• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Evangelion Movies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:26 am Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
Gainax should consider animating Evangelion Re-Take. Re-Take is probably even better than whatever the 4 movies will be about. In my mind, Re-Take is the TRUE ending to EVA, regardless of the fact that Gainax had nothing to do with it. It really is the best thing to happen to Evangelion in many years, IMO.

Adapting RE-Take would indeed be an astonishingly good move, because it manages to keep the feel of the original series, stay true to Anno's original characters, and tell a great post-Impact endstory.

BTW, since I'm sure a bajillion people will read these RE-Take questions and be all "WTF?" RT is a doujinshi that starts roughly two seconds after Asuka's final lines in the EoE movie, with Shinji seemingly realizing how he can truly make himself happy and what he needs to do with his last few seconds Second Impact, and the fallout fom that last, desperate decision. That's the spoiler-free version. If you find it, read it ASAP (but be aware that some portions of it are adult-only).

But I wonder if this is going to impact the plans for an Evangelion live action series? I still love the series (partially because unlike many, I haven't felt the need to buy every last version of it and instead only get stuff like the mangas when it's a truly different experience of the show) but I wonder what sort of impact this wil have on those plans. Drive up interest? Doesn't seem likely, at least outside of Japan where only the really hardcore will be aware of this. Raise money for advancing the project? Equally unlikely, as the price for new animation and talent (especially if it is as lavish as the original movies) is going to be very high.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Newtype also mentions that viewers will not need to have already seen previous Evangelion material in order to understand and enjoy the new movies.

So, so what does this mean? I find it hard to fit in a story, but good luck trying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:49 am Reply with quote
dokool wrote:
I can honestly say that I'm speechless. I bought the Original box set, the Platinum volumes individually, the movies individually, the R2 version of EoE Renewal, and will probably buy the R1 EoE renewal as well. Evangelion is one of if not my only favorite series of all time, and it was the series that officially hooked me into anime.

But... four movies? That's a stretch.

Hahahahahaha, good stuff... and people still wonder why they make and re-release more? Because it sells Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jacut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:13 am Reply with quote
I totally agree with Gooku Hooku. I hope that this rumour will remain a rumour, at best a bad joke, and we’ll never see a sequel/prequel/new ending of EVA. The End Of Evangelion was far too much for me, as it didn’t respect the atmosphere and the ending of the original series (no one can imitate Anno…), I watched it out of boredom mostly, and it didn’t improve the script, the characters or anything in the TV series, and I don’t see the necessity of these four new movies, just like I can’t agree on Top O Nerae II as a fan of Gunbuster. For me, EVA will remain EVA, and its only true ending will remain that of the series.

I even wonder how Anno can be a part of this new project, it's just too sad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Crescent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:59 am Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
The End Of Evangelion was far too much for me, as it didn’t respect the atmosphere and the ending of the original series (no one can imitate Anno…)

Well, you do have to remember... Although who the hell knows how much of EoE's ending was what was originally invisioned, SOME of it was indeed intended as the original ending to the TV series. (The Ep 25 preview in the original Japanese broadcast of episode 24 depicted a storyboard/animatic of EVA-02 fighting the mass-produced Eva Series like it did in EoE. So I, atleast personally, really don't see any controversy in the "Ran out of money?" TV series 25-26 scenario ^^; )

And as for the new movies... I guess I'll wait and see. I'm both excited and hesitant... Hard to imagine where they're planning to fit in 4 movies worth of original story into the Eva universe, especially since one supposidely doesn't have to be familar with the TV series in order to understand the new movies...
Spikemcruffy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:22 am Reply with quote
jj

Last edited by Spikemcruffy on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
sakuharu23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:42 am Reply with quote
Eva prequel actually sounds nice. Yes, this is a milk attempt, but giving Eva some more clarity would be nice. The sequel just confuses me. spoiler[Everyone's DEAD! Minus Asuka and Shinji. It's not much fun with just those two. I'm not interested in Hentai, either.]

