• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Outbreak Company episodes 1-6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leebo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:54 am Reply with quote
That's the thing about anime... sure, she's "16" and that's legal in most countries, but it's also intentional that she's not supposed to look 16.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:14 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Petrarca isn't a minor. I have no idea where you got that info.

Yes she is (assuming you understand that the definition of a minor is a person under the age of 18). Oh and I suppose it has completely escaped your notice that she, through her character design and behaviour, is quite obviously supposed to represent, if not a fullblown loli, then certainly a very young character?
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:19 am Reply with quote
Folks, folks! Are we really arguing about anime characters and their conveniently assigned ages? It's like none of you have seen anime before! Laughing

I think we can all grasp the concept that whether or not a 16 year old is a minor is going to vary according to local and activity. Surely there must be something more worthy of discussion, such as Minori's Inazuma Eleven obsession...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Leebo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
Well, the reason it's a topic of discussion is because the proponents of the show like to say that Outbreak Company is distinguished from other anime in not having those creepy elements, so I think it's a fair thing to address.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Well, the reason it's a topic of discussion is because the proponents of the show like to say that Outbreak Company is distinguished from other anime in not having those creepy elements, so I think it's a fair thing to address.

"Those creepy elements" is a subjective enough concept that you won't be able to establish consensus around it. One person's creepy is another's A-O-K. I consider Outbreak Company to be relatively tasteful for a show about and for otaku. One cannot parody and clown on otaku culture if one leaves the interests and artifacts of said culture conspicuously absent. Petralka is both part of the appeal and part of the joke.

Last edited by VORTIA on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Leebo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
It's a matter of having its cake and eating it too. You don't get credit for not "doing the things most otaku shows do" and then doing them.

No one is saying this makes the show bad, it's just not the positive people are claiming it is.

Quote:
"Those creepy elements" is a subjecive enough concept that you won't be able to establish consensus around it. One person's creepy is another's A-O-K.

That's also not really relevant. We can evaluate things even though people have different opinions.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe you're such a prude that Petralka is such a big deal for you. Seriously.

I can only imagine how amazingly livid and offended you'd be by a show that actually has actual fanservice featuring a minor character, like Bakemonogatari or Ro-kyu-bu. Seriously, maybe someone should show you some loli service bait and record your response. You'd put the Moral Majority to shame.
Leebo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
You're talking to me?
Nayu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
You're talking to me?

I don't see anyone else getting all apoplectic about some amazingly minor fanservice.
Leebo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm not apoplectic... you're reading way more into what I'm saying than is actually there. The claim being made is that there isn't any fanservice in the show, that's what I'm responding to.

I don't have a "problem" with Petralka. I wasn't even the person who brought up the scenes involving her. Someone mentioned it, then someone else said she's not a minor, and that's what I responded to.

It should be noted that I like fanservice... I'm not opposed to fanservice, it's just silly to act like Outbreak Company doesn't have any.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yes she is (assuming you understand that the definition of a minor is a person under the age of 18).

FYI 19 is still a minor in Japan (though age 20 is a relatively recent establishment, much like age 18 for western countries, compared to its history).

But 16 is not, and is the age of majority in Columbia and Bolivia for example.

And in a fictional world, especially a fantasy setting emulating medieval times, then 16 most certainly be treated as adult already

Last edited by configspace on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
Nayu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
I'm not apoplectic... you're reading way more into what I'm saying than is actually there. The claim being made is that there isn't any fanservice in the show, that's what I'm responding to.

I don't have a "problem" with Petralka. I wasn't even the person who brought up the scenes involving her. Someone mentioned it, then someone else said she's not a minor, and that's what I responded to.

It should be noted that I like fanservice... I'm not opposed to fanservice, it's just silly to act like Outbreak Company doesn't have any.

No one is claiming there is no fanservice in this show. The entire bloody show is fanservice. Witty bloody fanservice.

And honestly, she's not a minor. She's the ruler of the land. You can't get further from being a minor than that.
Leebo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really interested in playing word games, so if that's what you feel like doing then, have at it.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
I'm not really interested in playing word games, so if that's what you feel like doing then, have at it.

Don't fall on your sword in your hasty retreat. Smile
Leebo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
What's the point in discussing it if people are going to use words one way, and then use them in another way, and pretend they didn't do that? It just doesn't interest me.

You didn't acknowledge that your "mind reading" session was also pretty off, so it's an indication of how honest you would be in discussing this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4