• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ace of Bakes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:45 am Reply with quote
Personally, I am surprised the Blood-C movie got a good review. Personally, I thought it dragged on, introduced like 6 pointless characters (including a goth-loli hacker who types with her toes to hack faster) , shoehorns in useless cameos, and the action scenes were just so empty while trying to hard to be cool. gore for the sake of gore, blood for the sake of blood (no how matter how much blood they lose it doesn't affect anyone) and strange use of cgi. I felt dumber after watching it. That's just my opinion though/
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:08 am Reply with quote
I LOVE the Blood-C series and personally thought it was genius. So ironically, I felt almost let down by the movie's ending because it really didn't feel like it amounted to much. But then I realized--part of the controversy with the series was that it had an ending that most people never expected, or apparently wanted. For me, it turned out to be the same deal with the movie, which means that both incarnations had endings that nobody really predicted--which is actually a feat unto itself. And if you followed past Blood: The Last Vampire stories, it's true to Saya's usual plight. After realizing that, I finally came around to the movie and thought it great for many reasons, most of the same as Bamboo.

I found it surprising how remarkably less bloody and violent than it was compared to the show, when it's usually the other way around. It's easy to notice that while the show was visually light but dark in tone, this movie was actually visually darker but lighter in tone. It helps that this time around Saya had actual friends who were willing to fight for and beside her.

If I had just one personal nitpick is that although Clamp wrote the story, I wish it was more standalone and didn't crossover with another Clamp title, least of all XXXHolic. Then again, it's not Yuko that makes an appearance (always hated her), so it's not a real biggie.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:36 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I seriously hope Taka gets very well paid to have his art style applied to something this bad.
Pretty much everything that has Tony Taka art is pretty much garbage, and I'd say his art is a pretty good fit. He's not good at drawing characters that don't look exactly the same, especially if they're female, and the anatomy in a lot of his character designs is pretty off.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:26 am Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
I seriously hope Taka gets very well paid to have his art style applied to something this bad.
Pretty much everything that has Tony Taka art is pretty much garbage, and I'd say his art is a pretty good fit. He's not good at drawing characters that don't look exactly the same, especially if they're female, and the anatomy in a lot of his character designs is pretty off.

[insult removed]

Looks at name of website, ANIMEnewsnetwork. ANIME. Anime, a form of animation most noted for anything but anatomical correctness, ie LARGE eyes taking up half of the face, etc.

And for the record, although not as popular in the US, the Shining Series is pretty popular in Japan, and the games tend to be pretty good.

But whateves man.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
.....Because of the nature of the show, there is no suspense, there is no story, there is no drama.

Yeah, I really don't buy this argument (in fact, I kind of despise it). As far as I am concerned, the daily lives and adventures of the girls is the the plot......that is the story. A plot/story doesn't have to have a defined endgame, "ultimate goal", or a "big bad enemy" to defeat in order to be considered a plot/story.

Quote:
He's not good at drawing characters that don't look exactly the same, especially if they're female, and the anatomy in a lot of his character designs is pretty off.

Guess you have never seen FAULT!......... Rolling Eyes
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

I was not familiar with Tony Taka and when I checked his encyclopedia page I saw that I had never seen anything that was listed there, but then I found his work on Danbooru and some doujinshi sites that I cannot mention here and I really like it.
There was certainly nothing wrong with the anatomy of any of the girls that I saw and they definitely did not all look the same.

I am glad that I read this thread so that I was able to discover Tony Taka. Right now he is probably my second favorite character designer, with Satoshi Urushihara being first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
So, no Stream this season? I don't want to be a whiner, but I can't help but feel a bit disappointed (I just really love your reviews, Bamboo!)

Does anyone actually bake bread in Shining Hearts? Y'know, knead dough, wait for it to rise, shape it and bake it? Because if not, that's especially lame. (Reading @ann_Bamboo's tweets re:Shining Hearts was hilarious!) Laughing
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
Quote:
.....Because of the nature of the show, there is no suspense, there is no story, there is no drama.

Yeah, I really don't buy this argument (in fact, I kind of despise it). As far as I am concerned, the daily lives and adventures of the girls is the the plot......that is the story. A plot/story doesn't have to have a defined endgame, "ultimate goal", or a "big bad enemy" to defeat in order to be considered a plot/story.

Look at it the other way. There really isn't a plot in most slice-of-life shows... there's no overarching problem/climax/resolution.

That's the point, though; it's not a problem with the show unless your view is "I didn't want to watch a slice of life show". In which case... "doctor, it hurts when I do this." "don't do that, then."

