

I am now completely depressed and utterly disappointed with the mangaka.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
At first I was planning on going to AM2 but after looking at their schedule, I decided to go to Anime Expo instead because they have panels I am curious of and their List of Guest of Honors are much better.
AM2 had too many musical guest and barely any of anything else. So it looks like it will get some of the Teen otaku percentage.

vashfanatic wrote:

Wait, WHAT!? But isn't Usagi Drop a josei manga!? Wow this just made me upset I thought that this manga would be different
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

What the shit?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Yeah, somebody posted that spoiler on another thread, and I have never been more happy to have been spoiled in my life. I double-checked around to make sure it was true, then decided I'd loved the series to this point, and I would just pretend that it ended some completely different. Hopefully the anime actually will.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Geeze, now I'm really hesitant to read Bunny Drop but, after checking Wikipedia, I can't imagine the show being able to cram in more than 24 chapters (volume 4 ends on chapter 24) into 11 episodes so it sounds like that would be a pretty good stopping point if not earlier.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I'd have rather not been spoiled, but due to the reactions by people it's pretty obvious what the spoiler is about. And I guess I don't really have a problem with said spoiler. It would take a heck of a lot more than that for me to be disturbed by something I read. I just think that from what I've read thus far of Bunny Drop, that it was an unnecessary plot development.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I just think that from what I've read thus far of Bunny Drop, that it was an unnecessary plot development.

But see, that's a large part of the problem. It's so directly contradictory to the tone of the series at the outset. People have come online trying to argue that it's all somehow a "coming full circle" since spoiler[Rin's mother had an affair with Daikichi's grandfather and there was a big age gap there], but that completely ignores the fact that spoiler[Daikichi's grandfather didn't raise Rin's mother]. That someone would spoiler[have a sexual relationship with their adopted child they raised from preschool age] is absolutely creepy and series-killing, at least to me, and certainly given how un-creepy and charming the series is as it begins.
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Zac wrote:

Yeah, somebody posted that spoiler on another thread, and I have never been more happy to have been spoiled in my life. I double-checked around to make sure it was true, then decided I'd loved the series to this point, and I would just pretend that it ended some completely different. Hopefully the anime actually will.

I found the authors take on relationships too interesting and the art too fascinating as to consider to drop the manga at any point.

At least the mangaka didn't try to please the fans (I have yet to find someone who is pleased by this ending (my initial response was the obligatory "What the shit?")) but instead tried to tell something.

Oh and the entire post time skip arc is told from Rin´s perspective.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Plus there's the whole spoiler[being in an intimate relationship with one's aunt, since I'd think technically and from a legal standpoint Rin would be his aunt. And that would fall under most incest laws too I do believe] But, like I said, I've read much worse. I just think that whole development could have been cut out and the story wouldn't have suffered any. Heck, it obviously would have improved it in a lot of people's eyes. Still won't stop me from watching the anime or reading the rest of the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4