• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
D.Gray-man cancelled?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Jump Square removed the series from it lineup due to Hoshino's health. Couldn't find the actual source though
Zerowalker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
Where they going to continue?
If so that´s very sad, that they can´t that is:(
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:33 am Reply with quote
It's not the first time Hoshino takes a break due to health, but what surprises me is that even after DGM's hiatus started, she still drew that cool one-shot with the handsome dude that was... OK, I don't really remember, but it definitely came out months after the last DGM chapter.

Tbh, even if I'm up to date with the manga, the whole spoiler[Allen/Noah/14th and the reveals about Mana and the 14th's past have me completely lost]. I find it more confusing that Tsubasa, which should say something.

Latest chapters have also become shorter and shorter, almost reaching the average length of weekly manga (17-21 pages) which meant it took AGES for anything to happen, whilst not much was really happening. spoiler[The search for Allen, compared to, say, the search for General Cross early in the series, is insanely fast paced. It took Allen and co. 10 volumes to find Cross (and one could argue, Cross found them instead), whereas Kanda and Dork-dude-whatshisface found Allen in merely a handful of chapters]. What I mean is that the series used to have a relatively slow pace, with everything being stretched to its maximum possible, whereas now everything is happening so quickly and so little gets explained, I literally have no clue ofspoiler[ where Allen stands right now in respect to the Order, the Noah and the Earl]

All of this had led me to believe that Hoshino wanted to finish the series asap, for whatever the reasons, so I was surprised when she took yet another break without giving any explanation. At this point I don't even care if she finishes the manga or not (I've almost given up on it, much like NANA), but she teased about spoiler[Kanda (who is to blame for my inclination towards men with dark hair tied up in high ponytails) becoming a general] and then poof, stops drawing altogether.

If it's a health problem I hope she can recover from it soon, DGM had such a great story and characters I would hate for it to just sink into oblivion (which it's been doing), and Hoshino is a very talented artist, I'd love to see her doing other stuff in the future. And if she's just tired of DGM or something, I wish at least she'd draw spoiler[Kanda becoming a General] and let me die happy already. This is torture.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I believe I saw a pretty official looking source for this somewhere, it did not seem like just a rumour. Made me very sad, I really do love the manga and it's characters, even though it has been so unreliable and things have got a bit confusing after the heartbreaking Alma Karma story arc ended. Also, where did Lavi and Lenalee disappear to, weren't they part of the main group for years?

Valid points of criticism aside, I still always felt Hoshino had a plan where things would go and end for her characters. It took years for spoiler[Kanda] to find the person he was looking for (which was mentioned on his and Allen's very first mission), and vague indications of the spoiler[Noah/14th business with Allen] could, retrospectively, be found early on as well if one wanted to see interpret things in certain ways. I would really feel let down if, after staying and suffering with these characters for so long, we would never get know their journey's end. I have my doubts if, after being dropped (if we assume this to be true), Hoshino will continue elsewhere. I would, rather deperately, even settle for a brief synopsis at this point. With a full page of spoiler[Kanda] as general, included in the package, naturally.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
It's not the first time Hoshino takes a break due to health, but what surprises me is that even after DGM's hiatus started, she still drew that cool one-shot with the handsome dude that was... OK, I don't really remember, but it definitely came out months after the last DGM chapter.

Remember alot of mangaka drew many spare One-shots. She could drew it long time ago.
mierin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Looks like Jump Square removed the series from it lineup due to Hoshino's health. Couldn't find the actual source though

Could it be just a rumor? Tried searching through Google using Japanese keywords but that turned up nothing.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
Also, where did Lavi and Lenalee disappear to, weren't they part of the main group for years?

IIRC

Lavi and Bookman spoiler[were kidnapped by the Noah shortly after the Alma Karma thing, I don't recall hearing anything about them for eons]

Lenalee spoiler[should still be at the Order's HQ. When Kanda returned I remember he met up with her and Marie before taking off after Allen. Since the story has focused on the Search for Allen for a while, Lenalee is not part of the picture]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1