• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Sugar SmAX

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
I will also purchase the manga the next time a Yen Press sale comes around.

If the anime messes with the manga ending, then I'll ignore the anime and get the manga. But if the production staff is awesome and follows the manga, then the anime will be all I need.

Good for you and you're like of that type of storyline I guess.
Though I doubt they will follow through on the Manga ending, because from what I heard it's only like 12 episodes and 9 volumes of manga.

And I would point out, you are starting this series knowing the spoilers, and therefor can tell that this series is for you and your tastes. What about people who don't like this ending or style at all, and where fooled into it, thinking the series was about something else?
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for fielding my write-in question, Zac and guests. I haven't made it to a con since 2004's AX, but whenever I read a con report, I always hear anecdotal stories of "The director and scriptwriter of series X were there, and the number of attendees was so small they might as well have put all their chairs in a circle and had a go-around-the-ring Q&A discussion" (which I think would be awesome for those in attendance), while events like the masquerade and dub VA panels continue to pack rooms. So, even if it's not wholly true, there's definitely the impression out there that the guests attending anime conventions today have shifted their interest from the actual practice of animating and putting a show together, to "fan culture spawned from the show." That I keep getting that vibe is what prompted my question.

I want to say, though, that I always appreciated that Anime Expo put a strong emphasis on Japanese industry guests. At Anime Expo conventions, I met Koichi Chigira and Range Murata at the con where Last Exile made its debut (and a first-run trailer of what would eventually be Gankutsuou). I went to a packed, probably-unsafe-by-fire-code-standards panel for Nobuhiro Watsuki, the author of Rurouni Kenshin. And perhaps my most enjoyable AX memory is attending the panel by director Goro Taniguchi and scriptwriter Yosuke Kuroda where, instead of answering from the table, they took the mic and ran around the room fielding questions personally. I even got a picture with them afterward in a pose of shonen manliness. It was good times, and the reason I don't really consider attending most other cons is that having those actual industry guests there is what lights my interest. It's an enjoyable experience to learn what went into making something I like, and how certain decisions were made, and there's no substitute for a good Japanese industry guest - not even good music acts, even though buying a ticket for Kalafina would be a foregone conclusion.

But yeah...not all cons place the emphasis on Japanese guests that AX does, and maybe they're serving a different type of fan. I do hope that enough attendees value that kind of experience to keep AX bringing over first-rate guests, because I do plan to go again someday, and of course, I'd want to hit a bunch of panels from industry guests.

The really tricky part is not knowing if anyone you really want to see is a guest, but by the time the guest list solidifies, hotels are already completely booked.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I remember a Mushishi panel with the director a few years ago... it was really cool, and kinda deserted Confused

And you better let me know when that "someday" rolls around before it happens, or I will fly to CA and Kamina-punch you, ittoujuu.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4