• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most annoying dub job

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone encountered a dub job that was so terrible you wanted to tear your ears off. I just watched the comic party revolution 1 ep in dub today. It was ear numbing. I had the same reaction to the hentai countdown to delight recently and 10 tokyo warriors which didn't appeal to any of my senses. What your bad dub experience?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Anything from ADV or the FUNimation dub of DBZ are at the bottom of the pits for me. I can't stand ADV's sound quality because of their artificial 5.1 tracks, and I just never really liked their actors since I first heard the Evangelion dub way back.

DBZ's dub, while Ocean is just as guilty for the script changes and edits, is nothing but bad imitations. When FUNi came around with their own dubbing, it was obvious they were trying to "recreate" the sound of the old voices, but it was pretty terrible since they were fairly new to voice acting in general. I'll take established veterans like Drummond, McNeil, Cole, and the rest of Ocean over Sabat playing half of the cast any day.
sykosteve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:37 pm Reply with quote
lol...As a so called elitist when it comes to subbing, I actually appreciate the dub jobs that Funi has done on some of the DBZ movies...particularly 7 with that redneck android Anime hyper i was laughing so hard.

But dubs I can't stand? I sampled maybe a couple minutes of Crest in the Stars, and it was absolutely horrid. I don't know what it was but maybe they were trying to hard to match the mouth flap and it just sounded like monotone reading.

I really don't watch anime on tv too much nor do i do anything more than sample the dub track on dvds i own, so my experience with dubs is very very limited.

oh oh, I hated the kenshin dubs as well. they made kenshin sound far too manly Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Peacemaker......I don't know if because I hate that anime in general, but the dub is just horrid. All I know is that there something off about having a very heavy Texas accent in a series that suppose to take place in Japanese history...not enough extras on set or what?
Mint Mania IIDX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Clearly none of you have watched Princess Minerva.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, there's Macross: Do You Remember Love?, but that's because it was by Japanese voice actors still learning the English language.

Then there are a vast majority of titles dubbed by Manga Video UK. Dangaioh is marred by atrocious voice acting and excessive profanity. Mad Bull 34 suffers from British accents, especially since the title takes place in NY.

ADV's first dub of Neon Genesis Evangelion was atrocious. I've read that the new dub on the Platinum edition is a huge improvement, but I have yet to pick up the DVDs.

Viz Video struck out on the first three volumes of Ranma 1/2. as female Ranma, Brigitta Dau sounded like she was merely reading lines. Fortunately, Ocean Studios fired her and brought in Venus Terzo, finally making the English dub watchable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
hanachan01

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Anything from ADV or the FUNimation dub of DBZ are at the bottom of the pits for me. I can't stand ADV's sound quality because of their artificial 5.1 tracks, and I just never really liked their actors since I first heard the Evangelion dub way back.

DBZ's dub, while Ocean is just as guilty for the script changes and edits, is nothing but bad imitations. When FUNi came around with their own dubbing, it was obvious they were trying to "recreate" the sound of the old voices, but it was pretty terrible since they were fairly new to voice acting in general. I'll take established veterans like Drummond, McNeil, Cole, and the rest of Ocean over Sabat playing half of the cast any day.

Personally, I loved DBZ's dub because it was so bad. It was a little campy, a little odd-sounding, and a little annoying, which oddly enough, I felt fit the show very well, since DBZ itself has those characteristics.

I really disliked Gravitation's dub. I'm a huge fan of all of the seiyuu, especially Shuichi's VA, Tomokazu Seki, so hearing this lackluster dub made the blow even more painful. Yuki's dub VA couldn't act at all-he always had the 'I'm a cold, emotionless b******d' attitude instead of changing his tone to fit the scene, and his line delivery felt poorly timed and stiff delivery was off. Shuichi's, while he wasn't a horrible actor, had an annoying voice that felt too whiny for the character. Shuichi is very whiny at times, but this VA's voice always came off whiny to me. All the other voices felt bland and hard to tell apart from each other. The only good dub perforance in the whole series was Bill Rogers as Tohma Seguchi, who while taking a slightly different approach than the original seiyuu by making his voice deeper than the original(Tohma's seiyuu is Ai Orikasa, a girl), and a little creepier. I felt his performance was amazing, and he's the only one I would recast in a dream Gravi dub cast.