Also, reguarding the art for the poster, don't the characters look weird? The eyes are rounder and bigger and the hair looks funky. Especially Shinji's. The Eva animators are getting rusty on the Sadaamoto style.
dpgc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:09 am Reply with quote
I think one thing that ppls loves to watch EVA tend to ignore is the show is about Shinji, the wimp boy , his struggle to accept ppls, to trust ppls, to accept the harsh reality of the world. You guys probably dont know but when EVA was made, a lot of teenagers in Japan are like Shinji, an otaku that refuse to meet ppls and trust ppls.And the reason why ppls are so depress or antisocial has to do with Japan's environment, parents expects their kidz to get into a good highschool, university and etc. They were under this pressure ever since they were born. When Anno made this show, his audience was directed to thsoe otaku antisocial teenagers, and even Anno said it himself, if he knew this show would of gone to oversea, he probably would have choose a differen religion to depict the theme.

When I talked to my American freind, they tend to say stuff like Asuka is hot and Rei is my goddess, and when they talk about Shiniji, they usualyl say stuff like i woudl of kill myself if i was ever like him. i recently showed Evangelion to a freind of mine who is a major in philosphy, he said he liked it a lot and even he said the show is not for everyone. The ending of the original TV series and EOE is what made the show so great. For ppls that says the ending is weird and fuxkup, I suggest you should watch it carefully. BTW i am not some crazy eva fans, I only watched EVA 2 times.

PS. the translation of the news is wrong. I studied Japanese for 7 years. They are not making a prequel. The first 3 movies is going to based on the original EVA with a lot of new artwork and new info. And the 4th movie will be entire new stuff. So dont expect a prequel which happens before EVA, is not going to happened. Try to think of the first 3 movies as the new Zeta Gundam trilogy, but with a lot of new artwork and info.
nagashi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:01 am Reply with quote
Did anyone catch the releaes format of the movies? are all 4 going through theatrical release, or are we going to see them come out as movie-length ovas?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:45 am Reply with quote
I really hope that the people in this topic complaining how Eva is being milked aren't the same people who complain that both the TV ending and movie ending are too confusing. I see this not only as more Eva goodness, but to clear up more questions that everyone still has. Opinions and speculations were fun but I think seeing these questions answered finally will be even more exciting.
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:15 am Reply with quote
sakuharu23 wrote:
Eva prequel actually sounds nice. Yes, this is a milk attempt, but giving Eva some more clarity would be nice. The sequel just confuses me. spoiler[Everyone's DEAD! Minus Asuka and Shinji. It's not much fun with just those two. ]
Thank you so much for ruining End Of Evangelion for me. I really wanted to read that spoiler (sarcasm). In any case, this doesn't strike me as surprising. It was bound to happen sooner or later. I mean, ADV is planning on producing a live-action NGE (sometime in the future), after all. I've never seen NGE (hence why spoiler tabs would be appreciated) but I say to save your judgements about this until it's been released. It's unfair, not to mention retarded, to bash a movie that hasn't even been released yet just because it's a sequel. Note to self and others: not all sequels suck.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
appleturbo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:23 am Reply with quote
I can't wait to see the 8 different remastered DVD's that will no doubt come out.

and the extra movie that will no doubt have to come out to try to finish the ending that really doesn't end it.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:39 am Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
I totally agree with Gooku Hooku. I hope that this rumour will remain a rumour, at best a bad joke, and we’ll never see a sequel/prequel/new ending of EVA.

While it's possible that the project will get canned, I guarantee you that at this point it is not a rumour.

-t
SamusekTDS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:57 am Reply with quote
I'm really ambivalent about this - my inner fanboy is hyper-hyper-freaking out and leaping for joy at the very idea, but my jaded outer shell formed by 3 crappy star wars prequels and matrix : revolutions is afraid they're just milking it for all its worth, and that there's nothing really left to add after the stunningly phenomenal "End of Eva" (which if you STILL haven't seen... shame on you!!).

So, as I see it :

#1 pro - End of Evangelion was the best anime movie capping off the best anime series of all time
#1 con - End of Evangelion was the best anime movie capping off the best anime series of all time

Bottom line: I'm HELLA looking forward to them, gonna RUSH to see them all, but if they suck it'll be Star Wars all over again... (ie: ultimately a huuuuge mistake)
---
Sam.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:15 am Reply with quote
SamusekTDS wrote:

Bottom line: I'm HELLA looking forward to them, gonna RUSH to see them all, but if they suck it'll be Star Wars all over again... (ie: ultimately a huuuuge mistake)
---
Sam.

You mean it will make a crapload a money while taking in a generation of much younger viewers despite the all the internet whining (they will need new material after Transformers), while not good as the original millions and millions will still have fun adding funny words to thier vocabulary like "Mace Windu" and "Dooku."???!!!

Well bring on the suck!!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6