• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Oscar Schmoscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReverseTitan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
@TonyChopper No offense, but could you please fix up your English? People in the Netherlands have a higher percentage of people with English knowledge than Canada, so even if it isn't your first language, understand the fact that more people speak English on a population percentage basis than they do in Canada. I'd like to agree with you to a small degree, but if I can't read what you say, I can't do that. Thanks for reading.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
ReverseTitan wrote:
@TonyChopper No offense, but could you please fix up your English?
should be better now
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What Japanese collectors want in a video presentation is more in line with what American anime fans want: the original picture, as created, with as little mucked around with as possible.

But then, there's those Q-TEC upscales....

Quote:
If you couldn't tell, I am dancing a very fine line here because I have heard SO many off-the-record allegations about Media Blasters over the years that I am having a very hard time figuring out what I can write about them publicly and what I can't. Much of what we've heard over the years has never become printable.

Just going to leave this here at random. It's totally not about Media Blasters or anything though, no...
https://twitter.com/ANN_Ed/status/297416535432101888
https://twitter.com/ANN_Ed/status/297417904658472960
https://twitter.com/ANN_Ed/status/297418102612844544
https://twitter.com/ANN_Ed/status/297425575079968768
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Thinking of Media Blasters I got hold of that Godzilla Vs Megalon DVD extras that was never release

Last edited by AnimenexuS on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
ihate4kids

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
AnimenexuS wrote:
I like to see the Academy Award hosted by Squirrels
I thought it already was?

Those were muskrats, ya idiot.
Meleemasta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why would Aniplex attempt to get the third Madoka Magica movie nominated, but Funimation skip out on a chance to let Wolf Children go for the gold?

Did this get answered? I'm curious too. Why go through the trouble of trying to get, of all movies, THE THIRD MADOKA MAGICA movie nominated? Like that would have a chance in hell...
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
^ It's pretty much the worst possible choice you could think of. No matter how well animated and written the movie is, it's still the third in a trilogy.

I doubt Aniplex knows what its doing.

I still think it's a shame about Wolf Children.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
ihate4kids wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
AnimenexuS wrote:
I like to see the Academy Award hosted by Squirrels
I thought it already was?

Those were muskrats, ya idiot.
Now, now, be nice. Muskrats are rodents too. Wink
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
It's just a shame that Blu-Rays can't do anamorphic video and have to be encoded at 1920x1080 regardless of the underlying content's format. If those pillarboxing bars could be added "soft" (like the letterboxing when you play anamorphic widescreen DVDs on a 4:3 TV), then the purists could have their 4:3 image. After all, the ignorant normals who freak out over neutral black bars of nothingness probably already have their TVs set on "stretch everything" mode anyway.

Another route could involve dual-sided Blu-Rays with fullscreen on one side and widescreen on the other, but I'm sure that would be prohibitively expensive. Also, it runs the risk of the ignorant normals failing to read packaging/disc labels and freaking out because they mistakenly played the fullscreen side.

(Seriously, nobody reads anymore. I was running viewing rooms at a convention last weekend, and still had people poking their heads in and saying "I have no idea what this is," despite the presence of schedules and content summaries posted next to the doors Evil or Very Mad )
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
ActionJacksin wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
But yeah, old white men explains a lot, such as why Wreck-It Ralph lost (newfangled video games! Bah!), but I hadn't even thought about the death aspect.

I don't believe Brave should have won either, but I'd have still chosen ParaNorman and Frankenweenie over Wreck-it Ralph. I seriously don't get the blind love for that film beyond "my nostalgia for old video games!" The second half was dreadful.

People just have a hard time separating the exhilaration of seeing their nerdy past time getting a spot in the limelight from what actually is needed to make a genuinely excellent movie.

Heck, there are people who can't see past 3DCG that something could genuinely be an excellent movie.

TonyTonyChopper wrote:

Good answers this time, going through it i just kept thinking that many people in the west are so dumb and ignorant
They don't wanna try out anything they don't know, They act like if something is made in hollywood it's the most godlike thing ever even though a year later almost everyone has forgotten it and so on.

But many people are like that. Heck, anime fans don't want to try something new. People always complain about the lack of appreciation for 2D animation in awards lately, but then Secret of Kells which is 2D got nominated yet they didn't want to try it even though they're one of the complainers.

TonyTonyChopper wrote:

On the other side you have Asia and especially Japan which do have many awesome things, many people have never even heard about just because they don't know/aren't exposed to it/cultural differences bullshit/just watch stuff to talk about it with other pepole/find it weird

There a lot of stuff in the West that are awesome things that many people have never even heard about too.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
By the way, The Secret of Kells is on Hulu.

Hulu, The Secret of Kells:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/337397

Funimation might not be in as strong a financial position as they were when they tried with Summer Wars. Also, the fact they didn't get a nomination with Summer Wars might have made them more reluctant to try with Wolf Children. I thought Funimation made a reasonable decision to try for a nomination with Summer Wars, seeing that The Secret of Kells had been nominated the year before, but when the number of nominations that year turned out to be 3 instead of 5 because there were 15 candidates instead of 16, I think they no longer had a chance.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:42 am Reply with quote
Meleemasta wrote:
Quote:
Why would Aniplex attempt to get the third Madoka Magica movie nominated, but Funimation skip out on a chance to let Wolf Children go for the gold?

Did this get answered? I'm curious too. Why go through the trouble of trying to get, of all movies, THE THIRD MADOKA MAGICA movie nominated? Like that would have a chance in hell...

Since you used all caps, guess that means you don't like PMMM. I haven't seen the third movie, but based on what came before, I am glad they nominated it. The third Madoka Magica movie, is the first one that is not a recap movie. So hopefully, it stands on its own.

I saw Wolf Children at Otakon. It was a very nice movie. Funimation either thought it wasn't worth their effort or they just didn't have the means to give it a serious push forward at this time.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
I loved the Madoka anime, haven't seen the movies yet.

But by any meaningful definition, a sequel can not stand on its own. So how can the second sequel in a trilogy stand on its own? Would someone who had not seen the first two movies or the original TV series understand it?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote
Meleemasta wrote:
Quote:

That's easy. They need something to reject in order to show the winner was apart of a fair choice at least. It is Hollywood after all. Wink
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
j Talbain wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
If I may be so bold, allow me to present the tl;dr versions:

1. DBZ brings money. Funimation wants money. Funimation releases DBZ as many times as possible.

2.Media Blasters may be on the ropes, but they are not out yet. They are also very secretive.

3.The Oscars are a joke, and don't really represent the best of anything, other then best marketing campaign.

How did I do?

Hit nail on head.

that is a definite understatement for number 1 and 2.

Funi is gonna milk out FBZ as much as it can , especially now that the Battle of the Gods Movie is out which is the first new dragon ball movie in decades.

Also media blaster have a nasty habit of giving out very sudden surprises. that was apparant when they started releasing some of their series sub only.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5