• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Oscar Schmoscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I guess it's mostly just uninvolved film buffs like you, Zac, and other critics who really abhor the Oscars and other award shows.

I love award shows. I watch most of them.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Quote:
An Oscar winner can get an extended theatrical release (or re-release) and bring in hundreds millions of dollars of additional revenue for the film.

Doesn't that fully explain why producers want to win?
Oh yes it does. This is a part of the air they breath, the food they eat, and fluid they drink. In short it's what they live for. If a producer isn't in it for the awards, they're not producers, they're artists. Wink
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Both Lilo and Stitch and Treasure Planet, actually. But I think Disney was aware that the critical momentum was with Spirited Away, so, in the end, that's what they focused their campaigning on just to ensure that Dreamworks wouldn't take the Oscar for... umm... Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron. Uh, did anyone actually think that Spirit would win for 2002? I sure didn't.

I remember Lilo and Stitch being well-liked during the release. How much more attention was paid to Spirited Away? Treasure Planet wouldn't have been a good movie to back. Judging by what it made, it didn't seem to garner much of an audience. Reception was lukewarm at best. I actually like parts of it, especially the music and some visuals. My enjoyment went down...down...down at some point while watching. Probably when Ben was introduced.

Spirit didn't stand a chance, even if it did make more than Treasure Planet.

Agent355 wrote:
It is a fun spectacle. It's also a great way to get publicity for lesser known films and documentaries. That's why I think the chance to be nominated is important for anime films, and why I asked the question (thanks for answering it!).

This is why primarily enjoy (film) award shows. Other than guessing which one will win, I like seeing films that are relatively unknown getting a nomination. If not a win, that is. Especially when it comes to documentaries showcasing social/ethical/etc. movements.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Justin, just for the record, age by itself does not preclude the enjoyment of anime. I've found it hard to get people interested in anime at any age.

It depends what kind of anime you put them through. But the same thing applies to classical western animation. Try to put someone a joe sixpack through Betty Boop or Fantasia. He or She won't make it through the end of the show.

Age certainly is a factor. And you have to remember "anime" is not something static that trascends time. So to say that someone likes anime doesn't make a lot of sense. It is very context dependent. Anime from the 30s and 40s is nothing like anime from the sixties, and anime from the seventies is very different thematically if nothing else from anime from the eighties. And so on and so forth. So you can certainly like certain periods in anime and not others. The themes, the characters, the techniques etc... all change with time so someone can like anime from the 90s because certain themes resonate much more with their own life experience and hate anime from the 00s because it simply doesn't resonate as much.

Something else, people grow up and sometimes they stop caring for anime. Being an anime fan for 20 years doesn't mean you'll end being an anime fan well into your fifties/sixties/seventies. Just say'in.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I disagree that the Oscars are not important. For an anime to win its a great way to gain recognition. Heck even a nomination promotes your film. This is why people care.

Now I don't necessarily think an Oscar win=quality and there have been many mistakes over the years. But right now the Oscar is the most well known awards show for film, so yes it does mean something.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
You guys do know that Funimation chose the 16x9 aspect ratio because of a survey right?

Granted, it was a survey that actually had visual guide to how cropping affects the image, but ultimately, this is clearly Funimation appealing to the philistines who need a filled up screen as the prevailing entries.

What I think everyone is really perplexed by is the "remastering" process they've done. Simply put, it's hideous. If anything, it's like they've hired those amateur simps who make their 2K REMASTERS on YouTube that are really just sourced from the orange brick DVDs. Hell, I'd wager the orange bricks actually look better than this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/2pimp4u/DBOX%20BLU-RAY%20COMPARISONS/BR1_zps437b012b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/2pimp4u/DBOX%20BLU-RAY%20COMPARISONS/BR3_zpsadaffe69.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/2pimp4u/DBOX%20BLU-RAY%20COMPARISONS/BR4_zps7202ee72.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/2pimp4u/DBOX%20BLU-RAY%20COMPARISONS/BR5_zpsb63fb568.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/2pimp4u/DBOX%20BLU-RAY%20COMPARISONS/BR6_zps5184c930.jpg
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why I care about the Oscars either, but I somehow do. The whole thing should've stopped being taken seriously back in the 40s when politics caused freakin' Citizen Kane to not win. And then, I'm pretty sure they references Citizen Kane as a winner anyway because everyone assumes it is.

