• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Tales from the Bottom Shelf

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I remember enjoying Explorer Woman Ray too, but then again, it has been many a year since I've seen it so I don't know how well it would hold up for me now.

As for favorite extraneous OVA's, I have a great love for Wounded Man, the adaption of the Koike/Ikegami manga that is quite possibly the manliest manga ever. The anime is very faithful in its adaption, even if the animation suffers from not being able to replicate Ikegami's intricate realism. I found a Chinese pirated copy a few years ago with horrible "Engrish" subtitles, but thankfully ComicsOne had managed to bring the manga to the US in the early 2000's, so I was able to follow along with the anime's story. Highly recommended for anybody who loves their other works like Crying Freeman.

I also used to love the Final Fantasy: Legend Of The Crystals OVA that Urban Vision managed to release and have been dying to get it on DVD here in the US.

A bit more recent, but I have always enjoyed the Puppet Princess OVA. I'm not even sure what it's based off of (if anything), but everytime I watch it, I always want more of the story then the one episode that was produced...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Putting Dragon Century up again, because it was a great one-shot for its time. I also want to mention, because I haven't before, that I love Ryukihei's dragon art. His dragons had a unique upright look to them that I still love whenever I thumb through Dragon Wars or Stainless Steel Armadillo (I'd love to know where he came up with the latter's name though X3).

Even though he isn't credited anywhere in it, I could swear he did the designs for the Emerald Dragon game on PC. (I mean really, look at the dragons, who else could have done them?)

Quote:
Perhaps most perplexingly, Fandora had an English dub, which was present on the original Japanese laserdisc release, but never really marketed or sold overseas. Why'd they make it?

That's a good question. Has anyone here ever uploaded or heard the dub before?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I truly, truly want to get a bunch of 80's OVAs and blast through them one day. The way people describe them the time was a time of every completely bizarre strange idea being whole-heartedly approved. It's a unique-sounding era all right. I'll have to check out some of these OVAs soon.
davemerrill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Way back in the day, somebody near me had a VHS of the English dub of Fandora, and we used clips of it in Corn Pone Flicks' "Bad American Dubbing". It's an astonishingly bad dub, and boy, I wish I still had a copy of that.

I watched Carlvinson while prepping for my Let's Anime piece, but it's so gosh darn charming that I think there might be some essentiality to it after all. Justy, I believe, deserves a legit DVD release. I have a soft spot for Tsuguo Okazaki and his Yas-meets-Mikimoto artwork.

Rockin' column as always, Mike!!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Man, you really can go on forever with lesser known and buried OVA titles, any many that are worth watching but still remain completely unknown even with fansubs from good DVD sources and coming from creators of other very well know anime and manga. Everyone knows Yoshiki Tanaka, genius behind Legend of the Galactic Heroes and the Heroic Legend of Arslan, and incompetent fool behind Tytania. But how many have ever seen the excellent but drastically cut-short Seven Cities Story OVA from 1994? Any fan of the previous owes it to themselves to check it out, and then bemoan over it never receiving more episodes.

1993 brought us a true oneshot in Desert Rose by Area 88's Kaoru Shintani. It's just a quick story, but well drawn and entertaining, sort of falling in line with other series about mercenary women, but still carrying an 80s look and tone. Then there's Cleopatra D.C. (Shintani and Yuuki), which I know has had some kind American release forever ago, but the remastered R2s are worth checking out if you want something like Gunsmith Cats. Then there's Goddamn, a two part OVA about rallying, also by Shintai. It's not so hot and lacks production values, but how many anime can you even find for real-world motorsports?

I think the way I come across so many of these things is just by looking up what people have worked on in their careers, or just downloading whatever new OVA comes up fresh in the torrent searches.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:27 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Seven Cities Story OVA from 1994? Any fan of the previous owes it to themselves to check it out, and then bemoan over it never receiving more episodes.

The source for that one is just a single novel by Tanaka, which I'm not sure if the OVAs made it to the end of or not. There are also a couple of shared-world books written by other authors. It is a setting ripe for more development, though.

Although "Tytania" the anime has its problems, I blame the adaptation for most of them. IMO, the black sheep in Yoshiki Tanaka's fold will always be "Sohryuuden."
norbjunior

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote
I was always hugely enamored of Mainichi ga Nichiyoubi/Everyday is Sunday. It got sent to me by mistake by Kodocha Anime waaaay back when (purple VHS tapes...still got 'em) and I had never heard of it before and have never heard of it since! But it was a fun little romp....I should check it out again!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
This was a fun column and we definitely need to expose more obscure titles such as these.

I actually remember many of these titles but never had the chance to viewing them. I knew people that knew other people who had copies of such films during the OS tape trading and anime club days. But never had the chance of acquiring or inquiring as to whether anyone had it for me to view. I collected a lot of old anime magazines over the years. Most from the mid to late 80's which is how I kept track of some of these titles. Aside from the well known publications such as Animedia, Newtype and Animage there were a few others that are long defunct. But there was one I'll mention that was pretty important and reflective of the anime "boom" of the 80's. Anyone on ANN who is at least in their late 30s to 50s may remember a magazine called Anime-V. The sole purpose of this magazine was to provide coverage on the release and distribution of OVAs. Iczer-1 was the first OVA title that got me into collecting this periodical. Prefectural Earth Defense Force was the first OVA I'd ever seen at a anime club in the city. But the choice of OVAs were selective in Anime-V. Iczer-1 was covered, even Fandora. I had always wanted to see this anime, but never had the chance. A friend years later told me that Go Nagai was responsible. I found that odd manly because anything by Go Nagai's does not look like happy fairy dust. Which is why I couldn't believe it was his creation. Another thing that Anime-V also covered was the Cream Lemon series. Which was an enclosed page located in the back.

