• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Edits Fullmetal Alchemist

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I_AM_L wrote:
The cross would be a symbol and of death and viz would have allowed it if it weren't for jesus being crucified on one. Now it's a religious symbol.

Also, was it edited out in the anime?

The scence in the Manga wasn't even "translated" itno the Anime. Perhaps your thinking of Naruto or One Piece?

skaly wrote:

I have issues with Disney, ever since Pocahontas. What dreck. It's like they've spent the last decade or so relearning how to tell a decent story.

Kinda doesn't help when historical accounts put Pocahontas at below 16.
skaly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
skaly wrote:

I have issues with Disney, ever since Pocahontas. What dreck. It's like they've spent the last decade or so relearning how to tell a decent story.

Kinda doesn't help when historical accounts put Pocahontas at below 16.

I guess, but it wasn't even enjoyable on its own merits. Which brings us back to FMA edits. The fact is that, without knowledge of outside factors (meaning anything that cannot be found within the pages of the book in your hand), the English edition of FMA is still enjoyable.

This isn't freaking Cardcaptors, where nearly every major plotpoint and relationship was erased in favor of battle scenes. (And if 4Kids had gotten their hands on it, we never would have gotten original, uncut DVDs. Still waiting for One Piece, you bastards!) So as far as "crimes against anime/manga" are concerned, this "cross" thing is one of the little ones. Like He who was once nailed to it, I forgive them.

But I swear, Viz, if you don't restore Naruto's middle finger, I will make bloody rain on your buttocks. Evil or Very Mad

Very Happy
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:06 pm Reply with quote
skaly wrote:

But I swear, Viz, if you don't restore Naruto's middle finger, I will make bloody rain on your buttocks. Evil or Very Mad
So, Viz censoring out Greed's cross scene in FMA is no big deal but them censoring out Naruto flipping his finger suddenly is? Great job at sounding consistent here, you sure make a whole lot of sense (sarcasm). With Naruto the censoring actually makes more sense because the flipping scene is a pretty vulgar scene in what's otherwise a series that's not really all that offensive, not to mention you normally don't see characters flipping their fingers in 13+ rated books and movies in the U.S., that's usually reserved for R rated movies. But with FMA the series already contains enough material that could be potentially offensive towards Christians that Viz blatantly leaves in that editing out the cross scene is pointless. It isn't the fact that it was edited that FMA fans are pissed off about. Most FMA fans are well aware that this isn't a huge edit. It's just that for Viz to edit a series that's this far into the story that's already potentially offensive towards Christians enough as it already is is just stupid and pointless. It'd be like Comedy Central suddenly editing out any scene in South Park that's offensive to Christians when South Park has been offensive to Christians for years just because some Christian fundie's unsupervised kid might happen to watch it. There's just no point to it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
skaly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:49 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
So, Viz censoring out Greed's cross scene in FMA is no big deal but them censoring out Naruto flipping his finger suddenly is? Great job at sounding consistent here, you sure make a whole lot of sense (sarcasm).

Um, actually I was making a deliberate effort to sound inconsistent. You know, for the funny. You didn't see the smiling icon?

Geez, people take themselves too damned seriously around here.
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:59 am Reply with quote
skaly wrote:

Um, actually I was making a deliberate effort to sound inconsistent. You know, for the funny. You didn't see the smiling icon?

Geez, people take themselves too damned seriously around here.
Sorry, I didn't see the smilie emoticon. For some reason, emoticons, avatars, and those buttons that appear above posts aren't visible on my browser.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
skaly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Sorry, I didn't see the smilie emoticon. For some reason, emoticons, avatars, and those buttons that appear above posts aren't visible on my browser.

It's cool. I shouldn't depend too much on emoticons anyway. Never liked 'em.

I pretty much agree with you that Viz shouldn't mess with the artwork or the story. They're distributors and publishers, not storytellers. Let the paying customers decide, not the ignorant masses.

Marketing to younger audiences via "Shonen Jump" may bring them financial success, but with every alteration they risk losing the true fans. Manga's pretty popular in the mainstream right now, but the mainstream is fickle. When that audience moves on to the next big thing, all that's left is gonna be a bunch of altered books.

When the time comes, I hope Viz and other publishers restore these books to their original (yet translated) form. We just have to wait until anime/manga is too unpopular to be on the radar.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:16 am Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 27 of 27