• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Sugar SmAX

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heavyweather

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote
well, after wishing I hadn't bought those volumes of Bunny Drop...

This was a great podcast, but who chose the music between segments? It was really cool (and unexpected) to see a Neverhood (or Skullmonkeys) song pop up in this ANNcast!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
NonoAsumy wrote:
At least the mangaka didn't try to please the fans (...) but instead tried to tell something.

And that "something" was...? To me, the crime is not even against morality per se but against the story itself. It's a complete thematic derailing. It would be as if George R.R. Martin decided his last three books of A Song of Ice and Fire were going to be spotless sunshine and optimism. It wouldn't matter if he was "telling something" or even if they were written, it would be a betrayal of the work to that point.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
I just think that from what I've read thus far of Bunny Drop, that it was an unnecessary plot development.

But see, that's a large part of the problem. It's so directly contradictory to the tone of the series at the outset. People have come online trying to argue that it's all somehow a "coming full circle" since spoiler[Rin's mother had an affair with Daikichi's grandfather and there was a big age gap there], but that completely ignores the fact that spoiler[Daikichi's grandfather didn't raise Rin's mother]. That someone would spoiler[have a sexual relationship with their adopted child they raised from preschool age] is absolutely creepy and series-killing, at least to me, and certainly given how un-creepy and charming the series is as it begins.

I completely agree--totally contradictory. It would be like Daddy Warbucks makin' the moves on Annie.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:42 am Reply with quote
It's taking all of my willpower to not click those spoilers for Bunny Drop. I'm still going to watch the anime and collect the manga. If its really THAT bad then I can always rage and proceed to sell the manga like I did (am going to) with Ouran Anime hyper
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:25 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
NonoAsumy wrote:
At least the mangaka didn't try to please the fans (...) but instead tried to tell something.

And that "something" was...? To me, the crime is not even against morality per se but against the story itself. It's a complete thematic derailing. It would be as if George R.R. Martin decided his last three books of A Song of Ice and Fire were going to be spotless sunshine and optimism. It wouldn't matter if he was "telling something" or even if they were written, it would be a betrayal of the work to that point.

It feels like you are trying to reduce a story to merely its plot.

Throughout the manga Usagi Drop puts a heavy emphasis on the portrayal and meaning of relationships.
If it suddenly turned into a trashy slashfic then (and only then) the comparison you made would be valid.
But fortunately it doesn´t.

However I am curious to see a different interpretation in the anime.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:28 am Reply with quote
NonoAsumy wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Zac wrote:
We're just not allowed to have nice things, are we? Good lord.

Yeah, somebody posted that spoiler on another thread, and I have never been more happy to have been spoiled in my life. I double-checked around to make sure it was true, then decided I'd loved the series to this point, and I would just pretend that it ended some completely different. Hopefully the anime actually will.

I found the authors take on relationships too interesting and the art too fascinating as to consider to drop the manga at any point.

At least the mangaka didn't try to please the fans (I have yet to find someone who is pleased by this ending (my initial response was the obligatory "What the shit?")) but instead tried to tell something.

Oh and the entire post time skip arc is told from Rin´s perspective.

Just because the author tried to tell something doesn't make it good. I know a ton of series where the author or writer tries to tell the audience something, but the point they are making is either badly told, or incredibly stupid, that the story would have been better off if the author had simply tried to tell a fun story.
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
NonoAsumy wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Zac wrote:

Yeah, somebody posted that spoiler on another thread, and I have never been more happy to have been spoiled in my life. I double-checked around to make sure it was true, then decided I'd loved the series to this point, and I would just pretend that it ended some completely different. Hopefully the anime actually will.

I found the authors take on relationships too interesting and the art too fascinating as to consider to drop the manga at any point.

At least the mangaka didn't try to please the fans (I have yet to find someone who is pleased by this ending (my initial response was the obligatory "What the shit?")) but instead tried to tell something.

Oh and the entire post time skip arc is told from Rin´s perspective.

Just because the author tried to tell something doesn't make it good. I know a ton of series where the author or writer tries to tell the audience something, but the point they are making is either badly told, or incredibly stupid, that the story would have been better off if the author had simply tried to tell a fun story.

Something was maybe an unfortunate expression

What I meant was that the author took a higher priority in telling a story than in pleasing the fans.

I perceived the ending as trading off realism against honesty which I like better or think is a higher achievement in story telling.
dengart

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Anyone wonder why a convention should be given non-profit status? The IRS says that a 501(c)(6) organization is "not to engage in a regular business of a kind ordinarily carried on for profit." (http://www.irs.gov/charities/nonprofits/article/0,,id=96107,00.html) Does a convention that charges $45 to $50 for a one day pass need to be given non-profit status?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
dengart wrote:
Anyone wonder why a convention should be given non-profit status?

No
dengart wrote:
Does a convention that charges $45 to $50 for a one day pass need to be given non-profit status?

Yes
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Zac, re: Usagi Drop not being creepy... we're all hoping the anime either ends at around volume 4, or goes with a different ending than the manga. Want to know why? Well... spoiler[after several volumes of realistic, touching drama about being a single dad, we get a time skip, Rin grows up, and they become a couple. Seriously. They get married. He winds up boning the little girl he raised. Yeah.] So I'm not so much looking forward to the anime as waiting to see what they decide to do with the manga.

I was not very happy with this spoiler (which has been posted all over ANN, FWIW) but I did make the decision to read it in a earlier thread so I'm not mad. That said, lets hope the anime, and even the live action, show decided not to go past the time jump in this Manga. The way the actual books ends sounds to me like a total cop out to what I've read is a manga that was fairly realistic up until that point spoiler[and just how the end plot twist is suppose to work under real Japanese law has me baffled - from every thing I've heard it is illigal, on top of being unrealistic to how real human guardian/child relationships work 99% of the time (total squik turn of events time)].
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
I'm in my late 30's and I've enjoyed Expo enough to make it there for the 3rd time. And hey I live in Nebraska. There's plenty of midwest cons that are a lot closer, but all but one has impressed me enough to even be a repeat attendee.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:32 am Reply with quote
Just to let the thread know, I totally have to check out Bunny Drop now... because of the spoilers. Wink
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:36 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Just to let the thread know, I totally have to check out Bunny Drop now... because of the spoilers. Wink

Same here with me. I wasn't planning on watching much from the Summer Season but now it seems like I will have to add another show to watch. I will also purchase the manga the next time a Yen Press sale comes around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranma824

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:23 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I will also purchase the manga the next time a Yen Press sale comes around.

If the anime messes with the manga ending, then I'll ignore the anime and get the manga. But if the production staff is awesome and follows the manga, then the anime will be all I need.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha, yesssss, Imaginarium music by Terry Scott Taylor.

I wonder how many other people recognized that (I see at least one other person did).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4