• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Golden Time Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
What makes this show work for me is the balance between the soap-operatic twists and the strong characterization of the two leads. The story keeps getting more gripping, and I'm surprised with how much I care about Koko despite how clingy and overbearing she can be.

I just think it could be better animated. I get that not every JC Staff show can be as lavishly produced as Index and Railgun, but it's sad to see Shinya Hasegawa's attractive character designs wasted on such mediocre animation quality.

As for Chiaki Kon, her work is usually so devoid of flair and style that I don't usually pay attention to how she directs a show. The only time I've ever noticed something about her directing was when she took over Nodame Cantabile starting with the second season, and I instantly realized that whatever magical touch Kenichi Kasai brought to the first season was gone.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
And everyone thought I was nut when I said kon is a horrible director, who had to be type cast into the role of director otherwise they would have used someone else. Because she has once again done her worst/best to destroy the source material she has been given.

I see absolutely no positive aspects to having her as a director in a non yoai esqe series. If anyone else can point out the positives of her as a director I would like to hear it if for nothing else but to confirm there is some logic to the choice of who is the director in the anime industry.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Chiaki Kon directed Hanasakeru Seishōnen, Makai Ōji: Devils and Realist, La Storia Della Arcana Famiglia, and the disastrously-adapted Umineko: When They Cry. Sure, she's done some other stuff, but nevertheless that's not a good resume.

Say what you want about Umineko and Arcana Famiglia, but Makai Ouji was a lot better than anyone expected it to be.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Chiaki Kon directed Hanasakeru Seishōnen, Makai Ōji: Devils and Realist, La Storia Della Arcana Famiglia, and the disastrously-adapted Umineko: When They Cry. Sure, she's done some other stuff, but nevertheless that's not a good resume.

Say what you want about Umineko and Arcana Famiglia, but Makai Ouji was a lot better than anyone expected it to be.

Along with every other yaoi related title she worked on.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:39 am Reply with quote
I'm certainly enjoying this series. The characters are all likeable, and I certainly don't feel like the director is having a negative impact on the series, but of course, I'm not a professional reviewer, so what do I know?

I really like Linda for some reason, and I'm glad she's beginning to receive more of a focus, I hope this continues throughout the series.

Also, is it really okay to call episode 6 a mid-season finale, when the series is actually 24 episodes long?
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote
Just reading the excerpt on the side column I knew it was a Carl Kimlinger review. I swear every time he purports to know what's going on the director's mind Rolling Eyes
Illusionary_Systems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:58 am Reply with quote
Ha, I know what you mean. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2