I do remember MAPS from the 80's. Years later I would find myself surprised of a newer version. I didn't even know that this version even existed. Then I began to think back to the original MAPS that I have never seen except in old anime magazines.

Space Police Cosmo Justy. I can't tell you how many times I'd heard about that shows among older anime fans yet no one ever brought it to a club. It was mostly girl fans that enjoyed the series because it had a handsome male character. Sadly I had only seen images of this show from the magazines I collected. I still have yet to watch Explorer Woman Ray. I bought it on VHS some years ago and haven't opened the damn thing. And now my VCR is acting crazy.

I remember Grey: Digital Target. Oh those noses. Like Pinocchio from Galvion. I do have to admit it was a change from what I was used to seeing. But I do remember this title, but unfortunately never had the chance to see it.

I'll end on Space Family Carl Vinson. I saw this title sometime in the mid 90's. A close friend who was part of larger group of anime collectors and traders had gotten his hand on a copy. That's what friends do, find something and then toss it your way because they think you might like it. I thought Carl Vinson was the cutest thing I'd ever seen. At the same time it was the weirdest. And for YEARS we couldn't for the life of us figure out what the meaning of the title meant. We sometime called it Carl Benson. yeah, it's that whole "b/v" thing. It wasn't until I came across the manga-ka's site and noticed that he had pictures air craft carriers. So I was like, "he's a fan of this stuff" just like Kenichi Sonoda's a fan of guns. I came across a vessel called the SS. Carl Vinson. All this time I was looking for a meaning to the name not realizing that the ship the aliens rode in was just a name he chose based on some interest to him. There was never any secret to the meaning just a reference. So I began picking up the manga at used book stores. I found myself laughing at stuff even though I didn't have a clue as to what it said. But you figure it out. How could a guy create a cute comic? To this day, I've been hoping that some distributor would give this title a release. But it's such a niche title I'm surprised that the column even mentioned it. It truly brightened my Sunday evening. I used to think I was special for knowing something someone didn't but it makes me happier now when you find that you're not alone in knowing about something you enjoy. To this day I still own my old ran off VHS copy of Carl Vinson and I managed to find the OST to the OVA as well.

As for the Rintaro feature Take the X Train that should get a release. And speaking of Crusher Joe, I have yet to sit down and watch the first movie. I'd seen the 2nd. But for years many talked so much about that series. I was lucky to grab a copy at a reasonable price when they were just disappearing. If they ever decided to rescue this title it will definitely be on my list of titles to recommend to our collection because it's a title everyone should see. Though I'm still wondering the connection with Dirty Pair. I'm going to have to check out that guy's column. It's good to have people out there who have some knowledge on these old niche titles. Would be nice to see them released but that's wishful thinking.

Here's a list of OVAs that I have enjoyed and those that I remember that have been lost to time.

Others I Enjoy OS:
Robot Carnival (This should get a immediate rescue)
Dragons Heaven
Dragon Century
Black Magic M-66 (I swear by this movie and it made Shirow my husband)
Wolf Guy (never got to finish this series super obscure)
Ultimate Teacher
Wicked City (they could never stop talking about "THAT" scene)
Bubble Gum Crisis (from the time this series started people who got copies were still trying to figure out what the bubblegum part of the title meant)
Good Morning Althena (It was sleeper that some really couldn't get into)
Baoh
Fire Tripper (this should have gotten a release)
Dangaioh
Laughing Target (Would love to see a release for this)

Other's I enjoy NS:
Puppet Princess (I was surprised that this was by the same guy that Ushio & Tora)

Watched:
Daimaju Gekito Hagane no Oni aka 'Steel Demon'. (it took me years to find this title again and find a translation for it)
Ai City (for some reason I have this feeling this title was released on VHS during the early days.
Hanappe Bazooka (it was during my Go Nagai phase)
Iczelion (still part of the Iczer craze but they didn't do anything more with it.)
Dallos (never knew there was more)

Knew about but never got the chance to see :
Guyver (80's version)
Elf 17
Vampire Princess Miyu
K.O. Century Beast (I own it but have yet to watch it)
Call Me Tonight
Locke the Superman (this was another anime female fans were crazy about)
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:28 am Reply with quote
The Cipher manga is pretty much one of the best slice of life pieces ever written. It's so wonderful. Especially if you participated in that era like me.

As for obscure OAVs... Heroic Legend of Arslan. Beautiful. Why couldn't they have finished it? Such a shame. Also, Twin Signal! A cute little silly romp.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
@Chrno2: Again, let me just say thank you for being one of the few people I know who enjoys Dragon Century like I do. =D
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Explorer Women Ray is my favorite piece of kitch, but having said that I still like it.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think the best part of that Gaga Reel is its insistence that the fare advertised is great for the whole family—and then proceeds to flog the likes of M.D. Geist—er, excuse me, Thunder Warrior—and Super Nova, or as we know it, Project A-Ko. Kids love M.D. Geist!

Hey if it worked for Celebrity Home Entertainment, it outta work for us too! I know it's a stretch, and despite the editing, we did get anime that way too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVXTFF-AvJA
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2