• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release Dragon Ball Z Blu-ray Discs Again

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure Theron is thrilled about the possibility of reviewing this material again.

Last edited by penguintruth on Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Slayer151515

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I'll stick with kai, I don't require filler on Blu-ray.
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Really don't understand why Funimation feels the need to crop DBZ a different way every time they release it instead of just preserving the original aspect ratio. If someone wants to crop it into widescreen, they can do that with their TV remote.
redranger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Slayer151515 wrote:
I'll stick with kai, I don't require filler on Blu-ray.

This. Why anyone would want to watch DBZ's shitty filler is beyond me. There's still the matter of Kai's Buu saga being released though....
Redlinks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
TheGameNinja wrote:
Really don't understand why Funimation feels the need to crop DBZ a different way every time they release it instead of just preserving the original aspect ratio. If someone wants to crop it into widescreen, they can do that with their TV remote.

My thoughts exactly. I just dont understand why we have to fight with FUNimation with getting it in the correct aspect ratio. I wish they could release a widescreen version as well as an original fullscreen version but knowing them, we'll never see that happen since they clearly don't want the fans to see it in the way it was meant to be seen which is fullscreen. Sigh. Like with the orange brick sets, I'm definitely not supporting this release.
GhostOfSide3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm not even a fan of DBZ, but..

Why can't Funi release this the same way they treated Yu Yu Hakusho? Why cut away original video presentation from 4:3 to 16:9?

With Yu Yu Hakusho(and every anime released post-2000's) you get options to play in its original video presentation or 16:9 through TV settings. Why take away options?

I own Dragon Ball, but not DBZ. This isn't even an incentive for me to finally buy it, I'd rather buy the VHS tapes. The only way I'd buy Dragon Ball Z on bluray, is if they can include everything they can in an appealing, comprehensive release. All the dubs, not taking away video, including legitimate special features, or anything really.

-and on a somewhat related note, whats up with spending all that money re-releasing DBZ-related every year but no one's touched Sailor Moon for that nostalgia $$$? (I can only guess ADV Films still holds onto the license until it comes through Sentai someday.)

The 16:9 debate has risen from the ashes once again.
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
So basically, they're overusing DVNR, oversaturating the color palette and cropping the image into widescreen because they think we're stupid children.

FUNimation, I like you. I really do. Stop doing dumb shit like this and make a release of the show that doesn't suck monkey tail.
Panon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
As usual Funi region lock their trailers for some goddamn reason, but just the preview frame alone, the 'future' image looks much worse than the 'past' one.

Unless you for some reason you enjoy cropping, DNR and over saturated colors
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
TheGameNinja wrote:

↑This, a thousand times. I probably would have bought it had they not cropped it. And why no love for the original Dragonball? Why this obsession with Z?
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
TheGameNinja wrote:

↑This, a thousand times. I probably would have bought it had they not cropped it. And why no love for the original Dragonball? Why this obsession with Z?

DBZ is the show that is more popular and has greater nostalgia factor. The original Dragon Ball has less than half the popularity of Z.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Would prefer 4:3, but I'll get these anyway just to have the show on Blu-ray. I have no doubt FUNi will release the series again in the format.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
GhostOfSide3 wrote:
-and on a somewhat related note, whats up with spending all that money re-releasing DBZ-related every year but no one's touched Sailor Moon for that nostalgia $$$? (I can only guess ADV Films still holds onto the license until it comes through Sentai someday.)

It's probably more due to money reasons (expensive license) or Toei and/or Naoko Takeuchi not wanting it to be relicensed. ADV has been gone for several years now so they would have already lost the license.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blazingluke

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
They put out a survey back in june and it looks like they were aware of what some fans wanted (less DNR, more original aspect ratio), but the majority must have wanted it this way.

Too bad, they almost had a perfect release... Confused
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Funimation's incompetence when it comes to DBZ never ceases to amaze me. Really? They're going to crop the show AGAIN? They did a damn fine job on the Dragon Boxes. I'll stick with those.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
CCharmanderK wrote:
DBZ is the show that is more popular and has greater nostalgia factor. The original Dragon Ball has less than half the popularity of Z.

They already released the nostalgia version with that low quality disc set that apparently everyone was so clamoring for, why can't they release a set for people who actually want high quality and stop f'ing around with the BD by removing all of the grain and goddamn cropping it. The preview looks like a freaking mess, almost like a DVD upscale that's been more oversharpened than anything that came from a 1080p transfer. Disgusting.

The little grainy images that they show before their "superior cleanup" actually look a whole ton better, and they're trying to say "this is crap, you guys, grain, aspect ratio, and proper colors are for morons!"

Blazingluke wrote:
They put out a survey back in june and it looks like they were aware of what some fans wanted (less DNR, more original aspect ratio), but the majority must have wanted it this way.

Fans can be low-information idiots. If it were up to fans, all of the Disney feature animations would have been cropped to 16:9. No, you've got to aim higher than your lowest common denominator. 16:9 by itself does not mean high definition.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5