• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
False quote from ADV?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Since the actual quote on the DVD appears to be fabricated what they should have said is "Gainax's best work since Mahoromatic."
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Since the actual quote on the DVD appears to be fabricated what they should have said is "Gainax's best work since Mahoromatic."

I'd change that to "Gainax's best work since Petite Princess Yucie." I love that show, even though it isn't popular.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
ChrisBeveridge wrote:
You're more than welcome to come over to my forums and go on at length. Contrary to popular opinion, most reviewers do want to get feedback on their stuff. I've never closed a thread that's been critical of my work as long as it's done in a constructive manner.

That said, if you start one here, it'll likely get closed. ANN has a similar policy to ours in that if you want to give grief about another site, do it on that site. We don't allow ANN bashing threads on AoD and the reverse has been pretty true as well though I'm sure the staff here can speak for that.

Hope to hear from you on my site.

It doesn't take a genius to see that ANN is a bit closer to an objective location than your own home turf. Although I have no problem bringing my views to your front doorstep I would have still preferred you at least feign a mild acknowledgement that your own site is hardly the most objective place to vent about the site owner's reviews. Besides, it's not as if you wouldn't have been able to respond here. That being said... [EDIT: updated link because AoD changed their forum setup, and using their forum search is an exercise in futility. ~Zalis]
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
ChrisBeveridge wrote:
You're more than welcome to come over to my forums and go on at length. Contrary to popular opinion, most reviewers do want to get feedback on their stuff. I've never closed a thread that's been critical of my work as long as it's done in a constructive manner.

That said, if you start one here, it'll likely get closed. ANN has a similar policy to ours in that if you want to give grief about another site, do it on that site. We don't allow ANN bashing threads on AoD and the reverse has been pretty true as well though I'm sure the staff here can speak for that.

Hope to hear from you on my site.

It doesn't take a genius to see that ANN is a bit closer to an objective location than your own home turf. Although I have no problem bringing my views to your front doorstep I would have still preferred you at least feign a mild acknowledgement that your own site is hardly the most objective place to vent about the site owner's reviews. Besides, it's not as if you wouldn't have been able to respond here. That being said...

Actually, I'm pretty sure if the thread derailed any further into this particular discussion it would be closed off or split-locked for being off-topic. Hence the desire to move it. Thank you for doing so however.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Well it's obvious that we all have our own opinions. We each place a different priority on what we feel are the most important things. For example I think few people would agree with me that Mahoromatic is Gainax's greatest achievement and FLCL is an anime that never should have been made. But hey that's my opinion and I feel I should be free to express it. Gainax is a great animation production company, and I have been a fan of them for a long time. I just started watching TUYBW, and I am enjoying it, not just from the fact that it resembles Mahoromatic. Each anime I watch no matter how similar it is to another show, is a unique and enjoyable experience for me. But yeah this topic has been derailed, however I think the original question will never have a clear answer since it's a kind of provocative subject and its intent could be interpreted different ways (no offense Zalis).
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Even if the thread was never 'derailed' I'm doubting that we'd ever get much of an answer on how and why this happened, regardless of how it came about. My guess is that ADV either got sloppy or simply fudged the facts, but I could be wrong about that. Maybe they got it from the magazine?

Past wrote:
Mahoromatic is Gainax's greatest acheivement and FLCL is an anime that never should have been made.

