• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Evangelion Movies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cortanaMT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Hidenori Matsubara will be leading the animation team as well.

Let's not forget that Hayashibara just came out of retirement again, too. Might as well grab her for it while she can still belt out Rei noises. [/url]
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

That's what bothers me so much. Anno really doesn't seem like the type to milk something like this, especially when it may end up contradicting the anime and its purpose that he himself had such a large hand in. People are going to bust in and say that people like money, etc., etc., and already have, but I'd like to think this guy, who had stated many certain "things" over the years, would be different.

Which is why I'm so perplexed as to what he's doing, if he's really doing it. Depending what comes out of this whole thing, he could end up looking like a gigantic hypocrite. But I can't really make any assumptions until I see what it's all about, and less likely the circumstances surrounding this project.

I agree with you, thought EVA has been milked ( which kept a great studio alive, and got fans what they wanted.. well some fans ... ) it doesn't mean that Anno's work wont be a nice title, thought i rather see him write scenario for a new project, but i'll be looking forward for this one too, I am absloutly deligted to hear Anno is writing a scenario! love his works!
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Hate to bring this up but...

ICv2 and Anime News Service (9/6/2006 6:46PM EDT) both said that the movies are a "remake".
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Wow, Anno is almost as greedy as Lucas.

only if he's going back and adding 3d crap to the old eva series.......unless..he DID! did he?
Danno19

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I am pumped. =)
redline

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
dpgc wrote:

PS. the translation of the news is wrong. I studied Japanese for 7 years. They are not making a prequel.

Right. "zenben" should be translated as "first part".
Fireline

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
PLEASE LET EVA DIE ALREADY

This classic series gets worse with every new release. Please.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Fireline wrote:
PLEASE LET EVA DIE ALREADY

This classic series gets worse with every new release. Please.

Oh yes. Cleaning up all of the video footage for the Platinum release made it SO HORRIBLE ARGH!
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
Plotwise, I'd love for some things to be clarified, such as why SEELE and Gendou duke it out when they're both spoiler[fighting for the exact same fate]

That's a common misconception. While Gendo might not be entirely adverse to the concept, his reasons are vastly different and his ultimate survival is the intended outcome.

spoiler[Gendo's ultimate objective is the recorporation of Yui, who will stay with him forever as Shinji wishes for a loving family. To that end, he has done everything possible to driv e his son towards desiring her return, via emotional abuse. The problems come in the form of everyone else, who drive him past wanting someone who will love him unconditionally into severe self-loathing, and he "wishes" that he is just left alone. The person left at the end of the movie is not Asuka (look closely), but his secret wish for the three people he desires: Misato, Rei (2), and obviously Asuka. Beyond this, describing things starts getting hazy and open to wildly differing interpretation. Such as this one: However, Asuka maintains her hatred of his weaknesses, and so he is doomed ultimately to a life of further self-loathing. He suggestion that she "feels sick" is A comment on realizing that she is stuck with (and was saved by) the person she hates most.]
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Strategos wrote:
Am I the only one that doesn't care if a product is being "milked" if the quality is still excellent? If these movies are actually quite good, than the whiners will need to shut up. And if they aren't, than don't buy them perhaps? I for one am looking forward to them being released in the US.

Agreed. What matters to me is if the movies are enjoyable, I don't care if they released one bit of merchandise, or millions of merchandise, or if the boxsets were released hundreds of times. The impression I'm getting from some posts is "Those greedy people, how DARE they try to make money".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bluepita

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I may be in the minority here, but I do hope this remake does not come witha happier, more hopeful ending. Did anyone find anything happy or hopeful about the series? To me, if an optimistic ending were tacked on, I would find it so out of character with the series that I would wonder if the final creator even saw the show. If they are going to do a remake and add new material, it should stick with the atmoshpere of the original. To do otherwise would be similar to throwing a dark, depressing, whiny ending to a comedic anime like Azumanga Daioh.

Here's hoping AD doesn't have an ending like that, since I haven't seen the final yet. Embarassed It was the only straight comedy I could think of off the top of my head.
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote
BrianRuh wrote:
I should probably be more cynical than this, but I'm thoroughly excited. I'm very pleased to see that Tsurumaki is directing, too.

I second the motion.

I as well feel like I should be saying "something" negative or doubful, but I'm actually pretty excited to see that We're getting official new Eva material.

Anno writing/directing it sealed the deal. If it were anyone else, this thread would be 1001 posts long of all of us screaming our heads off.

A new work from Anno.....I was wondering when we'd see anything from him again. After getting married, I was afraid Anno had gone soft and lost his insane edge, due to the attention of a good woman at his side.

Only time shall tell. Does Marriage and happiness ruin an artist?
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
What?! This is almost hard to believe! Four new movies! This is so exciting! It's the Evangelion revival!
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
-blink- -blink-

Holy crap. That's like adding new chapters to the Bible! I really didn't expect this. Mind you, Evangelion became like a second religion to me in highschool. (Actually, I still think it's a better religion than, oh, say, Scientology.) Evangelion was possibly the biggest fandom personally I got into.

Yet I thought things were officially done with it. I was even happy with that. I thought all that was left was endless merchendising and countless fan continuations and parodies.

Now it seems Anno and Gainax has more official story to tell. Well, hell, count me in.
animalia555

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the translation of the news is wrong. I studied Japanese for 7 years. They are not making a prequel. The first 3 movies is going to based on the original EVA with a lot of new artwork and new info. And the 4th movie will be entire new stuff. So don't expect a prequel which happens before EVA, is not going to happened. Try to think of the first 3 movies as the new Zeta Gundam trilogy, but with a lot of new artwork and info.
Oh God, I hope that is not the case!! The last thing we need is another Evagelion compilation film/remake. however if these films really are all original this is good news.

Last edited by animalia555 on Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6