Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion 3.0 to Screen in U.S., Canada in January 2014




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DRWii



Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 401

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they'll say which theaters have which audio track.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
pureevil4



Joined: 08 Aug 2013
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they'll move quickly to the bd release, since it'll be cheaper for me to do that than to make any sort of arrangements to visit a screening.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kyogissun



Joined: 17 Aug 2007
Posts: 676

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
You know guys, had this been announced say... LAST winter, to happen a few weeks after it had been shown in japan, this would be more effective.

Anyone who had been dying to see the movie has, at this point, already seen it. I'll be buying the Blu-Ray for the extras and commentary and dub but honestly, this feels too little too late.

They need to be more on top of this like Aniplex was with Rebellion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DRWii



Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 401

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
pureevil4 wrote:
Hopefully they'll move quickly to the bd release

If this is like Funi's release of the the second movie, it'll probably be out in February or March.

Kyogissun wrote:
You know guys, had this been announced say... LAST winter, to happen a few weeks after it had been shown in japan, this would be more effective.

Anyone who had been dying to see the movie has, at this point, already seen it. I'll be buying the Blu-Ray for the extras and commentary and dub but honestly, this feels too little too late.

They need to be more on top of this like Aniplex was with Rebellion.

So just because we've already seen it means we wouldn't go? I've already seen it 5 times, and have every intention of seeing it in theaters (assuming there's a close enough showing, of course.)

Besides, Funi probably didn't even have the license that close to the Japanese showings, so there's no way we'd have seen it last winter; "Madoka" is the exception to theatrical runs of anime in America, not the rule.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Xaxtly



Joined: 16 Jul 2011
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
This was way overdue as above stated.
Yes people will go see it out of respect but this was so overdue it was really ridiculous
I'm still mad about 2.2 not being released properly either
there is obviously a market here and to treat us so second handedly is a very foolish thing to do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StudioToledo



Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Posts: 788
Location: Toledo, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:13 am Reply with quote
Xaxtly wrote:
This was way overdue as above stated.
Yes people will go see it out of respect but this was so overdue it was really ridiculous
I'm still mad about 2.2 not being released properly either
there is obviously a market here and to treat us so second handedly is a very foolish thing to do.

I stopped caring long ago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ambimunch



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 1141

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
pureevil4 wrote:
Hopefully they'll move quickly to the bd release, since it'll be cheaper for me to do that than to make any sort of arrangements to visit a screening.


Well 2.0 came to theaters in NA in Jan 2011 and its DVD/BD release was on March 29th that year. Since 3.0 is also playing in select theaters in Jan, expect a mid spring release to home media
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ashen Phoenix



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1627

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
pureevil4 wrote:
Hopefully they'll move quickly to the bd release, since it'll be cheaper for me to do that than to make any sort of arrangements to visit a screening.

You read my mind, mate. Gaah. Wish I'd gotten a BD player before I bought the first Rebuild DVD. Oh well, still looks excellent. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
gatotsu911



Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 438
Location: US of East Coast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
What's this? Penguintruth hasn't yet popped in to this thread to whine about the movie/dub and V hasn't shown up to tell everyone how they should watch Eva. It's like I'm not even in an ANN Evangelion comments section.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kyogissun



Joined: 17 Aug 2007
Posts: 676

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:01 am Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
pureevil4 wrote:
Hopefully they'll move quickly to the bd release

If this is like Funi's release of the the second movie, it'll probably be out in February or March.

Kyogissun wrote:
You know guys, had this been announced say... LAST winter, to happen a few weeks after it had been shown in japan, this would be more effective.

Anyone who had been dying to see the movie has, at this point, already seen it. I'll be buying the Blu-Ray for the extras and commentary and dub but honestly, this feels too little too late.

They need to be more on top of this like Aniplex was with Rebellion.

So just because we've already seen it means we wouldn't go? I've already seen it 5 times, and have every intention of seeing it in theaters (assuming there's a close enough showing, of course.)

Besides, Funi probably didn't even have the license that close to the Japanese showings, so there's no way we'd have seen it last winter; "Madoka" is the exception to theatrical runs of anime in America, not the rule.


Did I say that people shouldn't or wouldn't go? No, but those of us who are in the mentality of 'I GOTTA SEE IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE' (Like most seeing the madoka film) are lost customers at this point.

Look, I'm not here to crap on them for doing a good thing but this day and age there are people who are willing to put up with waiting... To a degree. And I get that it's not like they have DIRECT licensing connections with GAINAX like Aniplex does with... Their properties. But to do this theatrical showing of, lets be clear, 3.0 and NOT 3.33 is just... confusing for anything beyond being a marketing decision.

I'm still going to buy the 3.33 BD because I want that dub but... I would have gone to a screening of this had it been prior to a Blu-Ray release somewhere else. Since people have their ways of getting on things and myself being one of those people, I have scratched that itch of 'seeing it as soon as feasibly possible' and Funimation most assuredly has lost out on the potential profit of cashing in on that crowd.

It's why I brought up Madoka. The way those movies are handled SHOULD be the standard. If these companies want to see a proper profit (Or at least make some money back for the states versus making NOTHING and LOSING money on people pirating the movie by watching subs) they'll attempt to replicate the speediness of release in the states.

Bandai Entertainment did it in the past and I swear other companies I can't name off the top of my head have done it as well and with Aniplex attempting to push this 'Give it to the US consumer as soon as possible standard' as of late, albeit with a somewhat steep price tag, at least they're making as much profit as possible by making sure they strike before they lose out on the early adopters/need to see it ASAP consumers.

tl;dr Funimation missed potential ticket sales for Eva 3.0 by not doing a quicker release. That's ALL I wanted to say. There's no harm in me objectively stating it's too little too late. I still plan to support them but now I can't support them to the extent I would have preferred, getting tickets to see a japanese subtitled theatrical release and then buying the dubbed BD release later on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GhostShell
Collector ExtraordinaireCollector Extraordinaire


Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Posts: 1004
Location: Richmond, B.C., Canada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote
Saw the first two films in the theatre when Funimation released them prior to the home video release, and I also bought their BD versions. Will also be doing the same thing (theatre and BD) for 3.0.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TJ_Kat



Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 249
Location: Saskatoon, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:16 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Anyone who had been dying to see the movie has, at this point, already seen it.


And some of us who have been "dying to see the movie" have been avoiding it like the plague while patiently waiting for the theater run. Just because you don't have the patience to wait, doesn't mean no one else does. I am quite looking forward to watching it for the first time in theater.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Rearisen



Joined: 18 Nov 2013
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
First post, had to comment on how much of love Evangelion and can't wait for the theater showing of 3.0. I've been following this show when it just came out and have been stalking it ever since. Look foreword to talking with you guys.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group