But yeah, old white men explains a lot, such as why Wreck-It Ralph lost (newfangled video games! Bah!), but I hadn't even thought about the death aspect.

But I guess it's possible to just use the nominations list to find interesting things to watch (for me, it's just foreign and animated) as I honestly don't think I would've known about Secret of Kells unless it was nominated. They do seem to be getting a lot better with nominations for animated over the eyars though, where before, they'd just go with whatever made the most money (how in the hell did the Jimmy Neutron movie get nominated?)

But it's hard for me to not get happy when Christoph Waltz wins another award (did you see how many awards he took home for Inglorious Basterds? It's ridiculous!), or to see a movie I disliked but somehow got nominated totally ignored. I guess I am watching it for the political results, and to find something new to watch.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote
@Cptn_Taylor

I didn't say age wasn't a factor. Certainly age makes it harder to get people to consider anime. My point is that there is no upper age where you can say someone absolutely will not like anime. Around here at least, I've found that anime is a hard sell even for young people. And yes, on the forum here we have had people in their late 20s burn out and say they were quitting anime. It is a very individual thing.

I suppose I should point out that I've been heavily into anime for 16 years now. I started when I was 52.

@Classicalzawa
Careful what you say about "old white men".
insert name here

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Since Disney stuck Chris Sanders in a basement for seven years or so and killed his American Dog project, and since Eisner shut down the Florida unit that produced L&S not to much later it makes sense that Disney would neglect Lilo & Stitch as a contender during Oscar season. Probably some influence from Weinstein as well, who basically cracked the code on award season for a good ten year run or so.

As for the Oscars, the hoopla around that isn't much better than Joan Rivers' red carpet attire sniping or the people who tally up the grosses every Monday as far as critical distinction goes. But you know, I guess women get to have their annual TV ritual celebration of American decadence since men have the Super Bowl.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
But yeah, old white men explains a lot, such as why Wreck-It Ralph lost (newfangled video games! Bah!), but I hadn't even thought about the death aspect.

I don't believe Brave should have won either, but I'd have still chosen ParaNorman and Frankenweenie over Wreck-it Ralph. I seriously don't get the blind love for that film beyond "my nostalgia for old video games!" The second half was dreadful.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:

I don't believe Brave should have won either, but I'd have still chosen ParaNorman and Frankenweenie over Wreck-it Ralph. I seriously don't get the blind love for that film beyond "my nostalgia for old video games!" The second half was dreadful.

People just have a hard time separating the exhilaration of seeing their nerdy past time getting a spot in the limelight from what actually is needed to make a genuinely excellent movie.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who spends their spare timing gaming as well. Ralph was by no means a bad film, but it certainly is not the classic the gamers makes it out to be.

Just my two cents.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
zawa: Wreck-It Ralph failed because it had video game in-jokes. Though if it makes you feel better, I'm still pissed that Otomo's Combustible wasn't nominated for Best Short.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't believe Brave should have won either, but I'd have still chosen ParaNorman and Frankenweenie over Wreck-it Ralph.

I'd put Ralph and ParaNorman on the same level, both above Frankenweenie. That movie had an excellent first act that slowly slid into a huge mess (though an entertaining one at least). All three were better than Brave, though.

As for the love I have for Ralph, it's really less that it's all about video games, and more that Disney has actually succeeded in infusing a "hyperactive CGI family comedy" with their winning charm and heart. Considering their last attempt at doing so was Chicken Little, that's really impressive.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I would've been perfectly fine if Paranorman had won it too, that was a damn good movie. Kind of anything but Brave should've won, but clearly that movie appeals to old white men more than the other movies did.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

as a real, albeit vaguely subjective, contest about picking the best movies of the year. And it's just not true. They are a cynical, political, money and power-soaked marketing institution that is incredibly effective at both raising up its own, ...

I agree with the Answerman and everybody on Oscars awards. I wouldn't surprise if there are bribery going on. Some maybe legal similar to big corporations donate money lawmakers.

Example:
California Teachers Association donate millions to CA Gov. Jerry Brown. Brown rejected a bill on firing bad teachers in California.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5