• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release Dragon Ball Z Blu-ray Discs Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tsukento

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:33 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Now people that love it in 16:9 have a product they can buy and enjoy.

I'm sorry, but what?

Pretty sure there's ALREADY a fully released and still very much available set of DVDs in 16:9 that people can "buy and enjoy."

DBZ in 16:9 is still available to purchase. DBZ in 4:3 is not, outside of importing Japanese DVDs or paying a pretty penny for the Dragon Boxes if you missed out on any of them.

You say it'll "look great for your TV" because it'll be 16:9 and are upset about Kai's releases being 4:3, but really? The broadcast/Japanese DVD release for Kai is not only (selectively) cropped, but also zoomed..

Broadcast

Blu-ray

Broadcast

Blu-ray

You ultimately lose more content than you gain. But either way, this is about DBZ and not Kai. So at the end of the day, we're going to be getting this hot mess. In HD. Yay. Neutral

BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:56 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I don't care about original aspect ratio. I've seen it in 16:9 and I wasn't missing anything and it looked great. You have dragon boxes and the Kai sets if you loathe DBZ in 16:9. Now people that love it in 16:9 have a product they can buy and enjoy. Why does this hurt your heart? Don't like, don't buy.

It wasn't originally made in 1080p and the whole point of remastering is altering the original content. This release isn't for you if alterations bring you to tears.
And it's because of people like you who don't care that much about quality that companies are allowed to keep doing crap like this. Releases with problems are allowed to keep coming out due to good sales. I'm looking at you Sentai BD's....

When you remaster a product, you're supposed to make it look better, not worse, and that's what FUNimation is doing yet again (You can't even tell it's cel-animated anymore...) because people like you will buy these up in droves. That mistake from 2007 which started this whole damn mess (Which BTW is a product for you, it's 16:9, unless you're talking about a release with no line removal) is STILL on the market and has sold millions, much to my dismay. And did I forget to mention that it spread like a virus to the UK and Australia? FUNi's release affected other regions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIa4GcraFtw
http://www.madman.com.au/series/view/5815/dragon-ball-z-remastered-toei

Is it so hard to ask for a complete 4:3 release of DBZ that isn't limited, while looking better than previous releases? Apparently so because nobody can tolerate grain and non-saturated colors, or knows they can get the exact same 16:9 result by using the zoom in feature on their TV, so everybody is forced to watch it like that.
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
LOL, how is it egregious? Just buy the dragon boxes or kai if you hate 16:9. This release is clearly for people that don't have an issue with 16:9. They sell a product that's 4:3. If you want that one, but that one. Stop crying that they've given the market options for people who want it in 4:3 and those who want it in 16:9. Clearly I want it in 16:9 but I'm not crying a river over the fact that they sell a 4:3 version.
I'm pretty sure the Dragon Boxes are going for quite a bit now. I'm super damn lucky to have them, but not everyone else is fortunate. Dragon Box 2 always goes for at least $300....

Then there's something else about the Dragon Box. As good as that release has, it's missing two things.

1. Correct colors. When the Dragon Boxes were done, the original film had aged, and many different colors had changed due to aging. For example, many people's skin became pinkish, and Bulma's hair became greenish, when her hair was originally blue.
2. The English BGM, if you want the BGM. Unfortunately the only complete release of DBZ out there with it is the Orange Bricks....

If the Level sets were completed, I could have had both of those things, and a product that looks better than the Dragon Boxes.

Also Kai is NOT the original show. Some people I've come across hate Kai because by removing the filler and doing other things, it just didn't feel like DBZ, and lost a bit of heart. If you want the original show, Kai sure as hell isn't it.

Not to mention DBZ Kai lacks the final arc of DBZ, the Buu Saga. There's a reason why people are jumping on that rumor that DBZ Kai Buu Saga is finally happening.
GhostOfSide3 wrote:
Primus wrote:

Frankly, I'm of the opinion that Funimation screwed themselves over with the Level sets. They had pretty much exploited the Dragon Ball fandom to the point of saturation:

Dragon Ball Z: Orange Bricks (DVD) - 2007 to 2009
Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box (DVD) - 2009 to 2011
Dragon Ball Z Kai (DVD/BD) - 2010 to present
Dragon Ball Z: Level Sets (BD) - 2011 to 2012

Don't forget only a few months ago they released this all-new Rock The Dragon Box including the Blue Ocean Dub just this year. By the time winter comes, they'll have released at least two versions of DBZ within the same year.

Don't forget about these Walmart exclusives (Walmart loves DBZ-exclusives. Double-Orange Brick sets and double-DBZ Kai DVD sets.).
http://www.walmart.com/ip/25983142
http://www.walmart.com/ip/25983140
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5