"Nothing really happens, but in a really good way." - Sayaka Ohara, on Aria

lots of people wrote:
Why is there crossover stuff happening in Blood-C?"

Because it's Clamp. Crossovers and cameos in a Clamp show are only slightly more likely than death and taxes.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
Shiratori1 wrote:
Quote:

Look at it the other way. There really isn't a plot in most slice-of-life shows... there's no overarching problem/climax/resolution.

I think that it depends on what a "story" is.
A slice-of-life show will not have one continuous story, but it can have a story in each episode. If a drama series is analogous to a novel then a slice-of-life show is a collection of short stories.

I have not seen the show in the article and I am basing my statement on shows that I have seen. Some of my favorites are K-On!, Lucky Star, and Hidamari Sketch. They all have a lot of stories in them.
I consider Mushi Shi to be a slice-of-life show. Even if you disagree with that I still think that it does not have a continuous story but it does have many good stories in it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Mikeski wrote:

I think that it depends on what a "story" is.
A slice-of-life show will not have one continuous story, but it can have a story in each episode. If a drama series is analogous to a novel then a slice-of-life show is a collection of short stories.

...which is why I had that "overarching" in there. Cool

On another site, I saw a description of a plot/storyline as "what do the characters want, why can't they have it, and why does the audience care?"

For most slice-of-life shows, that's "to go about their ordinary lives (i.e. they don't really want anything they don't already have)", "they can have it", and "because we like spending time with the characters". That's not really a "plot". But it is still an excellent reason to watch those sorts of shows if you like them. I like it when "nothing happens in a good way." Smile

Most episodes of HidaSketch, for example, are "girls go to school, girls have dinner together, Yuno reflects on her day." There's no conflict or resolution there, nothing for the characters to overcome, and there certainly isn't an overarching story (the episodes aren't even in chronological order.) Once in a while there's a tiny bit of conflict within an episode (can Yuno finish her assignment on time?), but it's rare.
Touma wrote:
I have not seen the show in the article and I am basing my statement on shows that I have seen. Some of my favorites are K-On!, Lucky Star, and Hidamari Sketch. They all have a lot of stories in them.
I consider Mushi Shi to be a slice-of-life show. Even if you disagree with that I still think that it does not have a continuous story but it does have many good stories in it.

Mushi-shi certainly has a plot per episode, so while it's sort of "slice of life" in narrative style, it's also something else (in this case, a story of man-against-nature conflict.)

If you define plot/story down far enough, everything has a plot. "Why did the chicken cross the road/to get to the other side" has a plot. It even implies conflict and resolution! ...but I doubt it's what most people mean when they say "plot". Likewise for pure slice-of-life shows.

...which kind of describes the problem with Happy Bread; it's mostly slice-of-life with some conflict tacked on at the end. Neither camp gets the show they want.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Shining Hearts probably won't matter to anyone here since we never got the game in the first place anyway. And even then, judging by this review, they did something seriously wrong. I understand that giving bread to others is part of increasing people's affection for the hero and accessing their powers in battles, but to emphasize the bread over the main story? Just why?
Msag

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Omg... can we all just remember this week's column of Shelf Life as having one of Bamboo's BEST reviews ever?! Anime hyper That Shining Hearts review had me laughing throughout. Plus I loved all the food imagery you used... but... Rick's buns, and swordsman vs. baker... oh lord! *collapses in laughter*

(just realized... this is a spin-off of Shining the game??! Like, Shining Force and shizz? Aww man, I love those games. Bummer that it has such bogus anime :/)
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
"Slice of Life" is so overused. Mushishi isn't a slice of anyone's life, it's a series of episodic, fantastical, morality tales (morality as in "the stories have a theme and a point to make," not "good vs. evil").

I like the criteria you supposed for plot, and I'd suggest that it makes the term "slice of life" irrelevant to many anime often described as such:

Silver Spoon is a comedy about a boy's first year at an agricultural school.

Watamote is a comedy about a girl struggling to overcome her severe social anxiety disorder and become popular during her first year of high school.

Most "slice of life" shows are just anime sitcoms, really. Seinfeld was a show about nothing, but nobody called it slice of life.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Wait... what? How can the Blood-C movie be any good when the series was such complete garbage? Dammit, Bamboo, your review is making me want to check it out now and I vowed to myself that I wouldn't bother.

I still regret my decision of ever attempting to watch Shining Hearts. It was so bad.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Yuru Yuri Premium Edition is on its way to my doorstep right now, gotta support these great & extensive releases Very Happy !
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5