• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Getting To Know You

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind giving my 'personal information' to them. Razz It's not like it's my credit card or anything. I enjoy doing surveys, and I also like knowing that I'm helping out the site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vegito728

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Ya I like the taking surveys aswell. But it wasn't our addys or anything just name and state. Also the idea about trailers is good(I never thought about that).
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
WEKS wrote:
DriftRoot wrote:
This is the ANIME News Network, not the Manga News Network.

FAQ wrote:
Anime News Network was created as a news source that focuses on the medium of Japanese Animation(anime) and Japanese Comics (manga).

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=145181#145181

You guys have no idea how many manga titles are out there: at the order of hundreds of thousands. Concentrating on anime-related manga would be the most (and probably the only) feasible way right now.

I'm going to have to go with dormcat on this one. His list of criteria (second post) seems pretty solid to me. And, I like the title Anime News Network much better than Manga News Network! Laughing

I also see that since I mention the polls earlier, they've been closed **sigh** Oh well, The Power That Be said that they'd publish the survey results after Sept. 26. I'll be interested in seeing what they are and what the demograpics here are.

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
God Gundam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Why is 4Kids included in the list of anime distributors someone would consider buying from? Does the ANN staff actually think anyone will vote anything higher than "0 - highly unlikely"?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:
Why is 4Kids included in the list of anime distributors someone would consider buying from? Does the ANN staff actually think anyone will vote anything higher than "0 - highly unlikely"?

Because they are an anime company even though most of us disagree with their methods.

ANN is trying to be fair and, more importantly, exact and precise with this survey. Therefore 4kids must be included. I voted "0" myself, that is what ANN is looking for. And I'm sure other companies in the industry will be interested in looking at the results as well. 4kids won't care but they should be included.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
God Gundam wrote:

Because they are an anime company even though most of us disagree with their methods.

Exactly it's just like asking what is your favorite sport and leaving out Hockey, it might be unpopular (for the moment) but there are still going be some people who vote for it. By taking 4Kids off the list it would be saying that we don't think there an anime company that license different properties.

Question to ANN, are we (ANN forum/news visitors) going to get the chance to see the result after the survey window is closed?
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:37 pm Reply with quote
redline wrote:
I just hope readers take a second to consider their personal information is worth exponentially more than free anime copies or magazines.

So many people are interpreting this post in one of two very different ways...

Daimeon wrote:
On a side note, was I completely blind while taking the survey or were there no Nintendo gaming systems except GBA? No love for the Gamecube or the DS. I think I can forgive missing the Gamecube, but c'mon the DS is awesome!

Seriously, I was kind of shocked that the PSP, of all things, was up there while the DS/DS Lite was not. Maybe it has something to do with UMDs? I doubt it, though, since that burned to the ground so horribly (like Blu-Ray will)...

LydiaDianne wrote:
I liked this survey. It showed me what I'm NOT doing anime wise actually. Of course, I'd still probably not do most of it, but nonetheless it did show me what I may be missing.

Same here. I actually did not check a single thing in the list of anime-related activities, etc. I thought about checking the model thing, but the last time I put together a Gundam or Zoids model kit was at least two years ago, I believe.

Tenka-Ichi wrote:
If they had just waited another 10 months to have this survey I could have put High School as my highest level of education completed insted of elementary.

Haha, same here, but alas...

dormcat wrote:
WEKS wrote:
DriftRoot wrote:
This is the ANIME News Network, not the Manga News Network.

FAQ wrote:
Anime News Network was created as a news source that focuses on the medium of Japanese Animation(anime) and Japanese Comics (manga).

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=145181#145181

You guys have no idea how many manga titles are out there: at the order of hundreds of thousands. Concentrating on anime-related manga would be the most (and probably the only) feasible way right now.

I disagree. I don't care what the manga is related to; if it's manga, add it. It cannot do any harm.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I just gave (near) straight 5's for the anime/manga companies as I don't give recommendations by company, just title.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Intresting Survey. Though, they should have had more choices about consoles and such. It was nice to take though, at least I got to show my thoughts on the companys. Smile When I saw that Trinity Blood Vol 1. prize maaan that sent me flyin xD!
Sakura no Miko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Ack! I didn't think of this until mafter I submitted the survey, but...
An improvement: Can we somehow move the ads at the top of the page so they don't cut into the mascot in the top-left? My skin, "A Little Something for the Ladies" looks really terrible with an ad cutting off half of the cute guy's face...
Dax20798

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:10 pm Reply with quote
ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT FOREST FIRES.

Last edited by Dax20798 on Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:15 pm Reply with quote
the survey was okay. i agree with the whole they should of put more consoles in. is ANN anti nintendo? lol.

i cant wait to see the results. my guess is that adv with get highest in recommeded anime companies. 4 kids is the lowest of course.

seaven seas i was surprised it was on here. i didn't know it was that popular. i put 10 for that. plus they got online manga at gomanga.com i like aoi house!
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
I disagree. I don't care what the manga is related to; if it's manga, add it. It cannot do any harm.

Actually, it could do harm. If the staff is trying to focus on adding every single manga, it could take time away from getting to stuff that actually should be added rather than unrelated items. You're also not taking the very low staff into account either. They're already overworked as it is.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:

Actually, it could do harm. If the staff is trying to focus on adding every single manga, it could take time away from getting to stuff that actually should be added rather than unrelated items. You're also not taking the very low staff into account either. They're already overworked as it is.

What I mean to say is if there is some manga that needs to be added, and ANN is aware of it, they should add it. Not at all am I saying they should set aside more time for this process, but if they are just sitting on their hands at some point in time, then they should get to work on this.

In the end, it doesn't even affect me, since I pretty much only read what is usually considered "mainstream", since I do not devote too much money to anime or manga.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Sakura no Miko wrote:
Ack! I didn't think of this until mafter I submitted the survey, but...
An improvement: Can we somehow move the ads at the top of the page so they don't cut into the mascot in the top-left? My skin, "A Little Something for the Ladies" looks really terrible with an ad cutting off half of the cute guy's face...

It's actually something that has to be changed in the skin. Are you the creator of that skin ? Just copy the code currently used in the regular skin, and it should do the trick.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4