• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
School Rumble: Annoying and funny tidbits!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:59 am Reply with quote
I've finished watching School Rumble's 1st season two days ago, and I have some mixed feelings about it. I really liked the show overall, and thought it was a nice story with interesting characters.

But I could hardly tolerate Harima Kenji's mustache & sunglasses combo. I just wanted to look away from the screen all the time.

Also, Tsukamoto Tenma was kind of annoying at times, I liked all of her fellow girlfriends better.

So I had some minor issues with the two main characters...

Also, the little part after the last ending theme. The part where you see a sky filled with bright stars and Karasuma carries Tenma on his back...what was that about?

This show has many amazingly funny details though. What made me laugh very hard is every random part with Karasuma. Particularly the "Kappa" joke and the way he pronounced "curry". Also, everytime Tenma misunderstood the meaning of a word was just too stupid.

All in all, I really can't figure what rating I should give this show (I put "Very Good" in MyAnime)...I'd just label it with a"LOL"

So what did you guys think about all of this? What strong/weak points did you think it had?
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:37 pm Reply with quote
epixeltwin wrote:
But I could hardly tolerate Harima Kenji's mustache & sunglasses combo. I just wanted to look away from the screen all the time.
Harima looks way better in the Second Season. He pretty much removed the Hige-ness forever. Almost.

Anyway, it actually benefits him in the long run to used to be an ugly delinquent before, erm, transforming. It makes him more dynamic than just starting up "cool."
epixeltwin wrote:
Also, Tsukamoto Tenma was kind of annoying at times, I liked all of her fellow girlfriends better.
Season 2 went whole arcs on Yakumo and Eri instead. They were the two most popular characters when the manga did some poll way back (like, in Japan, pretty early on), I believe, which motivated the mangaka to give much more "screentime" to these two. And Harima.

Those Japanese people really voted well: they are also my two favorite characters.

In other words, I think you will, just like me, find the Second Season even better. This entire show is an absolute must-buy for me once Funimation starts releasing it.
epixeltwin wrote:
Also, the little part after the last ending theme. The part where you see a sky filled with bright stars and Karasuma carries Tenma on his back...what was that about?
I have absolutely no clue. I personally just took it that the last sequence of Tenma-on-Karasuma's Back was the real one and no lasting consequences come from that scene, and instead assume that everything (else) that had to do with Harima directly (except for the starting joke of a manga!) is real.
epixeltwin wrote:
This show has many amazingly funny details though. What made me laugh very hard is every random part with Karasuma. Particularly the "Kappa" joke and the way he pronounced "curry". Also, everytime Tenma misunderstood the meaning of a word was just too stupid.
Hey, I find Harima the funniest. Personally I think the show's humor is at its best when its gone on the parody swing of things. The "Yoiyasha!" song thing was absolutely floor-worthy. It's so...manly, old-fashioned, and...heroic...in a funny kind of way.

And Harima as Goku, and Harima the Harem boy, and Harima...

You get the point. Laughing

Oh, and Dojibiron deserves a worthy mention. Personally I think this parody is even better than Kujibiki Unbalance in Genshiken.
epixeltwin wrote:
So what did you guys think about all of this? What strong/weak points did you think it had?
It's my current favorite. 'Nuff said. Wink
m00nshine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:46 pm Reply with quote
School Rumble is my favorite comedy anime by far. Harima is a riot... i personally wish he'd bring back the goatee, thought he looked cooler. Anyways definately watch the second season it will answer some of your questions. Tenma can be annoying at times but usually she is a great compliment to everyone else and she only adds humor to the scenes. There are many more misunderstandings to look foward too in the second season and i think you'll like it.
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:

Season 2 went whole arcs on Yakumo and Eri instead. They were the two most popular characters when the manga did some poll way back (like, in Japan, pretty early on), I believe, which motivated the mangaka to give much more "screentime" to these two. And Harima.

Those Japanese people really voted well: they are also my two favorite characters.

Exactly my thoughts... These two really really were the most interesting characters. And just as you, I just NEED to get my hands on these DVDs QUICK. Evil or Very Mad my wallet will suffer again Anime cry

I haven't seen the 2nd season though and cant wait to see it.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:37 pm Reply with quote
epixeltwin wrote:

It's worth noting that Kobayashi Jin, creator of School Rumble, looks exactly almost like Harima. Perhaps School Rumble is autobiographical to some extent?
free2slap

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I find school rumble to be somewhat annoying but yet i really enjoyed it. It is really hilarious and i really like harima, Though at some point i wish the plot would get more serious. They say this anime genre is romance but i really doubt it. It leans over more to the comedy scene than they ever side to any romance. And what the hell does harima see in tenma anyway. she is short, has a flat chest, annoying, childish and ugly. I'm rather looking forward to the relation between eri and harima and i hope they get more screen time than anybody else.

Quote:
Harima looks way better in the Second Season. He pretty much removed the Hige-ness forever. Almost.

Anyway, it actually benefits him in the long run to used to be an ugly delinquent before, erm, transforming. It makes him more dynamic than just starting up "cool."

I remembered him having a long beard and it made me wonder just how old he was anyway Smile.....Things a man would do for the woman he loves, how pathetic Razz Razz
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I love this franchise. It's very cooky and off the wall, but somehow manages to feel sort of down-to-earth with all the romance, pairings, and subtle nuances of the characters

I'll definitley say, though, that SC is the master of misunderstandings, in that they can make all sorts of these compromising situations into gigantic laughing stocks.

