• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Elfen Lied (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luminal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching Elfen Lied and I found this was one of the bloodiest and most disturbing animes I've ever seen. Incidentally, this is one of the best ones I've seen as well.

I loved how Kanbe makes it unclear all the way to the end whether diclonious are born as monsters or if they become monsters because they are treated as such.

And I also enjoyed the feeling of uneasiness you get whenever you see something beautiful because you know it won't last long and when it ends it will end abruptly and disastrously.

Great anime, I really recommend it.

Luminal
ryujin jakka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was a decent show, but nowere near a masterpeice. I thought it was too damn violent for my wn tastes, and the story was not really impressive. The charcters were not very good either. This is just my Opinon. it was not my cuup of tea.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't know. It certainly is very good, excellent, at some points. But the characters are rather weak and cliched (Damn the no-accent keyboard).

I don't find all the violence that disturbing -- it seems an expression with a meaning, and thus, I try to grasp the meaning instead of getting shocked all over -- but feel that it neither hampers the show or add to it too much. Sure, all the squash, crack, screams, boom, blood, etc. can get disturbing at times, it isn't something that comes right out of a Marquis de Sade book.

The story is fine, but nothing I'd say groundbreaking in either execution or premise.

Overall, I like it, and would recommend it, but wouldn't consider it the best thing ever.

Oh, and the boxset is beautiful. Cool
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I agree, it impressed me quite a bit with it's balance of both worlds the dark, violent horror atnosphere and the intellectual with the excellent characters, complex story, and wonderful visuals. It just pushed all the right buttons in my case I guess. I rated it Masterpiece too.
free2slap

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Elfen lied, Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal, Grave of the fireflies, Cowboy bebop, no matter how masterpiece they can be, i'll never find myself watching those anime. I hate getting all depressed over an anime and after what i experienced with "now and then, here and there i vowed that i wouldn't go back to those genres.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:11 pm Reply with quote
free2slap wrote:
Cowboy bebop
Bebop: depressing?

Pardon?

Was it the (by-now infamously spoilerish) ending that depressed you?

That and you'll probably find just about (almost!) every good anime having its share of angst and tear-jerking climax; few would reach the level of Now and Then, Here and There, though, or even comes close. Heck, even School Rumble gets intensely emotional at times. Very Happy

Last edited by Samurai-with-glasses on Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
UKfan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was one of the funniest comedy anime I had seen, then I realised it wasn't meant to be a comedy. It did get pretty somber and serious before it finished but I thought it managed to mix the comedy and drama pretty well.

Some of the funniest moments were spoiler[after Lucy chops of all Nana's limbs, then her leg drops off when she first meets Mayu and she's like "Oh, they do that sometimes" Also the part with Lucy and Kouta at the zoo when they were kids, that was hilarious "How did it's neck get sooo long!!".]

While spoiler[Lucy killing Kouta's family and the end with Kurama and Mariko] were really moving and emotional.
free2slap

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
free2slap wrote:
Cowboy bebop
Bebop: depressing?

Pardon?

Was it the (by-now infamously spoilerish) ending that depressed you?

Yea thank god someone told me. spoiler[I mean this is the first time i hear a main character who dies in the end]. If the "fullmetal alchemist" got me depressed then this anime is no exception.
Luminal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I really don't know why but I hated Cowboy Bebop. Maybe it was the fact that he has no ambitions, or maybe it was because he never made a move on Faye. Anyway, I was kinda glad when he spoiler[died].

Luminal
Luminal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:46 pm Reply with quote
free2slap wrote:
Elfen lied, Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal, Grave of the fireflies, Cowboy bebop, no matter how masterpiece they can be, i'll never find myself watching those anime. I hate getting all depressed over an anime and after what i experienced with "now and then, here and there i vowed that i wouldn't go back to those genres.

You may want to stay away from Air as well. That one is the saddest anime I've ever seen.

Luminal
Break

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Umm staying on topic I thought that it was great it had emotional parts that made you fell for the charcters and parts that made me chuckle. Of course I was dissappointed when I realized there were only thirteen episodes but I got over it. Very Happy
pyrex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to say, I also just finished watching Elfen Lied over the weekend, and I'm not sure I would put it in the Masterpiece category. However, it really was good for me on alot of diffrent levels. I guess being older than the majority of the crowd here, I tend to look for a deeper meaning in the anime I watch. And I think you can take alot away from Elfen Lied in that regard. Yes it was bloody at times, but also very deep emotionally, especially at the end.

I think if you look at it, there are many themes that surface(at least to me)...regret, remorse, saddness, but also redemption and hope. Atleast, thats what I took away from it. So, maybe not in my category as masterpiece, but very very good.

Now Cowboy Beebop on the other hand, if you watch all of the episodes, it without a doubt is one of the best told anime stories I've seen to date. So, I do consider it a masterpiece. And while some may interupt it diffrently, I think the last 2 episodes pretty much lend to outcome of the series.
opaquescum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I would not title it a masterpeice. I suppose if you haven't delved into this type of anime yet it might seem impressive. The series has its moments, but they are few. Not that they are not well done, but you do not want to watch a series just for a few poignant moments.

The mystery aspect is very shallow in that the conclusion is quite obvious early on, and to make matters worse information is dropped into the series that is at best redundant, or at worst meaningless. Often the net result is boredom, or you end up fealing cheated as elements are introduced to never be followed.

My fealing after watching the series was that it could have been done better. The story could have been much deeper, and actually gone in a few directions. Sticking so close to one plot line made the series feal rather empty. Especially if you saw the twist early on. Which wasn't all that hard it is pretty obvious.

I just had the fealing that it was a botched job. Glorious carnage, and a tragic story line really cannot cover that up. That being the case I cannot say it was a masterpeice that would require better work on all aspects.

Now if you want to look at some series that have real powerful story telling I would recommend the following. Try Gantz, RahXephon, Now and Then Here and There, Haibane Renmei, Gilgamesh. These series spin fantastic stories with good moral undertones. Plus in my oppinion the delivery in each though done diffferently is done flawlessly.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, the OVA adds a nice comdedic relief, I'll leave that for you all to watch. But I also rated this one Masterpiece as well, it's not as high on my list as Air or KGNE (Rumbling Hearts), but it does have its greater moments. There are some anime that you just have to watch to understand it, this is one of them, as well as some of the others I've watched. There's just some things that words cannot really describe very well, which is what truly makes an anime. I say go ahead and watch it, all animes have their depressing points (and technically this one does have a happy ending) but that's what most people want to watch. It's kinda like watching the news, more people turn it on to here about all the bad things that happened to others today, it's the same with anime, most people want to see what bad things happened to the characters.

Eh, I'll stop for now, got derailed again.
Satanachia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Elfen Lied was indeed a masterpiece IMO. Mostly because of the extreme violence but the background scenery was very well done, although it would be great if it was a longer series and the ending not a cliff-hanger. The OVA is good aswell, the first half is hilarious but the second is kinda spooky in a way. Too bad it is only out in Japan Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 15