• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eureka 7

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I agree that Rahzephon was HEAVILY influenced by NGE, to say the least. I actually prefered Rahxephon though over NGE. As I said before though, if something works then it'll be emulated until it stops working. As long as they stay popular the copies keep coming. You have no idea how tired I am of a new Gundam title every year it seems. The thing is they sell, unitil they don't it's more Gundam for us all Crying or Very sad

The other to thing of is this; if you like a series a lot, or it's very popular in general, than everything in that genre after it you'll probably see similarities with. People could say NGE borrows off of Patlabor a lot and so on. Unfortunetly there does seem to be a lack of originality out there. Even if you're using a time tested and proved method just try and add something new to mix so it stands out at least.
Supermario

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:48 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Hisdon wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Personally, I think Eureka 7 is a rip-off of Evangelion, but that's just based on the fact that everything that has happened in the series has happened in Evangelion (more or less). Razz

everything that's happened in ANY mecha series post 95 has happened in Eva more or less.

that or Ideon.

pretty much. Rah-Xephon, Evangelion and Eureka 7 are all in the same lil family and all got a lot of things in common.

However if you asked me to the pick the best, that's a very opinion based question, but Evangelion gave me the most lasting impression after finishing it, which is also probably do to watching it first. Regardless, it still remains my personal fave of the few because of that feeling it gives the viewer as oppose to say, Rah-Xephon, that felt a lot more hollow (the action w/ mechs was pretty poor as well imo) in the symbolism, and Eureka 7 is a very well done love story with the best mech action scenes I've seen so far.

Why does it matter if they do have things in common? Of course they might share some basic elements. If something works and is popular of course it will be emmulated. That's basic martketing for you. If something sells then use it until it doesn't sell anymore. That's just how it works. Now even if it does borrow frm other shows why should it matter? If you like the show it takes its ideas from you should be happy others like it enough to emulate it in their own works. I personally do not see the relation or similarities to Evangelion, except for the fact there are mechs in it. That's just me though. The comment that anything in post 95' series happened in Evangelion is not true though. There are plenty of mech shows with original aspects. The problem is once something has been done everything seems like a copy. You can't have 2 original ideas. Besdies, anything pre or post 95' can be said to be a rip off of Robotech (Macross), Gundam or Patlabor. Shoot, even Voltron was way before most mech animes. You should just enjoy the show for it's differences and similarities and judge it based on it's own merits, not anything they maybe have been influenced by another source.

I agree with psycho 101 if you look in really any anime not just strictly the mecha catagory things are repeated. Certain themes are re-used over and over again. And like psycho 101 just enjoy the stinking show. I can see what ,who ever said this,meant when they said that Eureka 7 gets reptitive. In the begining it does just a little bit, but I do not agree about Renton not growing. If you look closely and compare episodes Renton does grow alot. As for the little action if you don't see a lot of action in the beginning just don't stop! It starts speeding up and the action scenes are simply amazing!!
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
How far are you into the series so far? The later fight scenes were absolutely amazing. I can't even imagin the amount of effort put into coriographing them as oppose to other mech fights. They rivaled a lot of the Hellsing OVA fights (which have been simply Shocked so far) and I can't really think of many scenes that match up to them.

I've been following the series on CN so no I have yet to see the entire show. Even if the end battles are great, that doesn't change the fact that there is little to no fighting throughout most of the show. And when there is a battle, it's not much more than the LFOs dashing through the grunt bots (hardly a battle at all). If the later fights are anything like Renton's first encounter with Anemone then that's not saying much. There have been some pretty fantastic mecha fights over the years and I have yet to see how Eureka 7 will be able to soar to the top of that list (given the Nirvash's Seventh Swell, my prediction is those last fights will be reminscent of Turn A).

As far as the Eva/Rah/Eureka thing, there's a difference between influence and pure copying. Many scenes in RahXephon were almost taken shot for shot from Eva. It got to the point where I was able to predict not only what was going to happen but what everyone would say and how they would react because hey, I saw that episode of Evangelion. After reading the manga (which was much better because it didn't take from Eva like the anime did) I was really looking forward to watching the anime (yet to finish it though because of G4). Unfortunatley it was full of melodrama and the only thing truly separating Ayato from Shinji besides his artistic talent was that he was actually desireable to practically every female in the show (which I saw as no more than fan pandering). I've been told Eureka does take an Eva route, but I've yet to see that. I just think Eureka is poorly executed and the focus isn't where it should be.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:45 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Hisdon wrote:
How far are you into the series so far? The later fight scenes were absolutely amazing. I can't even imagin the amount of effort put into coriographing them as oppose to other mech fights. They rivaled a lot of the Hellsing OVA fights (which have been simply Shocked so far) and I can't really think of many scenes that match up to them.

I've been following the series on CN so no I have yet to see the entire show. Even if the end battles are great, that doesn't change the fact that there is little to no fighting throughout most of the show. And when there is a battle, it's not much more than the LFOs dashing through the grunt bots (hardly a battle at all). If the later fights are anything like Renton's first encounter with Anemone then that's not saying much. There have been some pretty fantastic mecha fights over the years and I have yet to see how Eureka 7 will be able to soar to the top of that list (given the Nirvash's Seventh Swell, my prediction is those last fights will be reminscent of Turn A).

if you are following CN, then you havn't seen much at all. It's like FMA, most the action scenes come in 2nd season and late first season. I'd reserve your judgement for then because the fights only get better and better. I really don't see how you could compare them in many cases to other shows.

It doesn't really take a NGE route, think more like a FMA route. They are both made by bones anyways, and yea, I felt the same way with Rah-Xephon, which is why I prefer NGE, it just felt way too much like a proxy.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
in my opinion it very different and more original than gundam.

the main character is a kid, mechs surf the air, mysterious girl whos main character love interest and a ragtag group of ex militaries with kids and a cool magazine. plus they travel in a stolen ship.

none fo that is gundam
SmashRackets4Fun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
Eureka 7 is not really similar to eva because of the love story... I think its focused too much on the love story, I hardly understood the amita drive... or anything really.
moondoggie84

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:02 am Reply with quote
i liked that it focused on the love story nice mix of action and drama. The amita awakens the nirvash and sort of records the feelings of renton and eureka. Thats why the seven swell and other abilities work since it feeds off of their emotions.

i wasnt really confused about anything just certain meaning behind certain dialogue during certain episodes, but thats more opinion based than fact
LuisRowinn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I love this anime. Personaly I don't seem much similarty between Eureka 7

and Gundam series. Eureka 7 and Gundam both have mecha, but i think thats

where it ends. The story for Eureka 7 is super original, I've never seen anything

like it. Also there mechas KLF's and LFO's kinda kick more ass than gundams.

So in the end you could put both shows in the giant fighting robot catagory,

but I wouldn't call it a Gundam clone.

As psycho 101 stated

Quote:
Why does it matter if they do have things in common? Of course

they might share some basic elements. If something works and is popular of

course it will be emmulated.

I agee with this statement, this is true for all kinds of industrires.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2