• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What was your first manga?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
MixxZine #1. Rainbow coloured pages, weird PC game ads, and strange mix of Nakayoshi magical girl manga with ultraviolent Parasite and IceBlade. Got Super Manga Blast 1 around the same time, forget which was first...
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
My first manga was the adaptation of s-CRY-ed. I bought the first volume in June of 2003 because my friends were so keen on the anime. I never read any more after that. I think that I still have that old volume lurking somewhere, although I have no intention of trying to scrounge the rest of the volumes up. I bought the first volume of Berserk some time a few years later, but it annoyed me, so I never bothered with more.

In a symbolic sense, my first manga was Osamu Tezuka's Ayako, which I read in September of 2011. That was the first manga that I'd ever finished, which was simplified by it all being in one volume, and I've continued to buy and read manga since.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
donbeiwest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
My first one was Raika Days. An international exchange student from Japan showed me it. I couldn't understand Japanese at all at that time, but I could understand the story. I was also impressed by the level of drawing.
Torotaya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I believe the very first manga series I read was InuYasha. I honestly don't remember exactly how old I was when I started reading InuYasha, but I know I was young-ish. :/
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote
Hm... I thought I posted here...

Well the first manga I ever read was... Konjiki no Gash Bell, otherwise known as Zatch Bell(though I like using the original name for some reason) I suppose that aside from the fact that I would constatly watch cartoons beforehand, this was why certian overly goofy or bizzare scenes in anime or manga never really bothered me.

in a indirect sense, I think I read one of the pokemon adventure manga volumes as a kid but quickly lost it.
thenix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I really can't remember anymore. I think I might of picked up and read Dragon Ball first but the first manga I bought was probably Sailor Moon Stars 1&2. I liked DBZ and wanted to know what happened in Dragon Ball that I missed, and I also like Sailor Moon but they never released the Stars Season in english.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote
thenix wrote:
I really can't remember anymore. I think I might of picked up and read Dragon Ball first but the first manga I bought was probably Sailor Moon Stars 1&2. I liked DBZ and wanted to know what happened in Dragon Ball that I missed, and I also like Sailor Moon but they never released the Stars Season in english.

...Kodansha is releasing it in May! Volume 11 is the start of Stars. You should check it out!

(I'm sorry, I've been on our Twitter and tumblr all day, I can't shut off the salesperson in me. Anime hyper)
maggiedroid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
it was either sugo chara! or astro boy, i cant remember which one i read first
thenix

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:15 am Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
thenix wrote:

...Kodansha is releasing it in May! Volume 11 is the start of Stars. You should check it out!

(I'm sorry, I've been on our Twitter and tumblr all day, I can't shut off the salesperson in me. Anime hyper)

You work with Kodansha? I don't mind, sell me all you want. I like getting hyped. And I did sell my original copies so i don't have any of the series anymore Smile
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
thenix wrote:
ZepysGirl wrote:
thenix wrote:

You work with Kodansha? I don't mind, sell me all you want. I like getting hyped. And I did sell my original copies so i don't have any of the series anymore Smile

Yeah, I'm an intern here this semester. In addition to other intern-duties, I basically run all of our social media stuff, since the other guys are hard at work, y'know, making the actual books. Anime hyper

The new editions are really great! And I say this as a fan. They have a new translation, color pages, and overall they're just a better product than the old Tokyopop books. Amazon's got the first boxset (vol. 1-6) up for $37, which is a steal. It even has stickers! Oh, but if you just want to read the Stars arc, then that's just volumes 11 and 12. Smile
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
My first manga was Junjo Romantica which was brought for me by a friend for my birthday.

It took me many years later to buy my first manga which was Claymore volume 1 as I naively - at the time - just watched anime. I had completed the anime and thought that the ending was very anticlimactic.

Now I only watch an anime if it was not originally a manga e.i. Eureka Seven and Eva.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kookykonata

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:44 am Reply with quote
The first manga I had ever read would technically have to be the 4th volume of Real Bout High School, which I borrowed from a friend back in 10th grade. I thought that it was ok at the time, but I loved the fact that you read it in reverse, and thought I would give it a shot. This was actually what got me into anime, and I asked my mom if I could go to the bookstore to look for these types of books, and bought the first manga I had ever owned, the first two volumes of Pita-Ten.
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote
I was randomly checking books on a bookstore.....

So I stumbled upon Pastel........

So yeah It is Pastel. Then I got curious..... So I read it....to be honest it's because I saw a half naked lady there. Curiosity.....
TJF588

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:02 am Reply with quote
I'd wager the first (flipped, and censored) volume of The Electric Tale of Pikachu. Still think that "PM" logo is kickin'.[/i]
Ghost«OF»Snake

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
My First was manga was HunterXHunter, after the the End of First Anime 1999 Adaptation, I felt compiled to Read the Manga, Although the Art was a Low at times, but at his (Togashi) best days he was Great.

The Original Story definitely is one of the best Shounen Manga's, i enjoyed reading it allot, Unfortunatelyspoiler[ it's on Hiatus now and i don't think it will return (Hopefully it will).]

Basically i read Shounen Manga (they're My type). Arrow
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 29