I'm right there with you on that one.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:43 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I just started watching TUYBW, and I am enjoying it, not just from the fact that it resembles Mahoromatic. Each anime I watch no matter how similar it is to another show, is a unique and enjoyable experience for me. But yeah this topic has been derailed, however I think the original question will never have a clear answer since it's a kind of provocative subject and its intent could be interpreted different ways (no offense Zalis).
None taken, and if I had gotten out of bed before 4:30 (PM Shocked)today, I might have gotten that second disc for you Embarassed
Although "What is Gainax's greatest anime since Eva?" wasn't my original question, I'd agree that it's hard to answer. Although I liked Mahoromatic as well, I'd say that MSA: Abenobashi is another strong contender. While it goes a bit overboard with fanservice sometimes, you can't accuse it of mixing disparate genra, since it's a comedy to begin with. There's a lot of smart parody (along with some that's less subtle), and various/experimental animation styles. The main characters are memorable and actually show some development from beginning to end. And, in contrast to many other controversial Gainax endings, Abenobashi's ending is conclusive and understandable. There were even a few touching moments mixed in with the comedy (which demonstrate the Excel Saga ep. 24 effect of such scenes being more powerful by comparison when placed in a comedy), such as episode 7 and the final episode. That's my opinion on the question that I never asked in the original post.
As for the quote issue, maybe our best hope is that Key will clarify it in connection with the review of Vol. 2 (which I assume is forthcoming, at some point in time). I just felt like it was worth calling ADV out on this matter (even though they probably don't scan these forums too closely and I'd be better off posting it at AoD, etc.) After spending awhile in academia and the research world, I know that fabricating quotes from supposed sources would put me in trouble, if they were to find out.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:25 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:

Past wrote:
Mahoromatic is Gainax's greatest acheivement and FLCL is an anime that never should have been made.

I'm right there with you on that one.

Wow, really? Cool.

Zalis116 wrote:
Although I liked Mahoromatic as well, I'd say that MSA: Abenobashi is another strong contender. While it goes a bit overboard with fanservice sometimes, you can't accuse it of mixing disparate genra, since it's a comedy to begin with.

Both of those are pretty heavy on the fanservice, I'd be hard pressed to say which one had more. Which is part of the reason we all love Gainax.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:39 am Reply with quote
This reminds me of the "...One of the Greatest Adventure Movies of All Time" -Steven Spielberg quote on the newly rereleased Castle of Cagliostro. I remember first seeing this quote back in the old Baycon 87 (or was it 1988) convention guide book and have looked for almost 20 years for this quote's source. Is Manga quoting the convention guide, or did they find out where this quote originated? Does anyone know of an interview or article that can confirm Spielberg actually said this??
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:38 am Reply with quote
I'm going to have to bust it up, but Mahoromatic Vol. 1 annoyed me to the point to where I have no desire whatsoever to finish it.
I thought that FLCL was entertainingly awesome in all respects.
And This Ugly Yet Beautiful World has a very big chance of becoming one of my personal favorites (the conclusion will decide this).
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:19 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
I'm going to have to bust it up, but Mahoromatic Vol. 1 annoyed me to the point to where I have no desire whatsoever to finish it.
I thought that FLCL was entertainingly awesome in all respects.
And This Ugly Yet Beautiful World has a very big chance of becoming one of my personal favorites (the conclusion will decide this).

That's too bad about Mahoromatic, as its first season finishes very, very strong.

If you've liked TUYBW that much so far then the conclusion is unlikely to disappoint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:12 am Reply with quote
So what exactly is the stance of ANN about the falsefied quote? Inquiring minds wanna know.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:08 am Reply with quote
Dunno. But now that I've finished vol. 1 of This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, I'm rather annoyed with Bamboo's [less than] mixed review of it in her Shelf Life column. There were some great tenderhearted moments in the show, and I don't see where all the overused cliches that she's talking about are. The parts of it that I watched dubbed were very well done, and there were some great one-liners by the ultra talented Hilary Haag. I can't wait for volume 2. Mahoromatic may now be faced with a strong contender for my all-time favorite Gainax series.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I agree with you about the Shelf-Life review, calling it "emo" was far, far too harsh.

Vol.2 of TUYBW was pretty awesome. It starts a pretty dark turn by episode 7, true purposes are revealed and things heat-up quite a bit between the characters (mainly between Hikari, Mari, and Takeru).

Oh, and does Ryoe remind anyone else of Kawarou from NGE?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2