Sadly, the same dubbing studio who did Gravi also did my current favorite show, Genshiken. I could easily point out who each voice was (Kohsaka=Ryuichi-woah, who whoulda thunk? Anime hyper; Kugayama=Yuki, whom I still hate; Madarame=Sakano; etc.). Every main character of Genshiken, and even some minor ones, were done by a Gravi actors. Sad

And of course One Piece. Sanji from Brooklynn? WTF is 4kids smokin'?
God Gundam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

Dude, ADV has greatly improved since 1997. More actors, better direction, more faithful scripts - you need to move ahead about 10 years.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
One Piece - Probably the top of the list in my mind is One Piece, but of course it's from 4Kids so being a hacked-up, poorly-voiced dub is just par for the course for them.

DBZ/DBGT
- 2nd worst to me would be FUNi's DBZ-DBGT dubs. Why? After they split up from Ocean and Saban, they had the chance to make the show more accurate to the original. Instead they still changed too much around. The VAs were pretty bad at the beginning of Season 3, but now FUNi's VAs have improved and I now think they do a good job voicing their characters. It's just the unnecessary script/music changes that drag it down to awfulness. DBGT was already bad, but at least the original music was good. The rap music is really makes the show even worse.

Those are about the only ones I can think of that I REAAAALLLY hate at the moment. Laughing
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:
Tony K. wrote:

Dude, ADV has greatly improved since 1997. More actors, better direction, more faithful scripts - you need to move ahead about 10 years.

He's not saying "because they were bad then, they're still bad", he's saying "they were bad then, and they're not any better now". There's a big difference. I totally agree with you on the FUNi dubs, I can't even put up with them 90% of the time. ADV is a little more sporadic imo, they have a few good dubs out there. What bothers me the most with FUNi seems to be that I have never... EVER heard a VA for the lead role in any of their shows that I thought sounded even remotely like the originals. Their supporting VAs and side characters never seemed too bad, but their lead role choices have always been atrocious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I actually think ADV and Funi usually both have stellar dubs. I loved the Chrono Crusade dub and the Gunslinger Girl dub was one of the best I've heard. Not to mention Fullmetal Alchemist really ranks up there on top as well. The dubs I really can't stand are FF:U and the Crest/Banner of the Stars series along with a number of older titles. These days though I don't come across many dubs that I find intolerable, of course I haven't seen any of the recent series that I saw with reviews that had their dubs poorly rated either, like Fantastic Children.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeonGEvangelion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy most of ADV and Funi, dubs. Maybe its because I have a high tolerence for things, and im not a stuck up elitist. Anyways this is going to turn into another nightmare of a flame thread because of the words DUB and SUB.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:01 pm Reply with quote
You guys haven't heard bad. Warriors of the Wind tops the list for atrocious dub.

Basiclly, it's the most hacked up version of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind out there. I managed to find a copy, and my god, I can see why Miyazaki is extremely strict with his properties.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I totally fail to see why people rag on NGE's dub as being "atrocious" (unless you're talking about the audio recording quality). I've always not only really liked that one but wouldn't hesitate to pick it over the original Japanese vocals if given a choice. Great casting and great performances in most key roles.

selenta wrote:
I totally agree with you on the FUNi dubs, I can't even put up with them 90% of the time. ADV is a little more sporadic imo, they have a few good dubs out there. What bothers me the most with FUNi seems to be that I have never... EVER heard a VA for the lead role in any of their shows that I thought sounded even remotely like the originals. Their supporting VAs and side characters never seemed too bad, but their lead role choices have always been atrocious.

What about Kiddy Grade? Colleen Clinkenbeard not only sounds exactly right as Eclair, but she looks a lot like her, too. Could Fullmetal Alchemist have found a more appropriate lead than Vic Mignogna? And I'd challenge anyone to listen to the dub for Speed Grapher and try to honestly tell me that Chris Sabat didn't nail Saiga or substantially outdo the original seiyuu.

As for bad dubs, I'm forced to agree that Crest/Banner of the Stars is not one of the better ones, but I'll still point to Green Green and Iczer-One as two of the worst I've ever heard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't even know why the hell I left this open. If you don't like a certain dub, then that's your call. Otherwise, I'm ending this here so we can all continue doing what we do; enjoying anime.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1