The characters themselves are just a joy to watch. Their chemistry with each other and all the little quirks like Karsuma's Kappa apparel and obsession with curry, Tenma's not-so-bright mind, Akira's double life as a spy and ability of deduction, Yakumo's shyness and knack for getting into the middle of those misunderstandings, and of course, Harima's rough exterior with his somewhat eccentric talent for daydreaming and writing all of those outright hilarious manga plots Laughing.

A friend of mine loves Harima's character and always calls him his "boy." He says he'll even try to cosplay him next year at AnimeFest, so that should be.. interesting.

But yeah, I gave it an Excellent soley for the comedy and atmosphere it provides. Great art, animation, music, and extremely fun characters.

If there's any kind of negative, though, it'd have to be how they just tease and torture the audience by always building up these romances only to transform it from a "I'm rooting for this couple" situation into a "LOL, what the hell?!" scene.

It's not bad, per say, but I found myself rooting for Harima on many an ocassion and was just so pissed off that a lot of it never came to fruition. To describe it, I'd say it's like those cartoons where people imagine themselves tearing out their hair in frustration and exploding/running around like a maniac (or something like that). But still, it gave me a lot of consolation laughs and I've sort of come to expect that now as a norm.

And as much as I wish the romance would resolve itself, I somehow think it would also just ruin the mood of the franchise. It already establishes itself very well by using parody, those many misunderstandings, and character quirks to entertain the audience, and I think the way it sort of combines them all to just tease us is what makes it so great.

It's no Masterpiece because of that, but is still highly entertaining, you know?

Oh, and 2nd Term is just as hilarious. It retains the same amount of parody, slapstick, and situational humor, though in better animation bascially. The intro also isn't as catchy as "Scramble," but fits the series for contiuation anyway. I just hope FUNimation does a good job producing the dub and not changing too much of the dialogue or Americanizing it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I also think this stands by itself as a great anime comedy. Even when there might be some drama in there, something else will happen to break that mood, mainly Tenma-chan! Harima is a great character to have as a furyo, he seems to be very determined at what he's trying to do, and we all know what it is Laughing
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
If there's any kind of negative, though, it'd have to be how they just tease and torture the audience by always building up these romances only to transform it from a "I'm rooting for this couple" situation into a "LOL, what the hell?!" scene.
I think the second season is much more ruthless in this comedic tool than the first. Eri's spoiler[Elopement] arc probably have Eri's fans cheering their very hearts off. Smile

The climax on episode 19 is no better; they just push the dramatic situation with touchy music and Harima's shakin' to his core and then crash the whole thing up. Laughing

As of episode 23, strangely there's seem to be little follow-up on that either. And they were teasing the audiences with a 2-episodes special right after 19 ended (as if there'd be a lot character developments going on "next week" for the Japanese audiences to wait for, only to turn out to be "alternative animes" and side characters' turns to shine)! They and their erratic humor.
Tony K. wrote:
Oh, and 2nd Term is just as hilarious. It retains the same amount of parody, slapstick, and situational humor, though in better animation bascially. The intro also isn't as catchy as "Scramble," but fits the series for contiuation anyway. I just hope FUNimation does a good job producing the dub and not changing too much of the dialogue or Americanizing it.
I noticed that too. The first season's strange CGs and "DBZ" battles (how do I say this? The static punches on "fast-moving" background lines...) are pretty much gone. I guess it must've been relatively successful and got a budget upgrade.

I'm not sure also how FUNimation would handle some of the word plays in the series. Harry Mackenzie? The Turtle and Sleeping Beauty? Ka- ...?
Greennunu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:54 am Reply with quote
SC is definitely up there in my top 5s.

Harima is possibly my favorite male character. Tenma although has her moments(the finger gun), I find myself rooting for Eri 100%. I think they made her character personality to weak. If they don't wrap things up 2nd season I think SC is one of the few anime I won't mind watching till the hundreds series.... as long as it has a conclusion.
DaZ616

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:55 am Reply with quote
I like all the parodies In School rumble.
Parodies such as DBZ and the matrix make me laugh all the time, Especially all the Initial D parodies. The one Initial D parody in Ep 22 of S.Rumble : 2nd Term made me laugh the most.

I believe there were more parodies but i wasnt sure which anime they were from.

Can anyone name me all the parodies In Ep 20 and 21 of School rumble: 2nd term for me please? and especially tell me the parody at the end of the episode 21.

Thanks in Advanced

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Greennunu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:45 am Reply with quote
At the there was a small Saber Marionette partspoiler[ after everyone gets defeated and Tenma got her past back, it shows the heart with the letters OTOME.] that's the only part I remember in EP20, the others I can rewatch and guess but won't me 100% confident.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:45 am Reply with quote
Just wondering... Is there any reason people abbreviate School Rumble as "SC" as opposed to what would seem like it should be "SR"? I've only seen one episode, is this some kind of inside reference? Or maybe it's just something very obvious that I'm just overlooking... I can't see it though (And yes, I see the "SC" in "school", but that wouldn't be the correct acronym).
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:13 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Just wondering... Is there any reason people abbreviate School Rumble as "SC" as opposed to what would seem like it should be "SR"? I've only seen one episode, is this some kind of inside reference? Or maybe it's just something very obvious that I'm just overlooking... I can't see it though (And yes, I see the "SC" in "school", but that wouldn't be the correct acronym).

Especiall since SC means

Starcraft
> Samurai Champloo > SChool Rumble ?!

I don't know, I think the Japanese name is "Sukuran" .... It's probably just people making mistakes

Last edited by epixeltwin on Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:11 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

Whoops, my bad Anime catgrin + sweatdrop. When I was typing that, I actually was thinking of Champloo because the CD was playing in the background. I wanted to type "School Rumble," but then decided to abbreviate it with "SR," but already had Champloo on my mind and ended up typing "SC" instead Embarassed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2