• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Keepin' It Neil

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackpariah

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
"Carl, you don't know Japanese!" is now going to be my internal monologue whenever I'm talking to someone who is not listening to reason or is in complete denial.

Awesome episode, by the way.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
blackpariah wrote:
"Carl, you don't know Japanese!" is now going to be my internal monologue whenever I'm talking to someone who is not listening to reason or is in complete denial.

Awesome episode, by the way.

That's what happens when you get a big head I say, though I still enjoyed what Carl was able to do at all for his time.
mbanu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:49 am Reply with quote
I got the impression that the fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants sort of mentality that Mr. Maddox had wasn't too different than the sort that the early anime importers had -- in older ANNCast interviews, it seems like it was suggested that early anime importing was about young guys bullshitting their way into licenses and funding and then going from there... I guess if anything, it reminds us all that anime's cowboy days are over.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote
mbanu wrote:
I got the impression that the fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants sort of mentality that Mr. Maddox had wasn't too different than the sort that the early anime importers had -- in older ANNCast interviews, it seems like it was suggested that early anime importing was about young guys bullshitting their way into licenses and funding and then going from there... I guess if anything, it reminds us all that anime's cowboy days are over.

I suppose that's one way to put it.
docsane

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
mbanu wrote:

Well, hold on there. Who exactly do you think bullshitted their way to a license? Maybe in the Jim Terry days of Force 5, but Books Nippon was a Japanese book importer who wanted to start a video label. Robotech grew out of Carl Macek's being in the right place at the right time to consult for Harmony Gold after they licensed Macross. Animeigo happened because Robert Woodhead was a fan who had contacts in Japan thanks to the success of the Wizardry videogame. Central Park Media was started by an ex-Sony exec who jumped on the anime bandwagon because he saw a rising interest in the product.

The there was David Norell with Star Anime Enterprises, but that was more a case of annoying your way to a license...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3