• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Newsweek on Youtube and Haruhi Suzumiya

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emory

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:04 pm Reply with quote
How much longer til YouTube shortens the length to 3 minutes? Or hires people to screen videos?
T0FFe3m@n

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quote
This is what happens when cool sites like Youtube get too popular. A good thing never lasts, and i fear this may go down the same route.. Sad
Bahamut God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:16 pm Reply with quote
...When those two employs are done ruining youtube (well, I guess it's arguable who is ruining youtube) one has to wonder where their attention will be placed next.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Bahamut God wrote:
...When those two employs are done ruining youtube (well, I guess it's arguable who is ruining youtube) one has to wonder where their attention will be placed next.

My guess would be whatever other website is hurting their profit margin...

People upload entire TV episodes chopped up into short chunks, and the result is that viewers can go watch the episode on Youtube instead of on Fuji TV. So Fuji TV has fewer viewers and makes less money from its ads...

I love being able to watch anime online, but I can't blame the rights holders for trying to protect their profit margin. I;d prfer it if they gave us a legit online aternative (streaming, ad supported episodes), so that instead of going to Youtube, fans could go to www.haruhi.tv and watch a full episode there...

-t
Pleroma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
People upload entire TV episodes chopped up into short chunks

Actually people have allready figured out how to upload entire episodes in a single file. I love Youtube and I doubt Fugi's 2 guys have much of an effect as dozens of other people constantly re-upload the same files.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:37 pm Reply with quote
TBS is doing the same thing. All of the clips of Utaban were removed a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure what other shows from TBS were removed.

And I've also heard that Space Shower TV is requesting the removal of Japanese music videos with their logo on it.

So this isn't something just one station is doing. It's evidentally a pretty widespread practice now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
Actually people have allready figured out how to upload entire episodes in a single file.

Ahh, wasn't aware of that.

Quote:
I love Youtube and I doubt Fugi's 2 guys have much of an effect as dozens of other people constantly re-upload the same files.

Unfortunately you're absolutely correct. Several people I have spoken to at various companies have complained that episodes go right back up after they take them down.

This is actually bad for Youtube, as the article says, "something is going to have to give." Sooner or later someone will make enough of a case that Youtube isn't doing enough to limit piracy, and it may go the way of Napster.

Youtube is, IMHO, in an even more risky situation that Napster. Napster only kept a list of files that it's users had, Youtube hosts the files...

Hopefully Youtube will find a way to continue to provide its service, while keeping people from uploading wholesale pirated videos. I think Youtube is great for all those viral videos, as well as pesonal vidoes, and brief clips of broadcast items... I'd hate to see it go the way of Napster...

-t
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
TBS is doing the same thing. All of the clips of Utaban were removed a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure what other shows from TBS were removed.

Yeah, my account was suspended for uploading Utaban and Space Shower clips.

=(

They also banned my other account that had videos of me volunteering at the zoo. weird. i think they just block the email.
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:54 pm Reply with quote
And while Japan is worrying about youtube.com, people from other countries are still uploading torrents of fansubs and selling Hong Kong bootlegs yet Japan hasn't stopped them yet, especially the whole Hong Kong bootleg problem that's been going on for ages and then there's still Google Video....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Ban any Anime or TV show related clip over three or five minutes or so. This won't fix the problem in its entirety but I can see this dissuading people from continuing to upload entire episodes.

(ban words such as Naruto, Haruhi Suzumiya, One Piece, whatever else is obviously popular, because chances are whatevers being uploaded is a copyright violation anyway).
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
And while Japan is worrying about youtube.com, people from other countries are still uploading torrents of fansubs and selling Hong Kong bootlegs yet Japan hasn't stopped them yet, especially the whole Hong Kong bootleg problem that's been going on for ages and then there's still Google Video....

The main problem Japan has with trying to do anything about the Hong Kong bootlegs is the fact that the bootlegging industry in Hong Kong IS an industry. There is such an enormous system in place for bootleging that it can't be stopped easily no matter how much effort they put in. Basically, unless the government in Hong Kong does a major (i.e. expensive and time-consuming) crack down, the Hong Kong bootleg empire will never fall.

YouTube is an easy target. It would probably be very easy for someone to completely eliminate YouTube with a major lawsuit or diminish it to unimportance like what happened with Napster.

Google Video might not be on their radar yet.

To be honest, I admire the Japanese restraint in all of these situations. If I were in charge of a company and someone was pirating my products, I'd use every tool at my disposal to destroy that group. To paraphrase classic military literature, I'd make a desert and call it peace.

Of course, that restraint is slowly fading to black rage.
RubberSoul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's pretty neat. It's amazing how far we've come. A Japanese person can laugh at and appreciate a parody of Haruhi that someone made in the US. I think this is awesome. Of course, this popularity will come at a price if they start removing parody clips. Still, this is pretty neat.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I've seen only popular titles taken down liek Detective Conan and Melancholy, Naruto and rarely anything such as Kanon. Kimi ga Nozomu was taken down for a while but that was because someone flagged it as innapropriate. I don't really see how much 2 people could do but I'm surprised at their restraint and it looks like they only went after a few uploaders and left other ones alone, there are hundreds of melancholy uploaders so I'm guessing Fuji TV will either escalate the matter or just leave it alone, the latter being my predicition.

I can understand episodes being taken down but why the japanese music videos like Crystal Kay and Ayumi Hamasaki? We don't really have a way to see these artists in America and the more publicity these artists get I think would benefit them. Bonnie Pink's music video for Perfect Sky on Youtube was popular and brought alot of American fans for her, but luckily other JPOP artists' videos remain and they are getting a good amount of hits!
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:47 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
I can understand episodes being taken down but why the japanese music videos like Crystal Kay and Ayumi Hamasaki. We don't really have a way to see these artists in America and the more publicity these artists get I think would benefit them. Bonnie Pink's music video for Perfect Sky on Youtube was popular and brought alot of American fans for her, but luckily other JPOP artists' videos remain and they are getting a good amount of hits!

Very true. I, for one, spend much of my time on Youtube searching music videos for my favorite J-Pop/Rock/Hip-Hop artisits (such as AKFG, Home Made Kazoku, and UVERworld). It's also true that they now upload full episodes into one file. I just hope Fuji TV can get a significant amount of these bastards illegally uploading all of their anime onto the database. Then hopefully they can go after torrent seeders and HK bootleggers like Kouji said.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised that YouTube was in Japan. I guess it's all over the world (mabey it's because of the sucess of the site). I normally come to YouTube for music videos, amvs, parodies, fandubs, home-videos, and clips I've never got to see on TV.

One thing that surprised me is that there are copyright owners who are registered on YouTube (Paris Hilton, Rockstar Games, G4, etc.) So anything companies upload on YouTube they own the copyright to. The other YouTube users who upload stuff they don't have rights to will get sued by the companies. I think TV Tokyo should have a YouTube account.

However, I still like watching cartoon clips on YouTube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7